Reviews for High Calling
MorganShepard chapter 31 . 5/3
I don't know if I ever told you how much bullshit it was that Russians magically had 2 SAMs hidden away XD Just like "Just then, the whole mission was fucked." XD
UltraMickey chapter 26 . 11/9/2014
F-35C's are useless? Are the specs legitimate? Cuz US is spending billions on a pathetic aircraft like this if it's true.
Ronin201 chapter 35 . 1/31/2014
Well, a good story and one that shows you know how to write the art of air combat. I'm afraid to say it didn't blow me away, but I can't say it was horrible. Anyways, the story seems to do a good job at a subject that seems hard to navigate without being clichéd: The U.S. vs. Russia. There were many pleasant surprises, such as the Chinese helping the allies at first (their double-cross was also well done) and the battles had me riveted. Your knowledge about modern weapons is top notch and I liked seeing such a variety of aircraft that were portrayed in a way I could call accurate, and what I think was the best part is you didn't try to portray the Flanker, Su-50, or F-22 as some kind of god-tier machine. At times the explanations for things were a tad jarring but I can understand the problem and it didn't derail things too much, but things were also sometimes rushed in the plot. Watch out for that as it can make a story feel shallow, so don't be afraid to take things just a little slowly at times, it gives you a great chance to develop characters and subplots. Speaking of characters, my favorite was Tony. He is the kind of character you should keep. The guy's a good pilot and a good person, you hit the nail on the head with him. He tries to stay close to his morals and struggles with things in a way that made me care about him. His buddies also work pretty well and I look forward to their exploits in Flood of Dragons (when I read it), and I hope to learn more about them. The ending surprised me but felt a little too deus ex despite your wanting to follow the Biblical Prophecies. In all it had high points and low ones, and it made this fellow American feel patriotic. I look forward to seeing what happens in Flood of Dragons!
Pirate King Ray chapter 5 . 1/8/2014
The problem is that various intelligence services have confirmed that iran doesn't have the capability to produce nuclear weapons and won't for some time. Even us administrations have. Israel has also committed war crimes in the past and is as much to blame as the palestinians
R3.0 chapter 11 . 12/28/2013
Oh man… This is nowhere near over yet. I have a feeling that the shit-storm has just begun and much props to Vanya for coming up with an idea so quickly. I assumed her need to be speedy about the whole thing made for the reason why she completely didn’t think of the camera. And I was wondering about what would happen with Nathan and her in regards to escaping, since Nathan doesn’t know what’s going on in Kuwait and instinctively fly there. Good to know he had enough fuel to manage to get anywhere.

Anyway, another great chapter though again I got that rushed feeling in parts like Vanya’s escape, though admittedly I understand why that scene was rushed. There was a need for immediate panic and urgency there. However, I got the same rushed sensation on the scene towards the end with Maraklov. For that moment I just didn’t believe it I guess.

He’s supposed to believe that his daughter, his only bit of family and flesh and blood, is gone forever and that just never really came across to me. It felt more like an afterthought. Maybe that was what you intended, but it doesn’t feel that way either.

If it was an afterthought and the fact that she’s putting the Prime Minister’s mission in jeopardy truly dos mean more to him than her betrayal, you should emphasize that more, but if he’s genuinely sorrowful for her it would be best to drag the scene out with more detail and deeper thought into his missing little girl. Also I feel like after feeling such loss and devastation over her he should at least be somewhat furious with her for the truth of the matter. First she makes him think she’s dead only to realize that she faked it and betrayed them while escaping with the enemy in hand. There’s got to be a level of hurt and betrayal there that we aren’t seeing and balancing that with his love for her and desire for her to live through this all probably would be interesting to see.
R3.0 chapter 10 . 12/28/2013
I’m loving these characters more and more with each chapter. Felt really sorry for Nathan and was bummed about Romeo, but I couldn’t blame Romeo for what he did at all. Still I really felt for Nathan for having to see that. Not only was he there to see Baker and his WSO go down, Romeo too, only to have it all closely followed by torture. Poor guy.

It all came to the best moment of the chapter though which was Vanya’s appearance in front of Nathan. That was so perfect, and I will totally wish him the best of luck there. Hey maybe he can use marriage as an excuse for citizenship. :p Go team Nanya!
R3.0 chapter 9 . 12/28/2013
Nooooooo! Nathan! Man, they are dropping like flies. I didn’t expect so many to go down. Naturally, I expected that not everyone would make it, but you are not pulling the punches at all which I appreciate, understand, and absolutely hate you for as a person who’s starting to develop affection for these characters. Now I have a feeling that instead of getting excited for every future engagement I should probably fear them solely for the sake of the characters, but that’s probably how it should be though. As cool as dogfights are they are extremely dangerous and it’s good to experience the fear with the characters that next time they just might not make it.

Yet another great chapter that had me on the edge of my seat. LIVE, SCORCH! LIVE!
R3.0 chapter 8 . 12/28/2013
*Bathes in the amazingness that is this chapter*

Where have you been all my life?!

This chapter was everything I expected or wanted for the others. Great action and character, great tension, and Tony… OMG emotions and feeling galore! I finally felt for him and was right there with him in his building fear and panic and it was so nice to feel that. I really did want to care for him and it was like it all finally came out here. I couldn’t put my kindle down and stop reading through this whole chapter and I’m sick and running off now sleep and half of a large Coke. You balanced everything so perfectly here.

And ‘YAY’ Scorch is back! I was hoping he would be, especially with how that first chapter went and how good it was. I didn’t want to leave him doing something he completely loathed and regretted doing and I hoped his situations would get better. Looks like his still suffering from his actions though and it is reasonably eating at him even if he did what he felt was right… to some extent.

ON TO THE NEXT CHAPTER!
R3.0 chapter 7 . 12/28/2013
Yet more build up and probably my least favorite of your chapters due to the missed opportunity here. After revealing that Tony was scared I was really hoping to see a bit more to his thought process and personality and maybe even a bit of a look into what matters most to him here, but unfortunately no.

This chapter is by far the best example of what I feel has been most commonly wrong with the past couple of chapters. The main character here has just realized how unlikely it is that he’ll come back from this and instead of delving into his emotions on what or who he may leave behind, lose, and miss out on we get a few historical and religious lessons and a couple of bible verses, then a fully detailed explanation of the interworkings of his jet and him taking off.

I mean I understand how motivating the bible can be, but the man is still human and I’m sure he’s still completely afraid of dying or worse, failure. This was a perfect opportunity to get us more invested in him as a person and that was completely brushed aside. It is 7 chapters in and all I really know about Tony in a nutshell is that he’s a devout Christian, loves to fly, and isn’t eager to be humiliated. I know and care more about the side characters and the villain than I do him at the moment and I still care and miss Scorch more than anyone else.

Don’t get me wrong. I know this gets better, and I know what you did tell us was truly important to the story, and I know I’m probably still reading the stuff you wrote in high school, but with your goal for this story as big as it is this flaw needs serious emphasis. People need to care about Tony at least by the first or second chapter he’s in if you want them to invest time and money into reading about him.
R3.0 chapter 6 . 12/27/2013
This was a nice set up and build of tension in regards to Krylov. Now I’m sort of excited for what is going to happen her especially since I know a bit about what is going to happen in the long run thanks to you telling me. It makes me more excited for the future.

Not much to say about this chapter in whole other than that it was a nice improvement from the last. Also my recollection at how you wrote a good deal of this in high school bowls me away. You were a very well studied and smart kit to have all this tactical and political information with a great deal of the elements of truth floating around in there. I mean, naturally I knew you knew a lot about this stuff back then but really to see the extent of your knowledge in action for myself is really something different. Lord, and I know you've only gotten smarter since then. I have to admit with all the stuff going on in here I feel like I need to be smarter in order to read this and that’s a good feeling to have… well at least for me.

Alright well on to the next chapter.
R3.0 chapter 5 . 12/27/2013
Yet another chapter with not so much character and more set up. I have to say that as interesting as this looks to be setting up I'm really feeling cheated here especially since you are more prone to mentioning character interaction that happened in the past rather than showing it (like Pat and Romeo's previous interactions). Then we only get a brief glimpse of it for ourselves. Your story so far has a great plot and brilliant set up with ideas that I can completely believe to be genuinely real, but I can't bring myself to care as much as I want to when I have so little to connect myself with the characters.

Thankfully, I’m getting the feeling that we’re hitting the ending of the exposition and the story will get on its feet and start moving soon enough.

And my goodness I had no idea that initiation thing was real! I read through it with genuine curiosity that it may in fact be, but the idea that it actually was had me surprised. Good lord, is the salmonella to the point of everyone getting antibiotics before the initiation true?
R3.0 chapter 4 . 12/27/2013
LMAO! They’re called the Archangels! OMG I forgot about you telling me that and got hit with Space Above and Beyond nostalgia almost instantly. Loved it as much as I did when you first told me.

I have to say I have mixed feelings about this chapter. Since I’m and extremely character oriented person and believe the characters themselves make the story and are the most important thing to a story, it was pretty painful reading through all the technical matters of how Tony and the others got through their training, but then again I know that if you just skipped ahead nearly two and half years I would have been even less pleased.

Regardless though it was actually kind of nice seeing all the work it took them to get where they needed to be now, and after reading through all the training they went through it was nice to see Tony so comfortable in his F-18. It made his familiarity with his jet all the more impactful after seeing all he suffered through just to get to that point and really put emphasis on just how much work it takes to become a fighter pilot.

If there were a few things I would fix it would be to drag out the moment Tony had with his jet after first seeing it a bit long. It was relieved to have that scene midway through all the technical stuff so you really could have pushed it a bit further and milk it emotionally since it’s a nice break from the training. After the information overload of understanding all the training they went through your readers would give you a lot of leeway in how long that seen lasted and probably relished in it.

Haha… so on the review in my kindle I wrote how frustrated I was that I didn't know what FNG meant but now that I’m looking at your story online I can see all the Author’s notes and the acronym descriptions here and I managed to see what it means there, so no problems. Unfortunately, since I have the download I can’t see that stuff till I look at each chapter online which is a bummer. Still it’s good to see that you thought to put all those acronyms in each chapter. I pity the fact that I don’t have it on my kindle version. OH and I suggest that if you’re going to publish this into a novel you put the meaning for FNG in this chapter here, since Tony now knows what it means and you put a bit of emphasis on them not knowing when you had Nathan and Tony looking at each other in confusion earlier. Your readers… like me when I read this on my kindle, will be rather frustrated to not know what the term means when it was focused on.
R3.0 chapter 3 . 12/27/2013
Another chapter done! I’m on a roll. I have to say this is my favorite of the three so far, though I am feeling like a bit of an idiot for claiming Scorch to be Toy. You even told me his name too, but in my defense you called him by his callsign and didn't frequently use his given name.

Also I can see why that one guy claimed the religious stuff felt like preaching to him at some point. There is nothing wrong with the Christian elements here on their own, but they don’t mesh with the story well and the 23 Psalm literally comes out of nowhere. Is Tony reciting that in his head or reading it or what? Also I think Tony recited his prayer a bit like a robot, but it’s the first chapter with this character and I have a feeling that once the going gets tough these two aspects are going to change all their own. Next!
R3.0 chapter 2 . 12/27/2013
Another interesting one with a huge time skip this time, which I will admit shocked me at first, but considering how early on the in the story it is I can understand it. It was nice to finally read Krylov for myself for once, but I have to say you had me a bit confused on some parts here.

First of all, Atlas Vision sounds like a concept that I know already exists. Many high-end telescopes (including the one dad bought years ago) have the capability of moving with the object they are viewing automatically keeping in mind of their movement and the rotation of the earth in the process. I have a feeling you may have meant this on a larger scale her considering the situation around the technology, but I couldn’t comprehend the difference.

Also I really feel like you probably rushed the scene with Grover and Vanya along with each other there. It was a very off and tense moment which was perfect, but the sensations could have been much stronger if you took some time with her crazy talk and delved a bit more into the panic in Grover’s mind. I would have found her much scarier then, which is the feeling I’m sure you were going for.

Fortunately it wasn’t much stuff and it didn’t keep me from enjoying the story. I really look forward to reading more. ONWARDS!
R3.0 chapter 1 . 12/27/2013
Hey! Look who started reading! Just a heads up, but I actually started reading this two nights ago but when I got home I took some NyQuil, fell asleep, and woke up with only a few minutes to get ready for work so I didn't get much of a chance to post up the reviews I wrote on my kindle. Today, however, I will do some catching up. Also I do have some edits, but it looks like you and your friend really have got this under control. They're rare to come across if I come across any.

Well that was definitely fun. I’ll admit that when I started this I was worried I wouldn't be able to visualize things well due to my lack of knowledge on all the technical and slang terms, but thankfully that didn't seem to be an issue at all and I could see it all clearly in my mind aside from maybe what exactly the gauges and such were by my memory in watching you and dad play simulators and hearing you talk about all this stuff seemed to help more than I thought it would and I really felt all the tension and saw it all well.

I take it Scorch is the main character you've told me about but under a different call sign. It’s amazing how much personality you got through on your character with really only a minute or so’s time passing in this single chapter.