Reviews for Castling
lazyguy90 chapter 9 . 3/31
Nice work on this.

Very interesting stuff.

Man, now I totally want to see what would happen in a canon Eva series where "King" version Shinji is running around from the very beginning. Charming, popular and emotionally balanced.

That'd be something to see.
lazyguy90 chapter 6 . 3/31
Mecha Dolemite might be the greatest mecha anything ever created.
Aronim chapter 9 . 3/9
Aaaaw, man, is this dead? Is, is this how you end a series?

I wish this was complete, because it is a joy to read. And, despite your promise, apparently and sadly a hollow one, it was just nice to see something go in the right direction, in both worlds. Even if King was going to screw up, it was nice to see the dysfunctional ones improve through interaction with the good people of King World. And I really wanted to know where this was going.

Though if it you had planned a downer ending on either world, I can live with not reading to that. I got enough of that in canon.

Still, good work, you entertained me a lot with this, even if I'm left with the disappointment of this looking to be a dead fic. Oh well, such is the nature of fanfic.
Aronim chapter 8 . 3/9
Ok, I need to know, is this dead? Because it hasn't been updated in a while and that's a shame, 'cause it's one of the most entertaining Eva fics I've read in quite a while.
Aronim chapter 7 . 3/9
Oh this is great fun. Really great fun.

Can't decide of King Shinji is fixing the canon world or messing it up even more. He does tick off a lot of Stu boxes, as he seems to be an incredible catalyst for positive change at the moment, and the plot bending over backwards for the character is a Stu trait, but I find him interesting enough to like him anyway and he isn't quite a black hole Stu, as not everything works out for him. So no complaints here.

Wow, King Verse is much better, in terms of personal adjustment and stuff, than canon verse. People actually seem pretty happy there. I like it and I like the effect it has on Rook Shinji.

I am very entertained, both by talking and action bits. Frankly, the dialogue has sufficient zest that I think that is my favorite part of the story.

One question: was it on purpose that you called the dreadnought "Dolemite" outside the omake in the previous chapter? It seemed like a joke in the omake.
Ibskib chapter 9 . 3/17/2013
The whole castling thing is a pretty novel idea, having canon Shinji juxtaposed against the happier more well adjusted version is done well. Then there is all that amusing fanservice :-)
MS60Cutter chapter 9 . 12/23/2012
You're beating yourself up unnecessarily for the lack of action; it fits right in with the series. Personally I find your approach fascinating, especially the way in which the parallel worlds mirror each other, and in the way they are the same. I am, also, fascinated by the lack of beat down. Nobody's getting trashed. And, at the same time, the difference is apparent. I like both Shinjis and your approach reinforces that. And, despite my own age and personal cynicism, I am a sucker for a grain of hope.
This chapter and Shinji's awakening was a great treat, featuring, as it does, the essential difference between the two, not just the Shinjis, but the world. I hold out a great deal of hope for a chapter 10 and so on, but, whatever the course, this was a journey worth the effort.
Twylyte chapter 9 . 11/17/2012
... Another story I want to see more of, but I don't suppose you'll write more of this, will you?
It's a very interesting premise, and you build upon it well.
-Twy
dogbertcarroll chapter 9 . 10/11/2012
Great story. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
dogbertcarroll chapter 6 . 10/11/2012
At least no one can complain about Berserk Shinji who eats angels for breakfast, that's canon.
dogbertcarroll chapter 4 . 10/11/2012
Talking Penpen was a bit jarring but the rest was fine.
RagnartheSemiGreen chapter 9 . 2/9/2012
Hey Mr. Talon!

Thanks for the amusing, yet well written story! After reading several dark fics back to back, as they were the only well written Eva stories I could find on short notice, this is quite the breath of fresh air. Thank you! Please write more.
Chargone chapter 9 . 2/9/2012
all that in under three months and then...

nothing more.

assuming i'm reading the dates right anyway. silly American system. makes no sense.

does it count as lying to say the next chapter will include the action then not actually write a next chapter? heheh.

reguardless, i do hope you write more of this at some point. 'tis... quite interesting.
Darkness in the Light chapter 5 . 11/2/2011
I enjoy this story but damn it is heavy.
SeptimusMagistos chapter 9 . 10/13/2011
Well, first of all let me say that the basic idea of the story is really good, and the alternate universe is shaping up to be interesting.

But the big problem I have with it is that the interactions had by both versions of Shinji with the people around them are becoming much too similar. It's understandable that when the more reserved Shinji gets shunted into his more open counterpart's place he can sort of pick up the slack. But the reverse shouldn't work. As you yourself mention, the AU versions of people are basically okay psychologically. The canon versions...aren't. So they shouldn't really be responding to Shinji flirting indiscriminately in the same way the people from the AU do. I keep expecting to see canon Rei or Asuka to totally lose it only to see them go along with everything with no complaints. That kind of behavior really stretches my suspension in disbelief, and it also messes with the point of the story by making the two universes too similar.

Other than that it's really an excellent story. Good luck.