Reviews for Birthday Wish
PastOneonta chapter 1 . 2/9
Dear God this was heartbreak. Paul is such a great character and you gave us a chance to know him. He's a new wolf running patrols, not completely certain how he feels about the wolf. He encounters a child who has been turned and she doesn't know it. It's tragic all the way around, her father, the child, Paul's experience as the last good thing she encounters before she is ended surprisingly by other vamps. Fantastic, thank you. I wonder if I can find the rest of the contest.
BrookeBelikov chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
This was so cute!
Mistress Fang chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
You have me in tears. I seriously didn't expect this story to be what it is when I first read the summary. I feel bad for the girl, it wasn't her fault, damn the volturi, they get in the way of everything awesome *plots to kill the volturi*

You did a really good job on this, I love it.
Slytherella chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Poor Paul. Poor Carissa. :(

That was so heartbreaking. "Can you come get me now? I'm a little scared." OMG. I bawled my eyes out. I want to run upstairs and snuggle my kids.
FellowsheepOfThePeen chapter 1 . 5/15/2011
Your story has been recommended on our website, , by JaspersDestiny:

This story was recommended to me by one of my favourite authors, Insideitall, who sent me a PM about it. She wrote:

Hey,

Found a few hours to get some reading in. You should check this out, amazing writing and it will pull your heart strings.

Written for the “Passionate About Paul” one-shot contest.

MeraNaamJoker: Birthday Wish

A.

And I can’t thank Insideitall enough! This story is just…fantastic. It’s a one shot written as a collaboration between WolfGirlAtHeart and MeraNaamJoker for, yes, The Passionate About Paul Contest, where it won the Judge’s Pick from PavartiDevi. And understandably so. You see, I don’t often read Wolf fics, but I think I’m the only Bitch here who will – and willingly – with a smile on her face. And this story? BIG smile on mah face when I read it! I emailed my fellow Bitches when I was reading it to recommend it to them, but I pulled the Gollum thing on them. Because it’s miiiiiiine, all miiiiiiiiiiiine for today’s segment!

The summary is correct in terms of the #heartfail warning. Oh my God, is it ever! Joker’s Wolf Girl has written a story that makes you empathize with Paul, understanding him better because they flesh him out and give him a reason for being, as they describe him, “a lupine pain in the ass”. Paul’s a product of his home life, and as such, he’s hit full frontal when he comes upon an immortal child while alone and on patrol in Forks.

Cinderella, dressed in yellow

Went upstairs to kiss her fellow

Made a mistake; kissed a snake

How many doctors did it take?

One, two, three . . .

And I have to say, Carissa is a new favourite character – a mix between what I imagine Alice would be like as a child and Claudia from Interview with a Vampire.

But this is not a happily-ever-after story. Nope. Not at all. But the authors have you hoping against hope that there will be one. And that right there, my doves, is the reason why they’re excellent writers and won Judge’s Pick! Don’t believe me? Read it for yourself – I guarantee this one shot will worm its way right into your blackened Edward/Jasper/Emmett/Carlisle-loving hearts:

“It’s my birthday and you’re the best present ever!” she declared, patting his stomach with one frigid hand. “I’m going to call you Max. Max is a good name for a dog. My name’s Carissa. I used to be this many,” holding up four dimpled fingers, “but today I’m this many!” She extended her thumb to make it five. Five years old.

Paul hadn’t really given his heart much thought, one way or another, during the course of his sixteen years. His stomach, and later his dick, had seemed to warrant primary consideration. Maybe that had been a mistake. Anything that could crack and bleed in so painful a fashion as his heart was now was probably more important than he’d believed. He lowered his head slowly, every muscle aching with grief and fear. He didn’t know whether he was going to kill her until the little girl kissed his muzzle. It felt like winter had brushed his nose. That was when he knew: he wasn’t going to be able to do it. If Sam came, Paul wouldn’t be able to even help Sam do it.

Unable to stop himself, he licked her neck, half-expecting his tongue to stick to her skin like it would to a flagpole in freezing temperatures. She giggled again. “Silly puppy. I love you, Max.”

This was so fucking stupid. He knew it was stupid. The minute Sam woke up and phased again, he would see exactly what Paul was doing and would put an end to it, and the vampire, immediately.

He got down on his belly, raising his haunches in the air, and wagged his tail at her. She laughed again and picked up her discarded branch, breaking it in half effortlessly. The ease of the motion gave him another pang of disquiet – seriously, what the fuck did he think he was doing? – but she said, “Fetch!” and tossed the stick into the night. Paul careened after it without a second thought.
mudpuddledemon chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
Wow. That- was disturbing. But amazing? I'm kind of in love with Paul here, and sad for him, duh. So yeah. Thumbs up for you.
shelbron chapter 1 . 3/9/2011
That was so beautiful and bittersweet. Wonderful writing :)
IamKate chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
Poor Paul. And poor Carissa. It's interesting to read how vampires act when they're frozen at such a young age. Still really sad for her.

Nice work. Good luck in the contest!
Kats Flower Girls chapter 1 . 2/24/2011
OMG! Sooooooo heart wrenching! So Sam had tried to save Carissa and her father but hadn't realized that Carissa wasn't completely drained and had changed instead, or did he, and also didn't have the heart to kill her, maybe he had played with her as Paul had & let her live too? Or maybe she just remembered the big black dog chasing away the bad guy who her father didn't like and so she was already fond of puppies... I almost cried when Carissa was not understanding why cupcakes taste bad to her now :'(

When the Volturi showed up, I knew what was gonna happen but still somehow hoped Paul could save her... At least Alec had the decency to use his gift on her as Felix tore her to pieces, but it was so sad when she said she was a little scared now before they burned her :'( Poor Carrissa, she didn't understand what she was doing!
purelyamuse chapter 1 . 2/2/2011
I had no idea where that was going. You certainly surprised me. That was very unique and quite disturbing. I think I'll go snuggle with my five year old now.
LynnLautner chapter 1 . 1/28/2011
oh

My

GOD!

I cried, like yeah.. I felt so bad for that little girl from the get go and then her telling Paul about her birthday..damn.

You did...amazing.
Mikita chapter 1 . 1/27/2011
Wow. I'm still shocked. Such a different story... Incredibly interesting to read (so curious about Paul's reactions) but also pretty disturbing. Thanks for sharing, your story certainly was refreshingly original.
evermine chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
Oh wow!

How sad, and that he had to witness that - heartwrenching. Looking forward to hearing more from you gals.

Kudos and high fives to you both.
Livia09 chapter 1 . 1/25/2011
Awesome story! This was something different. Poor Paul to fall under the spell of n immortal child. But I think no one could resist. I'd like to read more of you!
GoodbyeLove-HelloDisease chapter 1 . 1/24/2011