Reviews for What a Peace Is Mine
Kit chapter 2 . 8/16/2013
Are you going to continue!? It's so good!
Annie C chapter 2 . 9/30/2012
This is fantastic so far! I love the historical threads you've woven throughout and the letters between Mattie and LaBoeuf were amusing. I hope you still have plans to continue this- it's been excellent! :)
Panda chapter 2 . 8/10/2012
I cry because this fic hasn't been updated since last year and I just love how you've set it up. Truly it is magnificent. Well, I will continue to live in hope of updates!
Qoheleth chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
Dear xcgirl:

I see an anachronism. "Ms." is a coinage of the women's liberation movement; it wasn't used in the 19th Century. (And, while I'm being a stickler, I might also mention that the phrase is "a central *tenet* of Our Lord's teachings". "Tenements" are dwellings.)

Sincerely,

Qoheleth
Thallys chapter 2 . 4/22/2012
This is the second True Grit fanfiction I've read, and really I'm happy I did fall into it. This story you've crafted is amazing, truly. The correspondence had me roaring at times, I must say I am very excited to read the next bit !
pamelawright chapter 2 . 2/6/2012
This is a wonderful piece. Witty and interesting. It stays true to the original theming of the film which was so well-crafted, but your historical details and sure handedness with suspense give it a definitive voice from the author.

I very much enjoy this and hope you see it through to it's finale.
KrnYong chapter 2 . 1/28/2012
Is this to be continued? Please say yes :)
KrnYong chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
I must admit that by the time I had finished the first cahpter, I'd completely forgotten that it was just the prologue :P

It was completely absorbing in that Mattie and LaBeouf were written very well. You managed to cappture thier voices, and I could hear them talking as I read.

I especially loved their little nicknames for each other.
DammitJim chapter 2 . 12/10/2011
Great fic! Can't wait to read more!
wickedtrue chapter 2 . 10/20/2011
So, this? Is AWESOME.

I love the details, the rapport between Mattie and LeBoeuf, the little glimpses we get to see Mattie with her family. Mattie is so very IC: in charge but still rather rough in her social delivery.

I thought the first chapter was going to be a setup to this grand swept romance (and cracked up the whole time at their letter exchange), but you have a plot! An awesomely set up plot, and I ate this whole thing on my lunch break.

I know you must be terribly busy, but I do hope you continue this. You have a great style, and selfishly, I want to know how it all works.
Lady Krystalyn chapter 2 . 10/3/2011
This is quite the story you are undertaking! I love the amount of historical accuracy you are putting into it, and the plot is definitely interesting. Can't wait to read more, good luck!
delicate.disaster chapter 2 . 9/14/2011
You know, it's extremely frustrating to find a story that's absolutely phenomenal only to look up at the update date and realize it's been 3 months since the last update. So if I must beg to get you to update.. so be it. Please? Pretty, pretty please with sugar on top? ;]
Pen Against Sword chapter 2 . 8/17/2011
“I believe her intention was to grab me about the waist. She had done this very often when I was a child; whenever I had exhibited a proclivity for charging recklessly about, which was quite often, there would suddenly be Mama's arms to snatch me up and swoop me high out of harm's reach. But I turned away at the same time as my mother advanced further, so she grabbed my left sleeve instead. The pin holding it came free and struck the floor with a clear, silver ring.

We stared at each other.”

I want you to know that this is the most perfect passage ever. Beyond the meticulous, painstaking research, I have to inform you that you are an awesome writer. I wish I could do this.

And this bit? “"I am sorry, gentlemen." Her eyes seemed to take up a good half of her face as they fell on Deputy Walker's body. "The second shot was only to prove that my first was not an accident. If you would be so kind as to step away from my son, now, I would greatly appreciate it."”

Obviously Mattie doesn’t just get it from her father.

“I turned my attention back to the slanted eaves above my bed, which had always seemed to be pressing down upon me with a soundless, insistent patience.”

I think it’s marvelous how you captured a feeling I’ve felt before but have never been able to put into words.

There are so many more little things - I'm thinking of the bits near the end of this chapter with the men rising for her mother and with Lawyer Daggett's story - that are just really striking and fantastic, but I can't list them all, by far.

I just wanted to drop you a note and say, thank you for writing, and I sincerely hope you continue such a fanstastic fic. Good luck with future endeavors. :)
warsawmouse chapter 2 . 8/15/2011
I'm loving the story and impatiently awaiting updates.

the letters in the prologue were amazing - i adore letter fics, but they're hard to write well, esp. when necessary to imitate the manner of a particular time period - yours were perfect

i esp. liked how skilfully you handled the whole part with their break in correspondence - he figures out himself why she's not writing back, manages to convey how he feels about the whole event by penmanship alone, and she comforts him by seemingly offhand remark about a cold gun not having been fired - they manage all that without once coming out and actually speaking about it! brilliant!

i also loved how you introduced every minor character already!

now i can't wait to read about their first face-to-face encounter!
Rowena Hill chapter 2 . 8/11/2011
This story is incredibly well written and detailed, and I love it! I hope that you update soon. :)