Reviews for What a Peace Is Mine
Kazz the 13th chapter 1 . 2/13/2011
I didn't review this when I first read it (didn't have easy access to a keyboard) but this was amazing! I loved it! I feel that you've got that characters down pat, the vernacular is correct, and you've put so much work in, it truly is awesome! I especially loved the way Mattie addressed her letters to LaBoeuf. And I also enjoyed looking for the subtle change in the way that letters were written, starting with the content then moving on to the way there were addressed and signed!

I am very much looking forward to the 1st chapter! I do hope you continue with this story! I'll be checking everyday! Keep up the great work! :D

~Kp
Panache chapter 1 . 2/11/2011
Far from boring me to tears, you have completely enthralled me as a reader. You have an amazing grasp on character voices and your extensive research adds wonderful depth and texture to the piece. I will happily read whatever you want to add to this story whether it be another 17,000 word chapter (oh please, pretty please) or 500 words.

I love the details in this, the little things that betray a connection between Mattie and LeBoeuf without forcing it into some kind of predetermined box. It just is what it is and its wonderful for that. I think I have now subscribed to you in every way possible, so that I can read anything else you grace us with. Thank you for this.
graciela chapter 1 . 2/9/2011
Okay, this was an epically awesome star to what's sure to be an epically awesome story. I'm a big fan of the well-done epistolary story, and this one was perfect! Looking forward to the next chapter!

(I did spot one anachronism-since Ben Franklin was long dead by this time, I'm guessing Mattie wouldn't have used Poor Richard's Almanack, but perhaps the Farmers' Almanac or the Old Farmer's Almanac?)
hollywoodz0mbie chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
I read this in one sitting and now I find myself checking at least a few times a day to see if you've updated. This is fantastic.
Fan chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
I simply love it. Sometimes I hated how one of them took longer to answer (or the letters to be delivered) and I was like WHY CAN'T THEY TALK EVERY WEEK? WHAT IS THIS? xDDD

I hope to see more of this soon, it's incredibly well written and you can see that you've taken your time to do your research. :)
Cathryn chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
This may be long, but I found it well worth the read, and was actually disappointed when I got to the end - I wanted it to keep going! Your attention to detail is really impressive, and I loved the dynamic between Mattie and LaBoeuf and seeing it develop through the letters. The letters themselves were fun, too, and the style of them and your precise use of dates really captured the sense of what it would be like to communicate entirely through the slow-moving post. Epistolary storytelling can be tricky, but you blended it well with the narrative to keep the pacing moving at a comfortable speed.

I'm putting this on my story alerts and I look forward to future installments.
JeanieBeanie33 chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
I literally said "YES!" when I saw that you were writing this. And how long it was. Took me a couple days to read all of it :))

More, soon? I love how you fleshed out the years. Gives it a sense of continuity.
firestonedust chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
Holy hellfire! I started reading this and COULD NOT STOP (in one sitting, at the edge of my seat, absorbed by these letters). This is fantastic. You have me starving for more.
hereswith chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
Very glad to see that you're writing more about these characters! I loved the whole idea of them corresponding for so long and the progression of their letters. Your attention to detail adds richness to the story and you write Mattie wonderfully.
Jannie chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
So considering this is my third time reading this I figured I ought to leave a little rave about it :) I love how much effort and research you put into this. It really shows and gives the piece depth. Awesome prologue chapter is awesome.

Mattie and LaBoeuf are so in character it's crazy. I love at the end how LaBoeuf gets peeved when Mattie doesn't write him back. And, yeah, that Cain kid is gonna be trouble. Jerk. Totally looking forward to the next chapter that I can read three or four times :)
Anenihan chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
Wow, the research.. the detail... this is why my True grit story is still just a rough draft in my head, I don't have the time to do the research I feel necessary to make it believable. I'm not creative enough to make up stuff that sounds acurate and true, and too anal retentive and ocd to not use real people and facts. *Sigh* one of these days. But I love the letters between the two, true to form and fun. What a great way to span a few years and start a story... though it was very long.

Can't wait for more. meow
A.S chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
I loooooove this, especially because of the accuracy. Can't wait for more.
IdRatherDance chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
Wonderful! Your use of historical events is fantastic. I can't wait to read more. I fear that Cain boy is going to be troublesome. (Is his biblical name relevant to his character or am I simply reading too far into it?) I love that the prologue ended with LaBoeuf asking Mattie about her braids, it was very sweet and seemed like something he would ask about. You've really set up your story well and I, for one, am a huge fan of lengthy chapters.
alysha813 chapter 1 . 2/5/2011
Wow. Ok next time you want to write an insanly long chappy, tell me. That way I can see again. Because when you have the light off with a very bright screen on, it can get heinously dizzying. But it was worth it! I love this story already and hope you update again soon!
Liz chapter 1 . 2/5/2011
I. LOVE. THIS. Your first fic has been my favorite of the output that's come since the movie and this is a real treat. As a history student, I love the amount of research and detail you put in. More importantly, you have the style and characters down pat. There were several parts where I truly did laugh out loud because they were so in character. I cannot wait to see where you take this next!
76 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 Next »