Reviews for Deep Water
Goldleaf83 chapter 42 . 1/8/2012
A fine conclusion to an exceptional story in these last four chapters! You keep the tension ratcheted up, both through the worry that Zauner and Irma may not be up to playing their parts sufficiently and the monkey wrench thrown in when Jäger unexpectedly shows back up. Funny irony there too, that the problem comes from Newkirk and company having done their job a bit too well. In fact, there are so very many wonderful bits of business that keep the tone light to balance the darkness of the main plot: Schultz needing Carter’s help (just as Carter expected he would), LeBeau’s sniff that it’s practically an insult to the prisoners that the camp guards are so poor, Newkirk being insulted at being called an American (magnificently ignoring the swine part of the remark), the staff car snafu leaving Klink with the possibility of having no car at all, and Hogan’s constant gadfly remarks to the Germans and Klink’s ineffectual responses. I particularly loved the moment when Hogan turns to Jäger and says, Kind of warms your heart, doesn't it?" then rethinks and adds, "No, I guess it doesn't." Such a hoot!

Irma is a wonderful character here at the end: her resistance to dressing as a boy and her genuine emotional upset over losing her feminine identity (particularly her hair) ring absolutely true. Yet in trousers and with short hair, the chances were very good that she’d be seen as a boy: in our time when girls and boys dress essentially alike (except perhaps in color) we forget that for eons a trousered silhouette meant male and a skirt and long hair meant female. So anyone glancing at her in trousers would see her just as a boy. The game of one-upsmanship that she plays with Kinch is a great touch, putting her into boy character when the Germans see her for the first time (and you work in nice historical details about WWI and Edison very naturally there!). You evoke her natural terror at seeing Jäger, but her recovery is plausible (with Hogan helping her out) and the apology scene is just perfect, both her phrasing of the apology and the doting faux field-marshal grandfather’s approval of it, ignoring its brattiness.

Schultz’s role as unwitting alibi for von Kremmer/Zauner and Rudi/Irma is also beautifully played, particularly the line about how he can’t remember any incident of heroism but “Finding nothing, he did exactly what could be expected of a man of his integrity”!

The final chapter does a terrific job bringing up all the little dangling threads and weaving them into a finished tapestry: why there’s no hue and cry after the Zauners or Dietrich or Gisela, how Irma is fitting into her new life, the problem Dietrich and Gisela face in his need for a divorce (I’d wondered about that!), the repairs to the barracks, and the drainage ditch to save the emergency tunnel. You end with a nice tantalizing reminder that there are serious implications to some of the events of this story, if/when you have time and inspiration to write the story that deals with them. I’ll look forward to that, whenever you do it!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 42 . 12/15/2011
And so ends a long journey and a long night. You've done a wonderful job tying up the loose ends and bringing everyone a reasonably happy ending. Like konarciq says, it's also a reminder that Hogan can only do so much.

Congratulations on finishing this epic and I look forward to reading more from you.
Six of Twelve chapter 42 . 12/14/2011
Good to see everything get back to normal and that the escapes were successful. A satisfying end to a good story.

I have a feeling that Hogan will be able to make Hochstetter pay before the war is over, however.

I hate to see this story end, but I look forward to your next story.
sarajm chapter 42 . 12/14/2011
I've really enjoyed this story and am sorry to see it come to an end. I love your writing - plot ideas and characterizations so I hope you've got some new work for us really soon! I'd personally love to see something more about Carter and his perfect pitch; i love it when he shows some talents, as so many stories play him as an idiot.
konarciq chapter 42 . 12/14/2011
Beautiful ending in that realization that they can't do everything. Worthy reminder, when the show seemed to tell us they could do practically everything, no matter how crazy.

All in all a great, lovely story, with an awful lot of twists and turns, that never gets boring or slow. And with marvellous attention to detail as well as well developed original characters. Worthy of the series, yet true to the problems of Nazi Germany.

Once again, my hat's off to you, Dust!
konarciq chapter 39 . 12/14/2011
Two great lines here.

"Don't look so scared. I'll be right behind you."

"I would rather you were right in front of me,"

and

It was almost insulting. We deserve better guards, thought LeBeau.

LOl

Getting into the spirit of the story again. And loving it as much as I did before!
buggleston chapter 42 . 12/14/2011
Well Done ~Glade to see that everyone made it safely to London.

I to would like to see that "unfinished business" taken careful of maybe sometime time in the future.

This was a really good story to read!
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 42 . 12/14/2011
It's lovely to see that Irma and her grandpa are safe, and Dietrich and Gisela are now working for the Allies in London. Back to business as usual for the Heroes!

I agree with ColHogan, it would be terrific to see a sequel that deals with Jager. I'd love to see Hochstetter take care of him for good! Of course, that's a story for another day...but the last line of this story leads me to believe that someday the Heroes will be able to take care of their 'unfinished business'.
ColHogan chapter 42 . 12/14/2011
Sorry to see this story end as it was quite a wild ride. Also glad to see Newkirk and Carter are doing well after exposure to the water, and especially glad that Irma and her grandfather made it safely to London and that Irma seems to have regained her childhood and enjoying herself seeing the sites of the city. I hope by the way this chapter ended that there might be a sequel somewhere in the future where Hogan and company get to deal with Jager and his stolen treasure? Just asking as I'd love to see a sequel to this story where Hogan and company get back at Jager.
buggleston chapter 41 . 12/12/2011
Well done~everyone literly holding their breath in hopes Jager doesn't reconize Irma because they have come so far~Hogan had to think quickly to get Zauner going again~Schultz's role was very helpful (It's classic HH for me)!

I loved Irma standing up to Klink and Jager. Now that they are finally on their way ~Lets hope for a save journey and that Jager will continue going the wrong way.

But will that be the last Hogan will see of Jager? Let's hope. Excellent chapter and now I cann't wait to see what happens next!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 41 . 12/12/2011
I think I've liked this chapter best of all the ones in this story. You did a wonderful job with Irma, particularly her apology for outranking Jager. Hogan, as usual, is brilliantly written in his 'Gosh shucks' mode (I know I say it almost every time I review, but it's true.) Schultz is equally wonderful, so canon I can picture him as if I were actually watching him.

So the story winds down. I look forward to seeing how you'll tie up the remaining loose ends.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 41 . 12/12/2011
A wild ride indeed! Hogan pulls another one out of the fire, and with an inspired strategy: after all, Schultz was truly responsible for saving the life of another officer in WWI; it seems logical that the highly suggestible sergeant would readily believe he had saved another. And his enthusiastic embracing of Zauner and his 'grandson' was the perfect way to 'back up credentials' for them.

And Irma's half-hearted apology: "I'm sorry for outranking you"! I just about fell on the floor laughing.

So glad to see Zauner, Irma, Dietrich and Gisela safely on their way. Now I'm wondering what's next for the evil Jager...
Abracadebra chapter 40 . 12/11/2011
Chapter 41 was up... And then gone. And your story summary didn't say a thing about "supernatural" so what is up with that?
Six of Twelve chapter 41 . 12/11/2011
Whew, what a close shave! It's a good thing that Hogan thinks fast on his feet.

And I imagine Klink could borrow Jager's staff car until ager brings his back. All he'd need to do is send his men out there to fix it.
ColHogan chapter 41 . 12/11/2011
Looks like Hogan's plan worked. Loved Irma's little speech to Klink and Jager. Hopefully they will make it to their rendezvous safely. Now, Hogan has to deal with Jager which should be fun.
292 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »