Reviews for A Necessary Gift: A Harry Potter Story
intoxicatedasphyxiation chapter 18 . 11/8/2012
Brilliant story. I was skeptical at first when he spilled the truth to Sirius about his true origins, but you manuevered it skillfully into a wonderful tale and excellent character development. Excellent job. Keep up the fantastic work!
W.Kathy chapter 3 . 11/5/2012
This is good! Especially the part where Sirius inherited the Potter vaults...usually it's the other way round. I love the plot too, where Harry gets a second, or wait, is that a third? chance at life, and this time he can go on without the stigma of BWL hanging over his head.
SeverAllTies chapter 18 . 11/4/2012
THIS IS SO GOOD! Took me two days to read it all even when I really should have been doing work ahah. Following!
Guest chapter 11 . 11/2/2012
"Augurey feathers repel ink, making them useless as Quill feathers."

Just read this on the Harry Potter wiki.
Crest1 chapter 10 . 11/1/2012
What a delightful story. And there's comparatively little to complain about with regard to grammar and syntax. OK, I found a few little things, but this story is far above average in that regard, especially if you are without a beta.

As for the plot: it's refreshingly new and it is just the right mix of old and new, known and unknown. I like the introspective parts and rather slow plot; it gives enough room for the new/old characters to develop.

All in all: please continue!

... and thanks!

dhh chapter 2 . 11/1/2012
It kinda sucks that you'd off Luna but NOT the knowitallb*tch and ron..TYPICAL and too cliche and canon! I mean, are all authors that weak? URGH!

Oh and NO ROMANCE! What's wrong with you?
blisfulloblivion chapter 16 . 11/1/2012
I am so happy you gave him the ability and you gave decent reasons for how he came about it. I was really leery when you sorted Hermione into Slytherin but so far you've made it work. That you for keeping her in character I was scared for a bit that you were going to turn into into a mushy pairing between her and Harry. To many time travel fics where that happens "shudder." I love your story so far and I'm excited to continue reading, good luck!
ryuou chapter 18 . 10/30/2012
Great fic
Ten Toes chapter 16 . 10/30/2012
yes, I like Harry being a real Assessor. I think it adds to the storyline and character plus giving you the ability to use it in future places in the story as sort of a deux ex machina w/o being so obviously out of nowhere. It's a great smoother of the bumps he and sirius will encounter and a really interesting possible 'power he knows not'... not to mention that it is fun as a reader for harry to just know things about the other characters that he shouldn't really know!

MidNite Phoenix chapter 18 . 10/29/2012
Great story! I've never read Aya Macchiato's story so to me it seems like a new take on an old plot and Im really enjoyingenjoying it. Can't wait for the next update :)
Guest chapter 4 . 10/28/2012
hello, went you change chapter one and two you fogot to change chapter three in it harry said to sirius that he apparated from surrey to london but with the change he never went there.

Great story

phazer11 chapter 18 . 10/28/2012
I must say I've enjoyed this so far. It's one of the better Time Travel and Dimension Hopping stories, it is also fairly well written much more so than I can say for many of the others.
R-Gomeni chapter 18 . 10/26/2012
Fascinating story. I'm not usually a fan of the really political, Slytherin Harry stories, but I found myself enjoying this one despite myself. The whole bit about inherited magics was really interesting, and I like how you've been consistent with its usage. I'm also really glad you chose to keep calling Harry 'Harry', because I agree with what you said others had argued: to call him anything else would have turned him into little more than an OC.

I think it's also been good to see a story where not everything works out perfectly: Melania is a good example, where in one sentence she's the overbearing grandmother wanting better for her famiy, and the next she's an unapologetic bigot. The fact that you've maintained the humanity of the characters is one of the main selling points, and I've enjoyed it. The other thing I've enjoyed is how you've intensified some of the prejudices that we saw in the books: it's kind of chilling in how natural it is for everyone to be so discriminatory, and you've brought that across really effectively.

On the flipside, I'm kind of frustrated by how easily Harry's accepting all this. I can see how a lot of what you're writing about is easily extrapolated from the books, and I've really loved how much you've turned on its head, but the way Harry is just so easily fitting into pureblood society is too simple and I think undermines what we know of his character from the books. While I can understand why you've chosen to do it that way, it's still a struggle for me to suspend my disbelief enough to read it sometimes.

That said, you completely blindsided me with the Philosopher's Stone thing and I loved it! Usually I can see exactly where a story's going, especially with the whole Horcrux hunt etc, but the last sentence was awesome precisely because it was so unexpected. I had a trajectory all laid out in my head for where I thought you'd take the story next (and the trajectories I form are unfortunately rarely proven wrong) but in one sentence you obliterated that, and got me completely hooked in the process.

So, to say I'm looking forward to next chapter would be an understatement. Thanks for a great read and I can't wait for more!
AlsoKnownAsMatt chapter 18 . 10/24/2012
I've just cauht up this story and really like it. I think this is one of the few ways that Harry could be in Slytherin without his being killed. Your Hermione on the other hand, I'd think, would be a prime target for assassination. In this area I think you're not meeting with reality in that it would be all-too-easy for a seventh year to difindo her head off in the middle of the night with no-one knowing...and I'm virtually sure that with the politics and history of the matter as you've set them up, this would be Hermione's fate.
Aside from this, I think you've got Malfoy spot-on and like how you've structured the pureblood politics and pressure for marriage. This is very similar to historic versions of how the aristocracy handled things and I think "in character" for a wizarding world that is at least a century behind in many sociological ways.
Thanks loads for an excellent story, I will look forward to future chapters whenever they come out.
serenityselena chapter 18 . 10/23/2012
the end of the first school year was really interesting and the theft of the Philosopher's Stone was quite shocking...
hope to read more soon :)
3,260 | « Prev Page 1 .. 117 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 137 .. Last Next »