Reviews for Yepa
A Road Unturning chapter 4 . 8/30/2012
I'll be honest. When it comes to Julia Chang, she's always been somebody I've liked but never actually looked at, if that makes any sense. She's intelligent, strong and good natured. Brilliant. Lovely. We move on.

But here you've infused her with such a raw, white hot passion. It's concealed in her dual personality, in Yepa, in your reimagining of this character. And the unpredictable power and the danger and the pain it conjures, is so affecting. Each word is stung with the ice of her voice. The whip of the stark white wilderness in her blood. You get a sense of her crippling intelligence, of her otherness, of her passions. The way you've seamlessly woven her culture and background into her character is just flawless.

And Hwo/Julia isn't usually a ship I go for, but it's written here with a gritty yet heartfelt truth. Your characterisation of Hwoarang is believable and insightful. His interactions with Julia flow with naturalistic ease and are a joy to behold.

The writing style, aka Julia's voice, is just beyond anything. There is a poetic edge to the prose, but it is seated in earth and sweat. A kind of tortured, dusty poetry.

Amazing stuff.
Couture.Kisses chapter 4 . 7/4/2012
Words cannot describe how incredible I think this story is. It's been a while since I've read a good fanfic on here (especially in the tellin department). It's definitely like a breath of fresh airs but that's expected because you're a brilliant writer.

Anyways I love how epically raw this story is even if Julia does seems bit ooc it completely fits her. A very daring and original concept that truly taps into ones psychological angst. You left at such a cliffhanger! I'm definitely craving more. Till then, can't wait.
SeungSeiRan chapter 4 . 7/3/2012
Last 'Guest' review was mine. Stupid FF decided to sign me out at the last minute. Oh well, keep up the awesomeness as always :)
Guest chapter 4 . 7/3/2012
I've been enjoying a pretty awesome week anyway and this just made it, I don't know, 50x better :3

I'm very impressed with how you've structured this chapter. It's choppy, but at the same time, fluid and cohesive. I like how it ties in with the theme of how Julia's past is never completely banished from the present even as she seeks to escape it. It's like this shadow at her heels, small and shrunken during her time spent with Hwoarang in the daytime, but lengthening to engulf her thoughts at night 'at 3 a.m., the hour when all dark things walked freely'.

Favorite scene was definitely the one beginning from 'The last time you came to see me it was late May,...'. I loved the artistic rendering of it as always, the last line of the passage especially. Also, 'You smiled and said it was like someone had torn out the sky and shoved us into space.' Funnily enough, I was thinking of the contrasting sparseness and sheer volume of space before getting to that line.

'He told Michelle the reason why I rarely smiled was because I was born in the year of the horse, which was bad luck if you were born female. Horses were too wild, too stubborn, too hungry for freedom. They would wander and dream and would have unrealized ambitions and would never come home if unbridled.' - Jules, your Dad is a horrible person and the amount of truth in that line makes me hate him more XD

Eegads, all the heartbreaking that's going on here. Though I can't blame either Julia or Steve for their hook-ups, I can also feel the pain that both are going through. This isn't a story about break-ups; the loss cuts much deeper.

Looking forward to more as always :)
Razer Athane chapter 4 . 6/28/2012
Neeew upda - whoa, the review box has changed. That's crap, now I have to constantly scroll up and down adhfjlkafkghfd

HYBRID THEORY.

“I laughed at this foolishness, but when I saw the hurt in his eyes I told him I loved him back, as if by saying it I could wish it true.” - Awesomely human. Love it.

"Because I find you terribly interesting, and I want to gradually win your heart, fuck you blind and then leave you for dead." – Smooth, sweetheart x.x

“It was of genuine intrigue, and I knew rare were the moments when a man like Hwoarang would lean in to listen rather than roar.” - LOVE this. My God stop being so amazing ahjkdsflfghfds

“I'm sorry I couldn't save you when they hurt you. / I'm sorry the only thing you know about snow is that it falls white from the sky.” - This is so poetically sad. Beautiful but sad.

“Under my skin I felt the snow becoming ice.” - Lovely!

“I was a ghost lingering in lost time.” - Once again, lovely!

“He was right, of course. I ran plenty. I felt the wind. I dreamed of road. And it was lovely.” - This felt really Julia to me, like perfectly so.

OMG THE END. GDI SAGE.

You know, every time I read something of yours, I feel like I'm I poor author. Like I would look over something I've done and be all "aw yeahhh I'm pretty damn proud of this", then I'd go back and read one of your stories (seeing as you're such an inspiration to me) and my work will then look like putty. You make me try harder.

Keep it up!
PeasAndCheese chapter 3 . 12/26/2011
OMG. How could I have missed this. I am berating myself right now. Arggh.

I am beyond speechless and everytime I'd read your works I'd be just sucked in this world you create, to the mind of this character that a lot of fans would seem to overlook or disregard as "boring".

Damn.

I love love love this concept and it's strange because I've thought about this idea about Julia having an inner being that's a complete opposite of how she present herself. Gah, I don't seem to be making sense so I'll just stop there.

OMG. Just. OMG. I'm sorry if I can't be eloquent enough in expressing my marvel and gratitude for this. Fine I'll stop now.
Aurelia Faiza chapter 3 . 5/29/2011
this really is just stunning. please please please continue!
Aurelia Faiza chapter 2 . 5/29/2011
this is fantastic, and i'm not sure how to say why it is

just please, carry on with what you're doing; it's perfect

thank you for writing! x
Dynasty-Zero chapter 3 . 3/31/2011
When did Julia and Nina switch bodies? Lol. Julia is crazy in this story girl.

It's great though. I like that Julia has a darkside it seems like her to have one whenever she is danger and loses her mind and hell unleashes.

Just don't make her have blood all over her body and tasting and saying "I love the taste of human flesh" lmao.

I'm reading fics again by the way. So we'll see though... peace
Razer Athane chapter 3 . 3/23/2011
Read this on the bus home. And I loved it to bits. I love how Yepa seems to be the darker side of Julia (and that it was given a name), great work :3
SeungSeiRan chapter 3 . 3/22/2011
HUZZAH!

'It was lava red and measured half the length of my hand. This was a predator worst known for the hooked stinger at the end of its partial question mark tail, and now it clung to my bed sheets with armored pincers.' - One I'm all too familiar with

Ascendant in Scorpio, eh? I like that. And loving these Hwoarang descriptions - 'born with a flame in his chest, which seemed only to burn brighter with every hardship he encountered. Like me, he was a survivor, but he didn't need two faces to know how to live; he was as crude and genuine as anyone could get.' - I don't know why but this is so purdy and cowboyish to me. Or maybe just an after-effect of just having read 'True Grit', hehe.

Speaking of Western-like stuff, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of this chapter; very film-noir in the bleak, bitter, black-and-white view that Julia seems to share with some of the genre's protagonist. I love the contrast with the violence of the fight-scene and then the odd sort of gentility that comes around with the scene where Hwo washes the blood off her. The whole paragraph beginning from 'Beyond the windows' was mindblowing.

The last scene with Steve just about broke my heart. It's so well-written and shifts the balance to the Steve/Julia part of the relationship triangle that you have going on here.

Great job, Sage. Made my morning :)
NativeBeauty chapter 3 . 3/22/2011
I love this story! You're writing is just awesome, respect! Can't wait for more, gonna go check out the rest of your stuff?
wine and roses chapter 2 . 2/11/2011
this is goood... love the banter between them, it made me smile.
Razer Athane chapter 2 . 2/9/2011
YAY! AN UPDATE 8D

'Breaking something else to lessen my own breaking.' - D: Gorgeous.

'It turned out his "friend" was a bronzed bombshell that made me look like a nun;' - XDXDXD I love it, Sage.

'Come with us. Come with us and learn the secrets of deep sea, the most sublime form of your snow soul.' - Beautiful.

"So where is the G-spot?" - OMG LMAO XDXDXDXDXD LOVE.

"You're not a bad person, Julia. That's what I believe." - From here until the end. WIN! Great update, dear.
SeungSeiRan chapter 2 . 2/8/2011
OMG! *rolls around with opening quote* I remember this one :3. And now that I dwell further, it completely sets the pace for this chapter.

'touch-you-as-little-as-possible urgency', 'needle-eyed', 'sea-quiet of the cerulean walls', 'bright as sun and nine-months-belly round' - really, I don't know how you come up with descriptions like these. They are so perfectly poignant and lovely to think of.

Hehe, wasn't expecting that dabble of Hwoa/Christie in the picture. But that mention of 'legwork' made me giggle XD.

'I forced Sherman Alexie, Tom Chiarella, and Cormac McCarthy on him' - Holy hell, she made him read. She's (and you're) Jesus.

I like how Yepa is beginning to emerge but is still veiled by an aura of mystery. Julia hasn't figured out if 'she' stands as merely a protector or as someone steeped in darkness. In a way, I can relate to that aspect of not knowing what to make of your inner self. Or to be willing to make sense at all, in fact.

And even though he remains absent physically in this chapter, I like Steve's pseudo-presence of sorts :)

I am so damn happy you decided to continue this :3