Reviews for Back and Front
geophf chapter 1 . 3/29/2015
Referred by way of Theunder015.

An excellent character study of Rosalie Lillian Hale in under 500 words by our ever-unreliable narrator.

I liked, in this study, how you married Rosalie's physical appearance to her spiritual one. She is unbowed, both physically and spiritually, and, not because she has her pride (she does) and vanity (she debates this point), but because if she were to bow, the whole of the Universe would collapse in on itself.

It's not vane: it happened; her entire family and their fortune was ruined with her fall, and she has never forgiven herself since.

So she has to be strong and powerful now, because if she isn't ... well, ... nobody else is, are they? So she has to be strong for all the rest.

Except when she's not... just the slightest touch, and she's ruined, again. Just a shared laugh with Alice, and her exterior fa├žade crumbles, showing her heart, the one that stopped beating and the one she tore out of her chest a century ago. Just another stupid move from that stupid-head Edward Cullen, and her rolling eyes undo her.

Rosalie Hale is pure white, pure cold fire, and Bella Swan is all warmth and gooey and sweet dark chocolate. Like a double-Sun, they rotate around each other, pretending the other isn't the big huge white elephant-human in a room full of vampires, or isn't the one-woman crusade with not the world but a chip on her shoulder that would make Atlas shrug under the weight. Even if he didn't want to.

Total opposites, Bella Swan, who was given nothing and has nothing to give, and Rosalie Hale, born to privilege and holds everything tight, tight, tightly within her cold, dead, empty chest. There is no way that anything good could come out of the two, because they have nothing in common ...

But, ... still ... why does Rosalie keep looking across (looking ... 'down') the cafeteria at that clumsy, stupid, foolish Bella Swan, only to mock?

And why can't Bella Swan get that conceited, stuck-up, b-rhymes-with-witch-word, Rosalie Hale out of her head?

Brava, Berndi: Back-to-Front, then: Front-to-Back, the little glances go from Bella to Rosalie to Bella and back, neither wanting the other know that she sees and knows more than the other can admit about herself.

Favored.
MadTrout chapter 1 . 1/24/2014
Nearly 500 words was not enough of this. You wrote this so beautifully and your interpretation of Rosalie's character (and Bella's in a way) was fantastic. The comparison to Atlas was a a great connection. Rosalie does have a lot to burden, doesn't she?
Well, I hope you enjoyed this review as much as I enjoyed that piece of fiction right then. Please, I hope to see more Rosalie/Bella from you. Thank you.
jet911 chapter 1 . 11/3/2013
wow. That was beautiful. Thank you for posting it.
Bianca St.Butter chapter 1 . 2/11/2013
I've reviewed before, but I just have to say...
damn, this is good. I just adore it. Haven't read fanfiction in months - this is the first on my faves list I went for. Because its so. freaking. good.
In less than 500 words you say more than I can in 50,000. You should feel really proud of your work. Such talent.
Pridemunkeyz chapter 1 . 12/22/2012
Such... It's... This is great.
Yazzy6 chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
That. Was. Epic.

Wow.

I wish there was more.
winterstale chapter 1 . 3/31/2011
I loved this!

Bella's voice is so clear and familiar to me here. I loved that you chose to do an interior monologue because she is the observer in canon. You told me a huge story with just a few words - so impressive. You did a great job carrying the idea of Rosalie's public and private persona through the entire piece, created such a clear picture of her and how she's effected by the human losses she re-lives every day.

This ~ "The back is where the blows are given - and taken. Where the fist, the foot, the whip meets flesh, blood, bone. The back is what they aim for, when one is tied to a whipping post. Where else to punish, but the place that holds you up?" ~ was gorgeous. Way to drive the idea home with a poignant and very specific metaphor!

The closing phrases were intensely erotic without resorting to over-description or cliche.

Thanks for writing and sharing! I was very excited to stumble upon your work!

Take care,

~w
LightStarDusting chapter 1 . 3/31/2011
What a fantastic story you tell in only a few words. The word economy here is astounding and spot on. We really get a sense of who Rosalie is through Bella's eyes.

So much to love about this piece but this is what really stood out: "The back is where the blows are given - and taken. Where the fist, the foot, the whip meets flesh, blood, bone. The back is what they aim for, when one is tied to a whipping post. Where else to punish, but the place that holds you up?"

Thank you for writing. This was gorgeous.

xoxoxo
Here's Where the Story Ends chapter 1 . 3/31/2011
Wow. I'm seriously speechless here. This was fantastic, and beautiful and a little gutting. I love when writers make every word matter.

Gorgeous job!
JJ47 chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
Very nice. Are you going to continue this?
Avarenda chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
an insightful look into Rosalie.
rocket-runner chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
I absolutely adored this story. (Is it a story? One-shot?)

The descriptions were very eloquent. The concept and comparisons were beautiful. Rosalie is Atlas. Very accurate.

My favorite line, though, was definitely the last one. "When my fingers touch her back, she trembles." Gah, so very good.

I know this review sort of failed, but I was trying not to ramble on an on. Just know that I sincerely enjoyed it, and I definitely want more Rosalie/Bella.

Keep writing,

- Chelsea
O. N. Labbit chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
Oh wow. WOW. Your use of vocabulary is just... WOW. I am stunned into near silence (if it wasn't for this horrible need to always let you know my opinion). Your prose is so beautiful, Bern... just...beautiful. _ Your description of Rosalie makes one fall in love with her.

You know what was funny? The first paragraph I thought you were writing about Leah and Rosalie. HAHA I, for some reason, thought this was a Rosalie/Leah story. :D In fact, I was near the bottom of the page when I realized this was Bella. I was thinking, why is Edward with Leah? Man, I must be tired. (Don't mind me.)

Great job. Please, for the love of all that is literary in the world, write another chapter. :D lol

~Labbit ;)
amUous chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
Wow.

Simply,wow.

Just, wow.
LaCherePetite chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
Wow... It's Rosalie, right? (rhetorical question) lol...

Anyways, it's a good way to describe her, very descriptive...

Captivating.