Reviews for Their Winged Angel
90TheGeneral09 chapter 3 . 9/16/2016
This was a good chapter. Allen and Garnett continue to feature, but Obrieski, Zanovich, McCreary and Jackson appear again. The way you depict Jackson is again interesting here. You add to the previous chapter by noting that Jackson is, as most fair leaders are, only an unpleasant guy if you make him act like one, namely by doing stuff you know you shouldn't do. That definitely suggests he's more the hard-but-fair type, and you do have the right idea in showing the enlisted troopers being led through training by their officers- who are also in the process of earning their jump wings. My only big complaint here is- where is Staff Sergeant Hassey? Where is Mac? And Matt Baker has not made much of a showing at all in Chapters 1-3. Not one, but not much. I wonder what background, if any, you envisioned for Jackson. I chose to depict him as a Virginia boy, coming from a hard-working family that has lived in Virginia a long time. Jackson, in my depiction, is a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, Class of 1943, coming from a long line of graduates of that college. Jackson, the way I chose to write his nonexistent background, is a very traditional soldier who would NOT have wanted a female trainee in his platoon. Jackson seems pretty accepting of it, which would have been a lot to ask at the time. So... is this OC of yours from New York state? Seems like it. You wouldn't happen to be referring to the motto of the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment, which BIA's Fox Company is a part of, would you? The 502nd motto was "Strike". Good on you if you knew that and referenced it in the chapter title. I still think the basic premise of this story is implausible, but you at least seem to have some decent knowledge of the characters and writing ability, which is more than a lot have on this site. I see the story isn't marked as finished, and it seems like this is meant to show your OC as she goes with Fox through to VE Day in 1945. Oh, and by the way, congrats on not having a total Mary Sue going on here. I hope this story is continued. If not, hey, you did well enough on these three chapters.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 2 . 9/16/2016
Huh. Well, I feel kinda foolish after saying some of that stuff. You can have a story start in the present setting, then jump back to a relevant point in the past. You DO work to describe the background of this female trooper, and explain how that even came to be a thing. Still, not a lot is really said about it. The way you describe it is both detailed and vague, but the thing is, the U.S. Army of 1944, as well as American society, was NOT welcoming to the idea of women in the plain old ever-lovin' infantry, let alone in the parachute infantry. I do repeat the point that this would not have happened. You did do pretty well at this chapter however. I can tell you're a good deal more literate than the average bum or bumette with a keyboard I see on here. Good grief is there some unreadable stuff. This is okay. Good depictions of Allen and Garnett and the inseparable nature of those two. Also interesting is your depiction of Jackson. He isn't meant to be anything like Herbert Sobel, is he? The Black Swan of Easy Company? Jackson never even appears in any of the BIA games; all that is said is Staff Sergeant "Mac" Hassey mentioning that Jackson's C-47 was shot down on June 6 and the lieutenant was killed, leaving Mac in command of 3rd Platoon, Fox Company. There's little time for anybody to get reflective about it, so we have no idea what the men in 3rd Platoon thought of Jackson. On to the next chapter.
90TheGeneral09 chapter 1 . 9/16/2016
I would've started a story like this prior to June 9th. Explaining HOW a female soldier got into the *infantry*, let alone into the paratroopers, would have been a good idea. In 1944, the U.S. Armed forces were 72 years away from admitting women to combat arms (artillery, armor, infantry, cavalry, etc.). They were not even letting black men serve in the paratroopers or in the same units as white men- why on earth would they have allowed a woman? She would have had to, draftee or volunteer, get through basic combat training and infantry school, then through airborne school, as the one and only female trainee at each stop. Then the Army would have needed to approve her posting with the 101st, and I doubt they would have. So we have a strong issue with plausibility undermining the story. If it's simply not believable, if it's not something that was even possible at the time, then that takes a lot away. You could say, it's an AU, or in this 1944 the Army and American society is vastly ahead of its time. But you didn't say that, leaving me to assume this is just 1944 like usual, in which a female paratrooper existed nowhere in the Western world. Now, with that all said, I can't comment but so much on the short chapter itself, but I can try. It was okay. Spelling, punctuation, etc. is decent enough. I liked the use of the date and location, which can be useful for readers. This was an okay chapter, start of what looks to be the first story ever posted for Brothers in Arms. Published five years ago, bloody hell. Okay, on to Chapter 2.
BlazingAngel44 chapter 3 . 12/8/2014
Keep on going! I really wanted to see what happen next.
Razgriz13 chapter 3 . 2/19/2011
hey buddy like this chapter, Ellie likes Garnett, I like to see where this goes and I'm already kinda depress cuz I know what happens to Garnett also just upload mine its not much cuz been busy. Keep'em coming
hodhod2011danger chapter 3 . 2/9/2011
I loove this!
Razgriz13 chapter 2 . 1/24/2011
Yes I am probably gonna start it tomorrow and finish by this weekend. Also I'm glad the admins here our calls for this page cuz I always wanted to right fics for BiA.
Razgriz13 chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
Hey great fic glad to see there was a BiA fic keep going. Also congrats of being first and I was the one who requested the BiA section so I'm excited to see all these fics. Well have a great day then.