Reviews for What a Peace Is Mine
anonymous chapter 2 . 8/4/2011
Very enjoyable. Looking forward to reading more.
dyinglight84 chapter 1 . 7/9/2011
Wow, just wow! I don't have enough words for how much I've loved reading this! Not only are you doing an incredible job of building the relationship of the characters, but you are giving the readers a history lesson! Being a history buff as I am, I find this all very refreshing! I enjoy this wholeheartedly and cannot wait for more!
shallowness chapter 2 . 7/9/2011
Very well set up! I loved how you conveyed Mattie's feelings - the continual use of clocks and ticking was powerful - and described what was going on, especially the difficulties that she faced with only one hand, during the shootings and after. I love how she's still prickly and right and patronised and annoying. (There were a few typos - perhaps it might be worth getting a beta reader to read through the chapters before posting them.)
Halfmoonglasses chapter 2 . 6/22/2011
I am so glad you decided to write more! I loved the first part and you write the characters very well. Especially sharp tongued Mattie Ross. So please don t give up on your story and take your time writing it. I rather wait for a longer period of time, having a good story to read, than fast updates and out of character behavior... You do a wonderful job!
everyday-deeds chapter 2 . 6/21/2011
I love your writing style and how similar it feels to Charles Portis'. Everything about this feels real, much more than is normal for a fanfiction. For that alone, I'm favoriting this- you're taking so much time over this it's awe-inspiring. I really hope you don't make this LaBoef/Mattie, just because I like her refusal to consider marriage at the end of the novel, but that's just me, and I think I'll end up enjoying this no matter what you decide to do. I loved Mattie and LaBoef's correspondence though; it had me laughing a lot. Good luck with everything!
East-Coast-Invictus chapter 2 . 6/21/2011
I can tell already that this is going to be a spectacular read. And you're still updating! I feel your pain on the full time job side, although I've had to drop out of the writing scene for some time. So good for you!

It's very apparent how much time and effort you've put into this, particularly on the research end. I have a mild understanding of how trials work - first an opening statement by defense and prosecution, allowable evidence is presented, then witnesses are called (prosecution first because they have the burden of proving the guilt), cross-examinations, then closing statements. Or something along those lines, if it's any help. Though I figure you've already got that.

ANYWAY. I loved the prologue, even if it was long. The letter banter was fantastic, loved reading it. And the bombshell that is Frank's incident definitely brought the suspense factor to make this an adventure story proper. I like your Mattie; I can hear Hailee Steinfeld's voice while reading it (mostly as that's the Mattie incarnation that I'm most familiar with.) You're very spot on with the characters. Overall, as I said, this is fantastic. Keep it up, and I'm looking forward to the next installment!
GhibliGirl91 chapter 2 . 6/20/2011
Yes! FF is FINALLY letting me review. Stupid thing wouldn't work a few days ago and I had to be satisfied with faving your True Grit fics. I love them both, just for the record.

This is so beautiful and restrained. Laboef and Mattie's letters were perfect, I wouldn't doubt that they were the ones to write them. The amount of sources you've managed to find absolutely boggles too. I can't remember EVER reading such a well researched fic.

The set-up rocks, it's not too similar to the film e.g. vengence etec. There's her motive to help Little Frank and there's also genuine mystery about what happened in the barn, and conflict over the fact that she knew one of the outlaws as a child. The whole thing has made me nearly sick with excitement but that might be because I just ate a load of Angel Delight in one go. The sugar is helping me type :P

For goodness sake update soon or I might die.
Ella Palladino chapter 2 . 6/16/2011
Yay for updating! I'm so excited you're continuing with this, I'm really looking forward to it. :) Great chapter, please don't let anything happen to Little Frank! I can't wait until LaBeouf and Rooster show up.
Lady Irish Rose chapter 2 . 6/16/2011
This is off to a very good start. You have captured the characters very well by my estimation and I greatly admire your attention to the details and niceties of the late 19th century. I can't wait to see how Mattie gets her brother out of this mess...or if she even does.
hereswith chapter 2 . 6/16/2011
Your update really brightened my day, I'm so glad you're continuing this! It's a great chapter and oh dear, how are they going to get out of this mess? I can't wait to find out :-)
Vaako chapter 2 . 6/16/2011
Wow, great chapter! I hope Frank is saved, I feel sorry for all of Mattie's family, and I liked Victoria's dream, it was kinda spooky. I look forwards to more from you, keep up the good work!
GirlieFriday chapter 2 . 6/15/2011
I'm so happy you are still writing this story - the prologue was amazing and chapter one was so stressful (in a good way). I just wanted to throttle her sister and brother!

Please continue - I'm eager for more (especially to see how LaBaouf fits in)!
Jannie chapter 2 . 6/15/2011
Oh my goodness! Another chapter! YAY!

Ugh silly Frank, why didn't you listen to your sister?

Again, beautifully written and obviously well researched. It's great to read a fic that displays much thought and effort.
alysha813 chapter 2 . 6/15/2011
Brilliant chapter mate! Waited forever for this and it was worth it. Can't wait for the next one!
Kazz the 13th chapter 2 . 6/15/2011
OH SWEET JOY. A NEW CHAPTER. MY MONTH HAS BEEN MADE- 33

"That was a silly question. I could also hear the pounding of horses' hooves, shouting voices, but saw nothing pertinent or helpful in telling Mama this." I LOLed. Oh gosh. If that were me I would have been horribly sarcastic. But I guess she does have a point with it not helping anyone...

Also, I probably would've been like "WTF is that? -runs off to find answers without thinking it through-" And Oh! LeBoeuf's gun has entered the mix! I knew there had to be a reason you had him send her one. ;) No, if I found that missing I'd be p.o'ed and worried. I'd probably kill whichever family memeber took it too. .

And now:"There was a high, animal scream. The noise of it drove a spike through everything else and pinned me where I stood.-And I saw the face of its rider, childish in an expression of absolute terror, as the lantern rose high again.

It was Thomas Cain." THIS CAN NOT BE GOOD. Not at all. And GERTRUDE, AGAIN. boy DOES NOT LEARN.

And Oh holy crebs! OO This has just gotten that much better! Oh man! Mattie, Mattie, Mattie, never out of trouble. Where ever will you find LeBoeuf and Cogburn? xD They will NOT be happy about this either. Haha!

I know you researched things so I'm really, really hoping that "Texarkana" is a real term! LMAO. Where exactly would it cover? The area where LeBeouf was talking about?

Dang. This is really kinda intense! Stating articles of the STATE constituion! Gosh, I studied law in college and gosh, I never would've know out state's specific. Mattie is like slapping Quinn all over the place (and it is important to mention he is slapping right back). Oo

Mattie's mother is a BAMF. That is all.

And Mattie should have shot Phineas in the face. xD I love "Phineas and Ferb" but yeah, no. You go gurl.

I'm wondering why W. H.H. Clayton sounds framilar so I'm going to go look that up but its bothering me a bit..

So another chapter for me to enjoy and entice me! I can't wait to read more! :) I hope you update soon! I really like the style, and how well researched this is! Sorry about all the weird comments by the way, I do active reading (horrid school, making me always wanna review things that way) and I kinda comment that way too! Anyway- CAN NOT WAIT FOR MORE! Please keep up the great work! D
76 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »