Reviews for Deep Water
ColHogan chapter 41 . 12/11/2011
Looks like Hogan's plan worked. Loved Irma's little speech to Klink and Jager. Hopefully they will make it to their rendezvous safely. Now, Hogan has to deal with Jager which should be fun.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 40 . 12/8/2011
And yet another cliffhanger, raising the suspense even more. I'll be very interested to see how Irma manages, and Jager puts two and two together.

Once again, that lovely dry wit of yours came out to play, with nice results, especially with Hogan's banter. These scenes are quite well written, I felt I was actually a fly on the wall.

Another nice job.
ColHogan chapter 40 . 12/4/2011
Zauner was brilliant in his role of the Field Marshall, especially when Hogan started with his wise cracks. I especially loved Zauner ordering Klink to have his men make the repairs to the barracks and Klink's reaction. I'm sure Hogan will be reminding Klink about it. I also loved Hogan's comments about . But what is Jager doing back so soon? This can't be good. And poor Irma is terrified and I can't blame her having to face her worst nightmare again. Here's hoping Hogan can come up with something to avoid a total disaster when they are so close to pulling things off.
sarajm chapter 40 . 12/4/2011
Oh dear, what a cliffhanger! I love Zauner as the fieldmarshall.
Six of Twelve chapter 40 . 12/4/2011
Oooh, a close call. I hope they can bluff their way out of this one.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 40 . 12/4/2011
Oh, my. I love it when one of Hogan's plans comes together, and certainly Zauner, Irma, Dietrich, and Gisela are all doing a marvelous job in their roles. I escpecially liked Zauner's haughty responses to Hogan's outrageous statements.

But what a cliffhanger! What will happen now that the evil Jager has returned to camp? My heart breaks for poor Irma, who must face her worst nightmare once again.
buggleston chapter 40 . 12/4/2011
Zauner pulled off the Field Marshalls role but when there was the light at the end of the tunnel for all to leave~Jager rears his ugly head again by returning! Another well done chapter cannot wait for the next one,
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 39 . 11/22/2011
Nice opening with Carter and Schultz's banter. And Hochstetter's line was perfect. I can see him saying that easily.

And so the characters start dancing. I can't wait to see how the plot comes together.
buggleston chapter 39 . 11/22/2011
Enjoyed the opening with of course Carter being in fine form!(Classic HH).

Now that Hogan's plan is placed let's hope that Jager is as easy to fool as chapter.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 39 . 11/21/2011
I just love your use of Walters, Brodkin and Addison in the scheme to make it appear Zauner and Irma had arrived with Dietrich and Gisela. And your OC Joliffe is a nice touch, too.

I always enjoy Carter in one of his German incarnations, and it seemed as though he enjoyed his little encounter with Hochstetter! Schultz, though, didn't seem to appreciate it much...poor guy.

Zauner already has taken on his role with aplomb, and I'm looking forward to what Irma's part. And I'm *really* looking forward to the evil Jager getting his comeuppance!
ColHogan chapter 39 . 11/21/2011
Hogan's plan seems to be working so far. But one can understand his anxiety at the meeting between Jager and a disguised Zauner and Irma. Hope the rest of his plan goes well. I especially liked the scene between Schultz, Carter and Hochstetter at the 'roadblock.' But my favorite line by Schultz is:"Carter,you know what your trouble is? You don't know how to be a German , try to be a little less friendly when you're wearing our uniform, otherwise you're going to spoil our reputation." Classic.
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
I had a three hour train ride from NY tonight and read the entire story, start to finish. Quite a different experience from reading it chapter by chapter. I also read Goldleaf's amazing review and I guess there is not much for me to say, because it has all been said! well, I feel VERY ready for the next chapter!
Goldleaf83 chapter 38 . 11/12/2011
It’s taken me too long to get to and work through this magnificent story, but I’m glad I found the time this weekend. So this review is fairly long, to cover all that I’ve read. The story beginning is suspenseful, alternating between the heroes’ frustration of being cut off at every turn and the physical danger of the rescue gone wrong. The next several chapters develop well, with the fracturing and regroupings of the team creating more and more tension. You do a great job in keeping track of where everyone is on this dark rainy night, so that the characters are lost but never the readers. Great physical description of the rescue: I could just feel the cold and the wet and the strength of the current, and how they all had to be sapping everyone’s strength.

Everyone is very much in character in the early section, particularly snippy LeBeau, trying to deal with his feelings over losing Newkirk and unable to keep his temper. Wounded Carter is good too, the way he retreats in self-preservation, and Newkirk is utterly perfect in his sharpness before the rescue, doggedness during it, resourcefulness in finding a way home, and picking up on his commanding officer’s cues even when drugged and half asleep. Hogan is in fine form, intent on rescuing all of his men and not accepting defeat, finding ways around the river and inconvenient Germans as well. The interactions he and Kinch have with Schultz are so well done as they keep the poor guard off balance, and you catch Schultz’s cadences and nonverbal noises just perfectly whenever he’s distressed over what Hogan and Kinch have gotten him into this time!

The story turns in a new and interesting direction as you get to chapters 21-23. The view of Hochstetter is particularly intriguing, as we see him ruminate and reveal unexpected complexities. His discomfort with the deaths of Irma’s friends, the way he sees them as future mothers of the German race is both completely in line with Nazi party ideology and suggestive that he is more human that we often see him. Jäger as a villain, on the other hand, makes Hochstetter look humanized; Hogan’s analysis of him as a collector makes a great deal of sense of his character. I had not heard of the Amber Room before this: what an intriguing historical mystery to pull in as a plot device! It seems quite plausible too.

I did feel a great sense of relief as all the boys finally arrived back at Stalag 13 with their guests: nothing makes me more tense than being separated and unable to find people I’m supposed to join up with, so the first half of this story really played well with that hot button for me! But the plot continues to deepen as the heroes struggle with how to get their guests to safety.

Lots of lovely little touches in this section: Hogan in true comic form on explaining to Klink why Schultz was so late, the problem with underthings for Irma (and the pragmatic solution). I laughed at the line about how to get the tunnel fixed they “followed the established routine: create the problem; make it Klink's problem; suggest a solution while refusing to take part in it.” Yes, that is so exactly the heroes’ formula! The worry about the gunk in the water is very good attention to detail and the ongoing implications of the rescue in the first part of the story: you’re keeping the plot tightly woven through devices like this. And I loved the incredibly touching line on Hogan’s gentleness with Irma: “nobody, not even his mother, had ever heard him speak so gently.”

Other great moments and lines: Carter’s unnerving imitation of Jäger as he repeats what he overheard him saying, Hogan’s unusual moment of sharing amusement with Hochstetter (who’d have thought? But it works!), and Schultz’s response when Carter tells him that his mom says it doesn’t cost anything to be nice to people: “Here, it can get you into a lot of trouble.” Such a perfect comment on the state of fear that dominates in Nazi Germany. And finally, from much earlier in the story, when Hogan first meets Giselle Stadler: “Her voice was soft and low in pitch, with a fascinating tendency to hesitate over some consonants.” Just exquisite physical detail there – also true for chapter 10’s description of the hotel lobby.

Clearly there’s more to come to unravel all the plot knots you have going: this is a masterly story, complex and rich, long but never dragging.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 38 . 10/31/2011
You have got to be one of the best at writing those snappy one liners the boys like to trade off.

"At this distance he couldn't tell Goering from Ginger Rogers." I had a little chuckle over that one. And Carter's exchange with Schultz. Perfectly in character, particularly Carter's mother's saying and Schultz's reply. Marvelous.
96 Hubbles chapter 38 . 10/30/2011
This story continues to be excellent, but I found the character interactions in this chapter to be especially outstanding, particularly between Lebeau and Addison and Carter and Schultz. You're so in tune with the characters and their humour you should have been writing for the show! Someone should definitely keep you in mind if there's ever a reboot!

And I have to give special mention to this line: "He (Schultz) turned away, and gazed down the road, taking refuge, as always, in the frail shelter of his own ignorance." What an absolutely perfect description of Schultz's attitude!
293 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »