Reviews for Rain Down on Me
Yuri-hime chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Sorry I missed this before. I do like the idea of Mikoto and Nao together 3

I especially liked this line~

(Tokiha'd be a lot easier competition than Fujino. Nao was a redhead. Nao could learn to cook. Nao could get breast augmentation… Nao could remember that this was a terrible idea and that she'd agreed not to think about it.)
ScOut4It chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
I enjoy the way you describe Mikoto's transformation (yet sameness) and the comparison between her and Natsuki.

An unexpected and nice way to move into a different pairing.
ethicsforsale chapter 1 . 2/5/2011
Once again, you've brightened my morning just a little with your refreshingly graceful approach to storytelling. It's hard to write about unrequited love without falling into the trap of being too heavy-handed or depressing, but you've managed it superbly. I especially adore your voice for Nao, with all its cleverly sardonic Nao-like humor.

Hoping to see more from you, as always.
oncoming-traffic chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
Deep, very deep. *pushes a pair of fake glasses up her nose*

You seem to like writing about rain, don't you? You do it quite well, too! The weather reflecting on the character's mood is a technique often used, but not anybody can do it good, because at some point it feels hackneyed and old. Using the rain as a metaphor gives many opportunities to include other themes, like you did. Like the umbrella - in this case the symbol of the helping hand and protection from the cruelties of life.

Also, the parallels you made between the characters made me think. (Bad person, making me think .) Until now I hadn't seen that much of similarities between Nao and Shizuru, but I have to agree with DezoPenguin's opinion on this matter. However, here, having a glimpse at Nao's thoughts, it's easy to see why she considers herself more like Shizuru, instead of relating more to Natsuki.

Mikoto's appearance and her role in the situation was endearing. It also proved that hardship and rejection only make people mature and stronger. She was a tad bit more calm and grown-up in this one-shot, which made me smile. Breaking stereotypes is fun.

Need I say that I'm awaiting a second part with a Mikoto PoV? :3
Ultima-Matrixed chapter 1 . 2/2/2011
It would seem that you do remember how to write. :P Nao's musings remind me of my own, slightly trollish but no intent to release them on anyone, at that point in time. :D

And so you have earned your review milady. Many more stories may you write. *bows*
MissIzzyB chapter 1 . 1/25/2011
Lovely!
Dragontiger96 chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
I really liked how you characterized Nao in this fic, and found your description of Mikoto interesting. It feels like there could be a sequel detailing how a romance develops.

All in all, loved it,

Dragontiger96
GhoulLicker chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
A nice introspective story! I like that you've focused away from Shizuru and Natsuki and pointed the viewfinder at another couple/s.

An observation if you'd allow me; sometimes I get the feeling that you're trying too hard to display your grasp on the english language (as you clearly have a far reaching word bank). I think that sometimes the emotion of what you're trying to get across is lost in flowery language, or being overly descriptive.

Otherwise, great job and keep up the good work.
KumoOokami chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
I meant to review this yesterday (Earlier today? eh... my sleep schedule is all messed up.) but this reviewing business takes more brain power than I had left at the time. .;

It was nice seeing these two grown up a bit more than they were in the anime, especially Mikoto.

Out of all of them, at the end of the anime Nao and Mikoto seem to have the most uncertain futures. Both of them seemed to hinge more of their identities on being HiME than any of the other characters except maybe Natsuki, who used her powers more as the easiest means to an end. I could see how Nao in particular would feel a bit directionless and even helpless without that in her life anymore.

This was a nice read. You did a great job (as usual) at really getting Nao's character right, plenty of amusing thoughts going through her head right next to her more serious worries about her past and potential future. Nice ending on a hopeful note too. .

I would really be intrigued to read a Mikoto pov sequel/companion fic for this, since Mikoto is definitely an under-appreciated character in the fandom. (Or perhaps not under-appreciated, but simply difficult for people to figure out how to write. .; )

Hope to see more writing from you in the future!
E.M.PRAETORIAN chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
Mad my dear you made my frustration depart as I slowly read on. I went from nodding at the train of thought Nao had of Natsuki and Shizuru, to laughing my ass off as she thought of Mikoto and Mai. I love pairing these two, not just as friendly but as sexual partners...as two young women who learn by making love with each other even if only for brief moments. This took me back to my previous year's X-mas piece and then back here hoping you do a sequel with Mikoto's POV and even if you don't...I abso-flippin'-lutely love this. They feel so right together sometimes.

elder master
Crosswood chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
It's always a pleasure and a privilege to see these first – and to get to review them as well, although this time it seems I am not the first to do so (grrr… _).

‘Rain Down on Me’ was just lovely to read. You don’t seem to stick to one genre or pairing – you tend to dance around, trying new things and seeing what works. Nao and Mikoto, in particular, most would assume wouldn’t work – but somehow you’ve made them not only work together, but work in such as way as to feel natural and sweet. Very impressive stuff.

‘Rain’ is also very nice to read from a flow and tempi standpoint – it speeds up when thinking about dangerous topics, slows down when thinking about grumpy topics, goes mellow at the end there… it’s just a charming thing. The sly humour was greatly appreciated as well.

Lastly… as for the ‘major grammatical changes’… lol, sometimes you’re full of [censored], you know that? XD, it was perfect, and both you and I know it.

My sincere regards
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
Hmmm, surprising. I'd never have imagined that pairing, despite having wondered why no one ever pairs Nao with people her own age (well, it's a self-answering question...Mikoto's either after Mai or too immature to be truly into romance-love, and the other available option is Shiho).

It's ironic, perhaps, but the most interesting and creative thing about the fic is the entire concept of Mikoto changing and maturing over time, which immediately makes me want to see your prospective sequel. I'm not being facetious, here-even in Otome, where most HiME characters have been "pushed forward" into who'd they be, personality-wise, post-HiME, Mikoto is an eternally-young entity who's frozen in time in terms of who she is. So this is in fact going somewhere new and different, a Mikoto who can grow and change...

(I don't agree at all that Nao is more like Shizuru than she is like Natsuki, but I can see why she'd *think* that, which is something different.)