Reviews for High Calling
MorganShepard chapter 3 . 3/3
Thorthemighty321 chapter 3 . 10/12/2015
Congratulations on having this published! You know how to write a good piece of kit.
Derrox-1223 chapter 3 . 9/13/2015
Well, this is a bit of a let down. Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for the book.
krevLL chapter 3 . 8/6/2015
Holy crap, congrats! That's awesome that you published. Will there be a paperback?

Good job!
MorganShepard chapter 31 . 5/3/2015
I don't know if I ever told you how much bullshit it was that Russians magically had 2 SAMs hidden away XD Just like "Just then, the whole mission was fucked." XD
UltraMickey chapter 26 . 11/9/2014
F-35C's are useless? Are the specs legitimate? Cuz US is spending billions on a pathetic aircraft like this if it's true.
Ronin201 chapter 35 . 1/31/2014
Well, a good story and one that shows you know how to write the art of air combat. I'm afraid to say it didn't blow me away, but I can't say it was horrible. Anyways, the story seems to do a good job at a subject that seems hard to navigate without being clichéd: The U.S. vs. Russia. There were many pleasant surprises, such as the Chinese helping the allies at first (their double-cross was also well done) and the battles had me riveted. Your knowledge about modern weapons is top notch and I liked seeing such a variety of aircraft that were portrayed in a way I could call accurate, and what I think was the best part is you didn't try to portray the Flanker, Su-50, or F-22 as some kind of god-tier machine. At times the explanations for things were a tad jarring but I can understand the problem and it didn't derail things too much, but things were also sometimes rushed in the plot. Watch out for that as it can make a story feel shallow, so don't be afraid to take things just a little slowly at times, it gives you a great chance to develop characters and subplots. Speaking of characters, my favorite was Tony. He is the kind of character you should keep. The guy's a good pilot and a good person, you hit the nail on the head with him. He tries to stay close to his morals and struggles with things in a way that made me care about him. His buddies also work pretty well and I look forward to their exploits in Flood of Dragons (when I read it), and I hope to learn more about them. The ending surprised me but felt a little too deus ex despite your wanting to follow the Biblical Prophecies. In all it had high points and low ones, and it made this fellow American feel patriotic. I look forward to seeing what happens in Flood of Dragons!
Pirate King Ray chapter 5 . 1/8/2014
The problem is that various intelligence services have confirmed that iran doesn't have the capability to produce nuclear weapons and won't for some time. Even us administrations have. Israel has also committed war crimes in the past and is as much to blame as the palestinians
R3.0 chapter 11 . 12/28/2013
Oh man… This is nowhere near over yet. I have a feeling that the shit-storm has just begun and much props to Vanya for coming up with an idea so quickly. I assumed her need to be speedy about the whole thing made for the reason why she completely didn’t think of the camera. And I was wondering about what would happen with Nathan and her in regards to escaping, since Nathan doesn’t know what’s going on in Kuwait and instinctively fly there. Good to know he had enough fuel to manage to get anywhere.

Anyway, another great chapter though again I got that rushed feeling in parts like Vanya’s escape, though admittedly I understand why that scene was rushed. There was a need for immediate panic and urgency there. However, I got the same rushed sensation on the scene towards the end with Maraklov. For that moment I just didn’t believe it I guess.

He’s supposed to believe that his daughter, his only bit of family and flesh and blood, is gone forever and that just never really came across to me. It felt more like an afterthought. Maybe that was what you intended, but it doesn’t feel that way either.

If it was an afterthought and the fact that she’s putting the Prime Minister’s mission in jeopardy truly dos mean more to him than her betrayal, you should emphasize that more, but if he’s genuinely sorrowful for her it would be best to drag the scene out with more detail and deeper thought into his missing little girl. Also I feel like after feeling such loss and devastation over her he should at least be somewhat furious with her for the truth of the matter. First she makes him think she’s dead only to realize that she faked it and betrayed them while escaping with the enemy in hand. There’s got to be a level of hurt and betrayal there that we aren’t seeing and balancing that with his love for her and desire for her to live through this all probably would be interesting to see.
R3.0 chapter 10 . 12/28/2013
I’m loving these characters more and more with each chapter. Felt really sorry for Nathan and was bummed about Romeo, but I couldn’t blame Romeo for what he did at all. Still I really felt for Nathan for having to see that. Not only was he there to see Baker and his WSO go down, Romeo too, only to have it all closely followed by torture. Poor guy.

It all came to the best moment of the chapter though which was Vanya’s appearance in front of Nathan. That was so perfect, and I will totally wish him the best of luck there. Hey maybe he can use marriage as an excuse for citizenship. :p Go team Nanya!
R3.0 chapter 9 . 12/28/2013
Nooooooo! Nathan! Man, they are dropping like flies. I didn’t expect so many to go down. Naturally, I expected that not everyone would make it, but you are not pulling the punches at all which I appreciate, understand, and absolutely hate you for as a person who’s starting to develop affection for these characters. Now I have a feeling that instead of getting excited for every future engagement I should probably fear them solely for the sake of the characters, but that’s probably how it should be though. As cool as dogfights are they are extremely dangerous and it’s good to experience the fear with the characters that next time they just might not make it.

Yet another great chapter that had me on the edge of my seat. LIVE, SCORCH! LIVE!
R3.0 chapter 8 . 12/28/2013
*Bathes in the amazingness that is this chapter*

Where have you been all my life?!

This chapter was everything I expected or wanted for the others. Great action and character, great tension, and Tony… OMG emotions and feeling galore! I finally felt for him and was right there with him in his building fear and panic and it was so nice to feel that. I really did want to care for him and it was like it all finally came out here. I couldn’t put my kindle down and stop reading through this whole chapter and I’m sick and running off now sleep and half of a large Coke. You balanced everything so perfectly here.

And ‘YAY’ Scorch is back! I was hoping he would be, especially with how that first chapter went and how good it was. I didn’t want to leave him doing something he completely loathed and regretted doing and I hoped his situations would get better. Looks like his still suffering from his actions though and it is reasonably eating at him even if he did what he felt was right… to some extent.

ON TO THE NEXT CHAPTER!
R3.0 chapter 7 . 12/28/2013
Yet more build up and probably my least favorite of your chapters due to the missed opportunity here. After revealing that Tony was scared I was really hoping to see a bit more to his thought process and personality and maybe even a bit of a look into what matters most to him here, but unfortunately no.

This chapter is by far the best example of what I feel has been most commonly wrong with the past couple of chapters. The main character here has just realized how unlikely it is that he’ll come back from this and instead of delving into his emotions on what or who he may leave behind, lose, and miss out on we get a few historical and religious lessons and a couple of bible verses, then a fully detailed explanation of the interworkings of his jet and him taking off.

I mean I understand how motivating the bible can be, but the man is still human and I’m sure he’s still completely afraid of dying or worse, failure. This was a perfect opportunity to get us more invested in him as a person and that was completely brushed aside. It is 7 chapters in and all I really know about Tony in a nutshell is that he’s a devout Christian, loves to fly, and isn’t eager to be humiliated. I know and care more about the side characters and the villain than I do him at the moment and I still care and miss Scorch more than anyone else.

Don’t get me wrong. I know this gets better, and I know what you did tell us was truly important to the story, and I know I’m probably still reading the stuff you wrote in high school, but with your goal for this story as big as it is this flaw needs serious emphasis. People need to care about Tony at least by the first or second chapter he’s in if you want them to invest time and money into reading about him.
R3.0 chapter 6 . 12/27/2013
This was a nice set up and build of tension in regards to Krylov. Now I’m sort of excited for what is going to happen her especially since I know a bit about what is going to happen in the long run thanks to you telling me. It makes me more excited for the future.

Not much to say about this chapter in whole other than that it was a nice improvement from the last. Also my recollection at how you wrote a good deal of this in high school bowls me away. You were a very well studied and smart kit to have all this tactical and political information with a great deal of the elements of truth floating around in there. I mean, naturally I knew you knew a lot about this stuff back then but really to see the extent of your knowledge in action for myself is really something different. Lord, and I know you've only gotten smarter since then. I have to admit with all the stuff going on in here I feel like I need to be smarter in order to read this and that’s a good feeling to have… well at least for me.

Alright well on to the next chapter.
R3.0 chapter 5 . 12/27/2013
Yet another chapter with not so much character and more set up. I have to say that as interesting as this looks to be setting up I'm really feeling cheated here especially since you are more prone to mentioning character interaction that happened in the past rather than showing it (like Pat and Romeo's previous interactions). Then we only get a brief glimpse of it for ourselves. Your story so far has a great plot and brilliant set up with ideas that I can completely believe to be genuinely real, but I can't bring myself to care as much as I want to when I have so little to connect myself with the characters.

Thankfully, I’m getting the feeling that we’re hitting the ending of the exposition and the story will get on its feet and start moving soon enough.

And my goodness I had no idea that initiation thing was real! I read through it with genuine curiosity that it may in fact be, but the idea that it actually was had me surprised. Good lord, is the salmonella to the point of everyone getting antibiotics before the initiation true?