Reviews for Sons of the Wolf and the Bear
Guest chapter 15 . 1/10/2012
I really like this story. Good writing and well developed characters. It is hard to find good stories about early Germania.

"I am glad that's settled then. Now, Ansuharjaz, would you kindly pass me the potatoes?" -There were no potatoes in Europe until the 16th century.
Wolf's Honour chapter 14 . 5/10/2011
Ive read it through and I got to say you've done extemely well. If you made one about Japan though that would be an exceptionally good story to follow. Please continue
NoMoreSanity chapter 14 . 3/16/2011
Simply excellent, but that's par for the course for this fic. The drama and tension is highlighted quite well in this scene, the tension is struck up a few notches, and I find myself dreadfully awaiting the conclusion to this arc. Athawulfaz (Dear god that's a chore to type, I don't know how you do that and the rest of the names once ever few sentences) is exceedingly awesome as usual, and Heruwulfaz's attitude is very well-written in the situation he's put in.

I'm really liking how you twist these regular game occurrences into these epic arcs that satiate readers well, and how the imagery of the scenery and characters is worded so well it more than makes up for the lack of pictures. Though I'm unsure how you wrote Hrabnaz's betrayal into a story based on an in-game event that may or may not happen depending on the enemies diplomatic skills, though I have not played Barborum at all, so it might be just a feature in that I am not aware of. Whatever, it's still cool. The inevitable confrontation between the two nations, and the betrayed brothers, is one I am sure will be epic.

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter, loyal Sweboz reader NMS.
Vlad Taltos chapter 10 . 3/16/2011
Ha! Called it! I knew one of the brothers would be in a coup, although I expected one of the brighter ones, and that they would be the mastermind instead of a pawn in someone else's game. It's still a coup, so I'm happy. Will Herywylfaz weather this unexpected storm or will everything he has built come crashing down? The story isn't listed under 'tragedy' so I'm guessing he will persevere.

The traveling spy is a nice touch to the story. Even though it's not as exciting and is probably more long term where plot is involved, I like how you show Hagaradaz's reactions to new things and the details that only an outsider can notice about a place.

I'm going to read more soon, but i have to go to bed.

Your Loyal Reader, Vlad Taltos
NoMoreSanity chapter 13 . 3/10/2011
I remember reading this on the Total War forums, where I had gotten a link to the thread from the TvTropes recommendation page. Now at first I forgot about it due to mu own absent-mindedness and lack of frequency to TW Center, though upon seeing it here I rushed to read the latest chapter, and by gods is this story good. Your characters are all well done and expressed beautifully. The imagery is also quite excellent, as you prevent the pitfalls of lack of pictures in the AAR by giving good descriptions of the battle and events or just focusing on single perspectives, a nice dramatic choice in my opinion. And the suspense and political intrigue of the last few chapters only wets my appetite for more.

This is an excellent story is what I'm saying. You're a great writer, and even though I know nothing of the Sweboz Confederacy, especially since I haven't played Europa, you've got me hooked on their people and culture. Truly excellent writing man. I'll be glad to see this continue.

One question though. Will this be updated along with the version on TW Center? I know that's probably a yes, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for making such a great story, I can't wait for more.
Vlad Taltos chapter 2 . 3/10/2011
Wow, that was some of the best storytelling I've ever read. I am simply amazed that no one has reviewed this story yet. Your grammar is eloquent, your vocabulary is vast and your characters are crazy (the only proven way to make a character interesting, make them crazy). I love how few and far between any mistakes are. I wish my stories could be as good.

Although I have a distaste for modern-day politics, I find the subject rather depressing, fictional stories about the manipulation of the masses by a few cunning charismatic individuals is fascinating to me. Heruwlfaz's speech in this chapter was incredibly well written and I can't wait to see what he does with his newfound power. How will he keep control of an unruly Thing in the future? What enemies will he make while out conquering new lands? When (not if, when) will his brothers start plotting a coup, if the haven't already?

I might be the only fan in the stadium to root you on, but that just means I'm the loudest. Thank you for writing this story.

Your Loyal Reader, Vlad Taltos