Reviews for New Alliances
frogs hair chapter 12 . 10/2
beautiful writing… and I just love all the little touches you throw in there – like the snippets of Martin and Vicky’s relationship. I also enjoy the overall backstory you’ve created and how it seems to be woven into all of your stories. The subtle ways you show how important Vicky was… and why he was so lost without her. It’s a lot of rich details that makes it all come to life for me. Can’t wait to read more – more of this and your other stories.
jumafan chapter 12 . 9/18
Thanks again for this beautifully written chapter. It really made me sentimental, you captured the gist of Riggs' visit at the cementary perfectly with your words - his ambivalence about going there, his deep sadness mingled with happy and fond memories of his wife. I also liked the way how you described Vicky as a pretty down-to-earth gal who'd take a bundle of simple Bachelor Buttons over a bouquet of Roses any day. Yeah, that's just like I'd always pictured her in my mind, too.
I'm looking forward to the final chapter(s?) and hope you update again soon.
jumafan chapter 1 . 5/2
Auldearn, you're an absolute doll! :-) I'm thrilled to bits that you really took my thoughts to heart and resolved to change Chapter 11 and to make this lovely new addition to Chapter 8. Now it's just perfect - great work! :-) Thank you so much!
agentmeister chapter 11 . 4/30
Would you ever consider doing one of these stories for John McClane and Zeus from Die Hard With A Vengeance?
You have a real knack for it.
I look forward to your future stories.
jumafan chapter 11 . 4/23
Thanks for adding another long chapter, even though for my taste it could have been even longer (yeah, I admit I'm insatiable ;-) ). It was very poignant and touching, especially the part with Riggs' flight from hospital, but also the part with Roger's POV of the events at the nightclub's basement. The small bit of old stuff from the movie pepped up with new details and some new dialogue made it also a good and interesting read. And I found it really cute that you finally gave Riggs the time necessary to find and put on his shoes :-) (Guess this was inspired by the barefoot/shoes-continuity mistake in the movie, huh?)
On the critical side, I was disappointed to see that you didn't cover one bit of the fight between Riggs and Joshua. I think it's quite a pity that you totally left that out, not just because I would have loved to read your take of the fight (either as Riggs' POV or Roger's, or maybe even both), but also because it just is an important climax of the whole plot and I always found it pivotal as Roger's and Riggs' ultimate bonding moment. Can't help it, but skipping it definitely feels like a gap to me.
Then I was very surprised that you opted for Captain Murphy to finally tell Roger that Riggs is widowed. Sure, the movie never revealed who ultimately provided Roger with this information, so it's up to anybody's speculation, who told him and also when. However, after what you wrote in the previous chapters – notably Trish's and Roger's in-bed-conversation about Riggs in chapter 5 and Trish's and Riggs' morning conversation in chapter 7 – it would have been only consequent to have Trish tell her husband about it.
Now seeing the Captain do it, feels oddly „out of line“ with your previous writings. I mean, what was the point in having Trish know about Riggs being widowed, when she never told Roger about it? And why would she keep it a secret from her husband, especially in the light of events that took place after Riggs confided this to her? Hope you don't take offense in me saying that, but honestly, this doesn't make much sense to me. And I may be mistaken, but I have the impression the part with the Captain was more of a post hoc idea than the original plot you had in mind when you wrote the previous chapters.
But on the good side, I really liked your idea of Riggs hanging out at Jake's bar again. It makes sense, because yeah, I can imagine him not knowing where else to go with his loneliness. And this part sure made me very curious for your next chapter as right now, Riggs seems still pretty stuck in his old coping patterns for comfort and I'm wondering how you'll make him come around at last.
PutMoneyInThyPurse chapter 11 . 4/4
God, this is heartbreaking. Amazing, and heartbreaking. You are really freaking building up the suspense (to me at least) about when Murtaugh finds out what was done to Riggs in that place. And your Roger-POV is spot-on amazing, and actually so is your Martin-POV. Love, love, love, love, love.
Mojito737 chapter 10 . 12/20/2016
God! Why every unfinished (yet!) fanfiction have to end with bloody cliffjanger! No really. I hope update will come soon. Can't wait!
jumafan chapter 10 . 11/15/2016
Thanks for another brilliant chapter! Way to go! Once again you've proven you're a very talented writer and have tackled the characters and mind sets of both Riggs and Murtaugh almost to perfection. I agree with you that to Riggs the realization that he failed in his mission to take out all the mercs with his sniper rifle certainly must have been almost as painful a torture as Mr. Endo's electric shock treatment. But good thing he's so stubborn and vindictive ;-) that he wasn't yet ready to admit defeat.
I also found the passage in which you described Murtaugh's feelings of resentment towards Riggs very fitting. Now his remark "Pretty thin, huh?" in the movie makes even more sense.
The only point of criticism: you didn't offer an idea what the heck has happened in between the long time gap from sunrise at Victorville and evening at the night club on Hollywood Boulevard. I always racked my brains what took McAllister and his goons so long before they started interrogating the boys and I'd kinda hoped you might enlighten me, boo-hoo.
Nah, I'm only kidding of course. ;-) You sure did an fantastic job here and it's not unpleasant that despite offering so many new thoughts and angles there're still enough room for having one's own imagination running wild.
As always I'm looking forward to your next chapter.
twisted ivy11 chapter 9 . 4/26/2016
What an excellent story! Been following The Set Up and finally got around to reading this one. Love it. It really adds another layer to the movie, each scene that you have feels like a part of the film rather than just something extra tacked on for no real reason... if that makes sense. Anyway, well done and I will be following this one as well!
jumafan chapter 9 . 4/25/2016
Thanks for updating again. Love the new chapter and was delighted to see you put in the "Ouch"-scene from the script. :-) I always missed this little scene in the movie since it shows a very soft, human and also vulnerable side of Riggs. Guess Donner deemed that superfluous after adding the suicide scene, but I still would have loved to see it. I'm glad you kinda made up for that by imbedding it into your story.
Regarding Riggs' tattoo: you made me wonder once again, what I do see in his tattoo. Despite having seen the movie for countless times I'm still not sure whether I see a green skull pierced by a dagger or a dagger with a green snake wound around it or perhaps even both (snake wound round dagger and through a skull). Dang, now I have to watch the movie again ...
But never mind, your story rocks and I'm looking forward to further updates :-). Keep up the good work!
Watership's Nightwish Rat chapter 9 . 4/20/2016
Cool chapter! Well, look at Riggs being the rock for the family in their time of need. Looks like he's not as prickly as he likes to think he is. XD I look forward to more!
agentmeister chapter 8 . 4/17/2016
Wonderful writing!

You've done a brilliant job fleshing out the characters of Riggs and Murtagh, so much so I never watch LW1 the same way again.

Keep up the great work and may I join the chorus of readers chanting for more.
jumafan chapter 8 . 2/28/2016
Thanks for another very well written chapter! Loved it, but you sure took your freedom with the time line and have stretched it quite a bit ;-)
I always thought it was the sheer fact that Riggs was so busy with the rapid events on the day Dixie Monroe died in the explosion (followed by Hunsacker's death, Joshua's attempt on Riggs and Rianne's abduction on the very same day) that kept him going and not thinking too much about his own misery. My take always was that if there ever was a day for Riggs 'doin' the job' (and thus away from trying to use his gun on himself again) it was this.
But then again I see that just following the movie's/script's time line wouldn't give you so many opportunities to play with new elements and to insert fresh ideas. And you sure have done this which makes your story very interesting, probably much more so than if you'd just sticked to the time line of the movie/script.
So please keep up the good writing, I'm very curious what is to come in your time line and how Riggs will manage to pull himself out of his funk after all!
frogs hair chapter 8 . 2/27/2016
Love, love, love it! Thank you so much for continuing to write. I look forward to more. :)
Watership's Nightwish Rat chapter 8 . 2/26/2016
Nice chapter! Poor Riggs... Depression just doesn't seem to take a vacation for the poor guy right now. Interesting that you brought back the girl, though. Honestly, I didn't think Riggs would have a day off from that case. Not sure why...
I look forward to more of your writings! :D