Reviews for A Necessary Gift: A Harry Potter Story
Nara Merald chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
Argh how frustrating! I can't wait to see Sirius kick some serious governing board arse!
joniskpelare chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
Personally, I quite like your story.
Shinkansen chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
Your story is amazing. Why would anyone care what a bunch of elitist, self-proclaimed pseudo-critics and quasi-experts (and consisted mostly of mediocre writers at best, if writers at all) at DLP think is beyond me.

You fic simply makes readers feel good while they read it, it's sharply written (it's perfectly understandable, memorable and even after a lot of time has passed I don't need to backtrack to keep up with the new content) and the characters are memorable as well as easily connected to.
crazyelf chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
Doesent DLP forums hate 99.99% of fanfics anyway?I would give very little importance to opinion of that egoinflated, overly self-important bunch of ill-manered scrubs that act like they have PhD in English and literature,yet most of them are barely able to write more than: this sucks etc etc.
LuxEterna1 chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
yay a new chapter :D
and hey its a great story dont let anyone tell you otherwise
SR chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
You updated!

Finally, another excellent chapter...I'm interested to see how far Sirius' career in the field of education will go and what the werewolves will do with their new options...

Don't take DLP's opinion too hard...while some of them do give good advice (and write great stories themselves)...others only seem to take pleasure in downgrading a story for fun

Although I can't understand why they would have such a bad opinion of this fic...I mean your grammar is good, no overblown allknowing SuperHarry, an interesting and never before explored twist on the mudblood issue...the plot is as far as I can see sound and in contrast to a lot of other alternate universe junping fics Harry does actually do something different than in canon

please don't take to long to update again
Teufel1987 chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
DLP hates you?

Meh, join the club!

At times they come up with stupid reasons why a story sucks.

And heaven help you if you even say a bad word about Hermione or a good word about Ron!

Anyway, nice to see that the story isn't dead. Great chapter!

Perhaps they are planning on an exorcism?

There's one point I'd like to point out though: in Harry's third year, he had summer homework from Binns, an essay about witch burnings.

So I think that it's quite safe to say that he doesn't always talk about goblin rebellions.

Also he did at one point lecture about some historical event involving the Wizengamot …
Snakefang93 chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
You saw the DLP reviews? lol.
Still, some of them offer sincere constructive criticism compared to some who make it their sole purpose of existence in criticizing other's work when they can't write a couple of lines on their own.
Beyogi chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
What is the DLP forum and why would you care? Anyway, great story so far. How would muggleborns ever appreciate Wizarding culture if they do their best to appear as backwards as they can and reject them on general principle. "Die Mudblood!" Isn't exactly encouraging to find out more. Actually that makes me wonder why they didn't establish several parralel cultures that only use the same shopping area and school. Although, maybe they did.

Thank you for writing this captivating story, I can't wait for the next chapter,
catspaw439 chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
Another excellent chapter. I am looking forward to the next one.
kimberly kim chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
Btw I love your stories :)
Forget what others say cause you have an amazing writing style :D
misto713 chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
:D Just have Harry exorcise Binns. Then they can complain about budget all they want, but theyd still have to hire someone new.

Btw, I somehow doubt things are THAT bad with the budget. Unless someone is "helping themselves" to a good portion of it. Most of the castle is not in use, the repairs can be done by house elves (and should be done by Filch, too bad hes a squib *sigh*) and if they stopped wasting so much on food thats never going to get eaten, theyd have more money. Seriously, tabless full of food that vanished back into the kitchens when they stop eating? Somehow I doubt the house elves are preserving it - they dont seem to understand economics, not even a little bit.

What about donations? Didnt Malfoy donate a lot in canon? Cant Sirius do the same? Or perhaps, you know, tell the general public, muggleborn including, about the problem, so they can donate?

Great chapter, looking forward to the next one :)
ProcrastinationIsMyCrime chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
Interesting meeting with Dobby. What a tragic end to the canon world. Wonder if Hermione will try anything when she learns Harry died
tryagain4me chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
I love your story! It's seriously my favorite one right now. I've been reading ff for years and have never heard of dlp so don't pay attention to it
Crystal M. Key chapter 20 . 4/7/2013
This story is a lot of fun. In the beginning I was worried that Sirius would really turn out to be the Secret Keeper, parallel worlds and all. I liked the poisoning of Footswitch. The glimpse of Luna was awesome. When is Harry goign to start thinking of himself as Orion? I look forward to your next update, thanks! Favorite quotes:

"Not killed!" Dobby's tennis-ball eyes grew even wider. "Never killed. Dobby is wanting Harry Potter to be safe and happy and wrinkled!"

"Wrinkled? You mean old?"

Dobby nodded enthusiastically. "Very wrinkled!"

Sirius struck a heroic pose. It looked rather odd on someone wearing a yellow hospital gown.

They stared at each other for a long moment. "Determination and a lust for revenge," Mrs Black said finally, a slight smile playing on her lips. "Those are Black traits and you have them in abundance… you always did."

"I may be a Gryffindor and a Blood-Traitor, but I've never denied being a Black," Sirius reminded her.

Sirius shook his head. "Whatever we were interested in, really. It's more that we Blacks have never cared about the legality of the spells we learn. I mean, the Ministry is made up of a bunch of idiots, so why should we listen to anything they have to say?"

"Oi! Orion! You awake yet?"

"I am now," Harry grumbled into his pillow.

"Magic isn't really logical, Orion," Sirius said. "It's bizarre and often unpredictable. Logic is a muggle thing. It doesn't really have a place when it comes to magic."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Well that's obvious. Wizards and witches seem to be utterly irrational most of the time, and believe the stupidest things."

"Well, it has its drawbacks," Sirius admitted with a shrug. "On the other hand, being too fond of logic and reason isn't a good thing either. Advanced magic is almost impossible to perform if you're trying to follow some sort of prescribed formula or set of rules. It's not a coincidence that the greatest witches and wizards tend to also be the craziest."

The rest of the staff also shared fond reminiscences, while Peeves celebrated your release by setting off a whole crate of fireworks inside Mr Filch's office. The resulting display was most entertaining.

Severus, I regret to relate, refuses to give a quotable opinion on the matter. I myself am considering betting a whole bag of sherbet lemons on Orion being sorted into Gryffindor. With such high stakes I would very much appreciate any insider information you could offer.

Harry and Draco spent over an hour dipping and diving and trying to outdo each other in spectacular airborne tricks. They didn't have a Snitch to chase and there weren't any Quidditch hoops to toss a Quaffle through, so they ended up inventing a game of 'who can fly closest to the waves without getting wet' and 'who can make Ernie scream loudest by dive-bombing him'.

"What was great was that Arcturus defended you. Well, really he just didn't want to let a Malfoy criticise a Black, but it worked out to the same thing. He went on about resourceful and magically talented you are, and how you're a credit to the family name and everything."

"Really?" Harry looked up in amazement. "Why would he say that? He knows I'm no good when it comes to pureblood manners and he's never seen me perform any spells."

Sirius grinned. "I know. He pulled me aside once the Malfoys had left and said I'd better make sure your spell-casting was up to scratch before you start Hogwarts. It's a matter of family pride to him now."

"Wait, is that the House-elf who sent you to this universe after you were hit by a Killing Curse?" Sirius asked, then paused. "That was the craziest sentence I've ever said by the way."

Harry tossed the newspaper onto the kitchen table. A photo of Sirius in formal robes smirked up at him from the cover. The real wizard - looking much more groggy and dishevelled - sat opposite him, clutching a cup of coffee in one hand and stifling a yawn with the other.

Harry smiled teasingly at him. "It seems you've become a productive member of society at last, Sirius! But seriously, this is good - you somehow managed to come across as a dependable family man with strong convictions who has endured years of suffering due to the Ministry of Magic's corrupt legal system. That and the picture of you winking at the camera will make every housewife reading this fall in love with you. It's perfect."

"Why the tone of surprise?" Sirius pressed a hand to his chest in mock indignation.

"Scrimgeour as Minister?" Sirius looked appalled. "That's something we have to make absolutely certain never happens in this world, got it?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, pretty much. Look, I'll tell you what. How about we agree that I won't care about your muggle family as long as you don't hold my snobbish relatives against me? That way we'll still be able to be good friends."

"F-friends?" Hermione stuttered in amazement. "I mean, I'd love to be… but how can you be sure you like me after only one short train journey?"

"I have a sixth sense about people," Harry said with a grin.

Harry could see why the Hat had agreed, no matter how reluctantly. Hermione could be cunning and she did have ambition if you counted her burning desire to read every single book in existence.

Harry smiled at her. "Cool. Good to know. Hey Hermione, meet another one of my cousins!"

Hermione didn't bother looking up from her textbook. "Are all of you purebloods related to each other?" she asked while turning a page.

"Pretty much," Hannah said cheerfully.

"Come on, admit it - you'd love to see Draco humble himself in front of the entire school."

"It would be quite satisfying," Hermione admitted, a sly smile tugging at her lips.

"Never fear, ickle firsties," said George. "We're not in the business of selling anyone."

"Well there was that time we tried to trade Ron here to a passing circus."

"True, Fred. Pity mum stopped us."

"So?" said Fred. "If George here was ever stupid enough to go and get himself bitten by a werewolf, I'd just have to become one too. It's not like I could let him have all the fun - witches dig scars, after all."

"And facial hair." George ran a palm over his smooth chin. "Werewolves certainly have the advantage there - I wonder what I'd look like with a beard?"

"Not as handsome as I would, I'm sure," said Fred and grinned at his twin.

"Well pranking is sort of in my blood," Harry said with an overly casual shrug. "I'm the son of a marauder after all."

The twins stared at him, their faces suddenly taking on entirely different expressions.

"Say that again?"

"The son of a what?"

Harry airily waved his comment away while inwardly laughing to himself.

"Wakey wakey, Mr Black!"

Sirius blearily opened his eyes, only to let out a startled yelp at the sight of Dobby hovering over him, so close their noses were almost touching.

"Would you stop doing that!" Sirius struggled with his bed covers until he was in a sitting position. "It's creepy!" He clutched a hand to his chest as he waited for his heart rate to slow down. It gave him a nasty shock every time he woke up with Dobby's bulbous green eyes peering down at him - one the elf seemed to delight in inflicting.

"I suppose I may have mellowed slightly in my old age." Arcturus sounded amused. "I shall leave the extremism to members of the younger generations."

Hermione frowned, clearly unhappy at the idea but unwilling to let Draco have the upper hand. "Well I don't need some special affinity in order to cast spells properly, as proven by the fact that I managed to levitate my feather before you did."

"Shut up, Granger," was Draco's eloquent response.

Nott started laughing again while Harry winked at Hermione behind Draco's back.

"How can you say that?" Neville wailed. "I haven't managed to cast a single spell right. Not one! All I manage to do is make things explode or go up in flames. Yesterday, I set fire to Professor Footswitch's hair!"

Harry grinned. "Did you? Good for you."

"But I didn't do it on purpose," Neville said, wringing his hands.

Harry's last coherent thought before nodding off was that all Black Family gatherings should include large amounts of alcohol - there hadn't been a single mention of proper etiquette or arranged marriages all evening.

Harry realised that Snape's research into the Wolfsbane potion had given him a renewed sense of purpose. Watching the Potions Professor gleefully give Ron a detention for breathing too loudly, Harry was by no means convinced that was a good thing, however.

"Wotcher, Uncle Sirius!" Tonks said cheerfully as she slid in next to him. "You look like crap."

Sirius ignored her in favour of the chipped mug she was holding. "Is that coffee?"

"Yep, for you!" Tonks looked proud of herself as she presented it to him.

Sirius gulped down the scalding liquid all in on go. "You're the best trainee ever," he said fervently, banishing the empty mug back to the break room.

"Cool. Uh, would you mind writing that in my file?" Tonks asked hopefully.

Before Sirius could explain that anything said under the influence of a coffee rush shouldn't be taken seriously…

Walking towards the door in defeat, Sirius suddenly paused and turned back. "Lockhart's been hired as the Defence against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts, you know. I'm sure the students will learn a lot from him. Good news for the next crop of Auror recruits, don't you think?"

Before the end of the day Lockhart had been arrested and an experienced Auror had been encouraged to take up teaching.

Orion frowned. "You mean I missed a party?"

"That's what you got from everything I just said?" Sirius asked.

He'd been approaching it all wrong, he realised. Politics had never been Sirius' strong point; pranking, on the hand, was something he was very good at.
3,260 | « Prev Page 1 .. 94 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 114 .. Last Next »