Reviews for Offering to a Star
Sastrei chapter 76 . 7/1
I will reiterate how wonderfully glad I am that you've started this up again, oh god. I was wondering what was going to happen; the tension between the Heroes and the higher-ups in the military had been building for quite awhile, and this is a parting of ways I can get behind.

Especially since it was totally MIC-DROPPED by Martel. Holy shit. YOU GO GIRL. I loved Yuan's stuttering and the line that "No ma'am" was the only acceptable answer to her question.

I can't wait to see what happens next. I'm almost kind of relieved that the Heroes are going to be on their own now. I feel like they'll have more freedom to do things their way and have less people to answer to. Not as safe, obviously, but a lot more potential. And the summon spirits will come into play more prominently, too! Gah, I can't wait for the next chapter. See you there, my friend! Love!
Sastrei chapter 74 . 6/19
Oh my god, okay. I literally jumped for joy when I saw that this story had an update. I read my notification email like three times because I was like, "No way. NO FREAKING WAYYYYY" and then life stopped gloriously for the 15 minutes it took me to read this, and now here I am.

So, first - I absolutely loved the conversation that Alstan had with Kratos. Particularly the little insight that Alstan had about how Sandor had made Kratos afraid of expressing his love for learning. It's so good to see Kratos finding himself again, though ("healing," as you called it). Although he seems to be sporting a kind of flickering, foreboding darkness lately (Yuan notices first, of course) and I'm both interested and terrified to see how that develops.

Next: I'm always in awe of your ability to breathe life into very realistic wartime situations, and the multiple personalities that go into making action decisions. Each of our Four Heroes are very different, well-developed personalities, and that is shining through more and more as time goes on. This new plan is risky but a good compromise for everyone. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Last: I never really thought about the vastly different ways that humans and elves would retell history, but it makes a lot of cynical, real-world sense. The inner machinations of bigotry, war and racism are as fascinating as they are depressing and you have them mastered and eloquently stated. Your writing always reminds me why I love this fandom so much in the first place. Thanks for posting and I can't wait to see more! Take care and much love!
Sastrei chapter 73 . 5/15
Ooooookay. Okay. Just. Wow. Okay.

So I finished this whole thing in less than 24 hours. I was literally unable to stop reading. I know the canon Four Heroes origin story from watching the anime and things like Tales of Fandom... But in all honesty, I like yours more.

Just. The whole character development with Kratos in particular. Oh my god. I loved him a lot already but you took it to a whole new level for me. Hahaha. I didn't think that was possible. His quiet side, his knack for language and studying. His STUTTER (be still my nerdy heart). And how unwilling a warrior he is. Even 4000 years later, in the game and anime both, you can tell that still holds true. He's never wanted to fight.

Obviously not much is known about Martel from the game (or really the anime either, she gets more mention but is just this vague perfect figure from Mithos' perspective). But for me, she will now forever be hardened, sweet, front lines, haunted, steel-spined Martel who loved and took care of everyone.

I absolutely love the slow, gradual anger that crept into Mithos. I didn't expect so much development on his part already. But it was excellently done. If/when you ever decide to revive this story, the scene where Martel is killed, and he finally breaks will be unbearably tragic. As will Yuan's reaction.

Okay speaking of Yuan(-and-Kratos), the scenes with them as adolescents were so tender and whimsical and perfect. Writing that age has always been a challenge for me (I'm an only child and until my cousin was born when I was 10, literally the only kid in my family). But you made it all incredibly sweet and believable. I was hooked from the first chapter.

Anyway, this has gone on for plenty long. And I know it's been several years since our last update, but I truly hope this story finds its way back to your fingertips someday. I can assure you, I will devour it ravenously and with a smile.
Sastrei chapter 50 . 5/14
I JUST. HNNNNGH This story gives me all the feels. I've been binge reading it all day. I seriously got so anxious and nervous when Kratos got hurt. Like I felt my chest tighten. And then yuan ahhhhh omg. This is all so perfect and incredible. I can't thank you enough for posting it. New favorite story ever.

EVERRRRR!
Sastrei chapter 7 . 5/14
I know this is like a billion years old but I'm just now reading it. And oh my gosh. I am utterly in love. There is absolutely nothing I DON'T like about it all so far. I'm basically committing all of this to memory and forever seeing it as canon. Because it's too perfect not to be. I'm so glad I have like 70-something chapters left ahhhhhhhhhngng. THANK YOU for having such a brilliant mind and writing these two so well! NOW OKAY BYE ONTO THE NEXT CHAPTER teehee
Guest chapter 22 . 4/6/2015
this is genius
Guest chapter 73 . 2/18/2015
Ahh this story never fails to make my day. It's so beautiful, so lovely! This is like my third reread of this. Kudos to you
Lunar Hikari chapter 72 . 10/30/2014
My urge to wrap the boys up in blankets and never let go is getting stronger with every chapter you write. I honestly didn't think that was possible. I love the way you write emotion - Kratos' dull horror and acceptance at killing his father is SPOT ON and I feel so bad for him seriously everyone in this fic needs therapy. Which is proof that you're doing an AMAZING job with it because let's be honest here, the desperate need for therapy is the Seraphim's defining characteristic.

Congrats on your project! Can't wait for the next chapter!
Lunar Hikari chapter 71 . 9/24/2014
Oh geez. I. Oh wow. I have... no words. Just. Bye Sandor - you won't really be missed, you gigantic turd. Also! The return of math kid! I had literally JUST been wondering if math kid (or anyone from the academy really) was ever gonna be relevant again and HERE HE IS.
Zaren broke my heart. Dangit Zaren I LIKED you why'd you hafta go and do that. :(
Can I just hug the whole cast? Is that a thing I can do? Because I feel like 90% of this cast needs to be wrapped up in a blanket and hugged for twenty years.
I am forever in awe of your ability to write and the way you consistently break my heart about the Seraphim (and sometimes put it back together and break it again and...). Seriously you are amazing, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it were possible to favorite this (and you) multiple times I definitely would. I just. So much love! For everything about this! asdjfklsjakdfj
slotat071 chapter 1 . 8/24/2014
Please read and review my story! :) Thank you!

/s/10622520/1/The-Exsphere-Journey
Thunderblade14 chapter 69 . 6/4/2013
Wow, good chapter. Mariya was adorable and Lyrion was his usual jerky self.

The plan of theirs makes me a little nervous, though, if they pull it off, reading about the human king and generals' reactions sounds like it'll be priceless. XD

Thanks for the update. Good luck in college and Spain. Please update again as soon as you can, I look forward to reading more. :)
1412 karasu chapter 69 . 5/28/2013
Two Kharlan fics update at once?! GASP.

So, the truth behind Daddy Dearest will be UNEARTHED! I vote Martel as being the person who brings the humans 'the prisoners.'

Hmm, I was thinking about the end. Martel is killed by 'a human,' correct? It kind of shows how deeply ingrained race is. To put it into the context that I'm coming from:
A white man kills your sister.
A minority kills your sister.
In both cases, you will feel rage and sorrow. However, for the people who experience the first (while being white as well), they don't focus the blame on the race, but the identity of the murderer. However, once race changes, It becomes a fixation, instead of solely on the identity, also on a more generalized catagory.
For another in-game example, Zelos' mother is killed by a half-elf. Therefore, he is edgy and distrusting of half-elves. Had it been a human who killed her, would he have been distrusting of humans? Doubtful.

Urk. I'm going to hide now and pretend I didn't just embarrass myself.
1412 karasu chapter 68 . 5/27/2013
... And so, that's that. I've caught up. Very liberating, but also somewhat sad.
I haven't mentioned this before, but your quotes are all very beautiful and very fitting. I wish I had such a knack for finding these quotes. Though, you've read a lot of famous pieces; while none of the ones you mentioned have been quoted, I can only assume that you've read at least one or two. You seem to like The Great Gatsby, at least. Did you like the film?
Ugh, it seems that as my reviews lengthen my eloquence rises as well. I think I cracked my crazy-self of short reviews. I'm really not all that adept with words, though, just kind of pompous when I write about my personal opinions, haha.
I love your characterization of everybody- I've fallen in love with your Mithos and your Martel, your Yuan and your Kratos. I've become deeply invested in their lives and what will happen, and it truly pains me to know how the story ends.
You're not the perfect writer-your writing is sometimes a little too overwhelmingly abstract, and some might say that you focus a little too much on character interaction, to the detriment of the plot-that is to say, you take for granted the knowledge of the fictional world and how it works, as fanfiction writers are apt to do, so much so as to make the plot almost a background feature. (This isn't necessarily bad, and keep in mind that I am in no way shape or form a professional editor, or even the slightest way more than a somewhat competent writer.) But nevertheless, you've managed to create a wonderful tapestry that I do not regret spending hours studying. Most of the time it is so difficult to find fics that have some semblance of grammatical structure, despite whatever interesting premise they might have. I'm not all that thick-skinned when it comes to writing, so oftentimes I find myself giving up on reading fics due to grammar or stupidity. There was a Kharlan-era fic that I tried to read right before this one, but it only took until chapter 4 for me to give up due to the fact that the author, for some reason, could not grasp the concept of 'tenses.'
... I digress. To sum up these words from my too-loquacious self (yes, this is actually how I think, and sometimes speak. It's really rather embarrassing.), I enjoyed your fic tremendously, and hope that you might update eventually. I can only hope that 68 consecutive reviews have some impact other than annoyance and surprise upon you.
... I'm actually hoping that you'll read at least the majority of my reviews- I know most of them are really just nonsense but they did still take forever. But that was my decision, so whatever.
(Hopefully) talk to you (in a less one-sided way?) again,
Your obnoxious reviewer,
1k
(Would you believe me if I said I almost signed this review with my real name? XD Scary, what years of conditioning can do.)
1412 karasu chapter 67 . 5/27/2013
Ah, sorry, got a little sidetracked.

Not much to say, really. They've got quite a few pacts ahead of them! And wow, I know it's just Gnome, but this really speaks to how powerful Mithos is. I wonder how long it will take Kratos and Yuan to get back into shape. Also, that military man is a dick. He should go die soon.
1412 karasu chapter 66 . 5/27/2013
Ahhh! And so the plot thickens.

Okay, I've been wanting to ask this since you made that comment about someone riding on Noishe at least 20 chapters ago, but how big is that goddamn protozoan? I DONT UNDERSTAND.