Reviews for A Necessary Gift: A Harry Potter Story
this is a fun story
Fick Chick chapter 25 . 9/14
Btw, when did Harry get a wand to replace the one he burned out on the cave? Did he keep the one he accioed there because that one could raise questions if recognized by family members?
Shadowflame3.14 chapter 26 . 9/12
This is a very intriguing and enjoyable story. I think the pureblood society you have created goes far beyond the canon in its complexity and structure, but it is convincing and realistic nonetheless. The plot is intricate but sensible, though there were a few things I found a bit too far fetched. I don't think exorcising Binns was realistic at all nor does it seem to have served a purpose. Also, while it does make sense that Hogwarts has tuition (I did wonder how they paid for it in the books because tuition was never mentioned), having the old headmaster gamble away part of the school took it too far. I can't see anyone who would do that becoming Hogwarts headmaster nor do I think the headmaster has it within his power.

The new Harry/Orion fits in well with Slytherin, but it does seem to make him a completely different character to the original Harry. I suppose he has had some experiences that could lead to a drastic change of character, but I feel like he's fallen into the role of cunning manipulator a little too well. He's also taken to the whole new universe thing really easily. And his temper has completely disappeared.

Having Voldemort join the Wizengamot is a brilliant idea, although I would have thought there would be more involved in adding new members and it was too easy for him. It's good that the timeline is not following the canon too closely (it really wouldn't make sense to), and even with Harry's knowledge the war hasn't become easy.

I think the AU characters are realistic. They haven't felt artificial trying to match their canon personalities. Hermione's character seems pretty on point for what she would be like in this situation although she is showing her Gryffindor side a little too much instead of being a Slytherin. Interesting choice putting her in Slytherin, and I think she could be a little more cunning than she has been.

It's a great story and I do hope you continue. It focuses on intrigue rather than action which is a refreshing change from most fanfics which often have action but little plot development.
Cursa chapter 26 . 9/11
I love the complexity of this story! Absolutely fantastic! I have pretty much read it straight through and am now hungry for more. I hope you continue soon!
Sue Clover chapter 26 . 9/11
Oh my gods, things are heating up. I like the bit with Hermione, understanding her perspective a bit better. I'm glad she's maybe coming to understand Orion a bit more. Or if not understand him, then at least accept him a bit more. I also think it's cool that while he still thinks of himself as Harry, he's referred to as Orion when it's anyone else's POV, which makes perfect sense. The Wizengamot thing was also really good, and 'hell in a handbasket' is a very apt phrase for how things seem to be going. I'm pretty shocked that Sirius let the goblins take his wand, isn't that illegal? But desperate times call for desperate measures, and needs must. But I'm rather scared what sacrifices Sirius might make in order to forestall the coming crisis.
Oh, and Harry needs to practice his Occlumency a bit more. Just in case.
Sue Clover chapter 25 . 9/11
Well, I feel this chapter was just fine. Better than fine, it seemed to be quite up to the standards of the rest of your chapters. I do think it was a might depressing, what with everything seeming to be going wrong, so maybe a little more lighthearted comedic relief or something wouldn't go amiss, but overall I think it's going quite well.
Sue Clover chapter 24 . 9/11
Ohhh, boy. Their aims don't seem too far-fetched, overall, but I just know SPELL will be seen as them forming an army of muggleborns to upset the status quo, and everything will just become increasingly 'us' versus 'them.' This is going to be a problem.
Sue Clover chapter 23 . 9/11
Ugh, I can't figure out the anagram! What is something related to Voldy that has a P in it?
I guess I'll take this moment to tell you how much I like this story. It's really interesting, and I love all the character development going on, how the characters are themselves, yet different. I love how well thought out all the differences between canon and this AU seem. And the plot. I like how every time they take a step forward, they mostly succeed, but there are negative consequences. Like all the ghosts avoiding or harassing him for getting rid of Binns. And then sometimes the enemy wins, like Voldemort stealing the stone and getting a body back. It's all fascinating, and I look forward to reading more. I'm not even caught up with where you are in the writing yet! I will be soon, I'm sure, though.
Acacia Jules chapter 25 . 9/11
I want to like this. I DID like this. But it's gotten SO BORING. Politics is so fucking boring, it's not funny. There's a reason you don't see many books that make every single thing that happens/doesn't happen politics, unless there is action involved. It just makes the story DRAG, and you just stop caring, and realize it's all pointless, because NOTHING IS EVER GOING TO HAPPEN. Not to mention, Harry's become a pureblood asshole.
Acacia Jules chapter 2 . 9/10
The whole underage magic thing only applies to students after the age of 11 who have wands. The only reason they went after Harry was because he was in a muggle home, and they knew a student was there, so there should be no magic happening, thus why Dobby's magic was thought as Harry's. But nothing he'd done PRIOR to that was ever mentioned.
MarshMadness chapter 26 . 9/5
Sucha a good story please please please keep writing it.
Padfoot's Time Turner chapter 26 . 9/3
This story is pretty awesome. I love your character development and plot. The only actual problem is how frustrating the story is, but I suppose that's points for you for having me sympathize with the character's views. All in all, this is a great fic and I think you should keep writing.
daisycb chapter 10 . 9/2
I've always wondered why Hermione could do spells prior to starting Hogwarts and not get an owl from that underage magic department that was always after Harry and the fact that Hermione didn't mention that discrepancy when Harry had his hearing or the other two instances. I'm enjoying your interesting take on Harry's story.
Calypto chapter 25 . 9/2
wow every time i read Hermione behaving like she is the undoubted moral compass of the universe I feel like ripping my spleen out. its so damn retarded that a diagnosis of bipolarity would not be farfetched. nyways im done with this fic, gl writing further
mckertis chapter 15 . 8/31
Yeah, Wolfsbane potion was SUCH a "great" idea. Now, the criminals who are werewolves can keep their mind while transformed, and attack who they want, instead of whoever is nearby ! Seriously, the way some people keep jamming the frigging potion into their fics without for a moment thinking about the implications...
3,698 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »