Reviews for The Pillars of Power
Kairan1979 chapter 2 . 3/1
It makes sense that the war started with the assassination of Cygnus Black blamed on Wizard's Rights Front. It's not important who really killed him; it was perceived as another attack of muggleborns.
P.S. I don't understand how can you label this story 'complete'.
Kairan1979 chapter 1 . 3/1
I can easily imagine Pureblood lords seeing Voldemort as a tool that can be thrown away when he outlived his usefulness. I bet they were unpleasantly surprised when their sons and daughters were swayed away by Voldemort's rherorics, and the son of 'mudblood' became the only cure for that menace.
wise harry chapter 2 . 10/5/2014
Great story.
I really imagined the most rich pure bloods to be the way you have shown Cygnus. They are frustrated to see the culture they love eroded away and angry at Dumbledore for allowing it to happen despite his influence. Of course there are also the extremists who would gladly follow Voldemort regardless but that for me always was a small minority.
Dumbledore is not to blame fully- the muggle world is changing and the magical one can't keep pace what with its denizens being sop long lived. He simply tries to do what he feels best. He has his own experiences to guide him- what with his brush with the dark and his ambitions of ruling the magical and muggle world and so he is against anything that remotely resembles that train of thought.
Of course there were parts that I did not like. Like how Gerald Potter despite being so old seemed to have little restraint and used very little logic and was almost slave like in his respect for Dumbledore. Of course taking Harry as a template that is possible- he always used to revere Dumbledore beyond anything but even so Gerald is way older and could have been given a lot more depth. Some what like how Bones was treated. She clearly agreed with Dumbledore's views on werewolves but still voted against him because she didn't know about what precautions he would take and didn't fell satisfied by them.
Guest chapter 2 . 10/2/2014
oh my God.
What a take on pureblood politics. Just two chapters and tells a heart-rending story of what might have been, what could have been, if only... if only Bellatrix's father had lived. And isn't that a strange thought?
Fullmetal11791 chapter 2 . 4/20/2014
Awesome story man! Really well done. Was honestly hoping for a different outcome , but was expecting this.
LykaZ98 chapter 2 . 5/14/2013
I've always admired politics. From afar, of course. Like a coin, there are two sides in politics. You've merely shown the other side of politics, as is from a pureblood's view. And you did a mighty good job at it. Very well-written fanfic.
Although there are problems with the quick switching of the point of views;first-time readers will have a hard time with it. I had no problem enjoying this. Now, we have a plausible view of how and why Voldemort rose to power. Again, I highly recommend this.
Anarade Relle chapter 2 . 3/25/2013
Transplanting interpretations from Roman history from the turbulent time of the latter years of the collapse of the Roman Republic and its transformation into the Empire is something I've seen only once before in Harry Potter fiction (which had Harry as a Octavion and Sirius Black as a Caesar figure). It was interesting to see somebody in-universe make a conscious allusion to Sulla/Caesar. I have to say this story does it well. The feel of the wizarding world, as shown from this story, is both authentic and believable. I quite enjoyed it.
vassilea11 chapter 2 . 3/20/2013
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO. I was really hoping Lord Black would lead the way to a new world
Trahald of Uru chapter 2 . 12/21/2012
You call this complete? How did LeStrange and Malfoy respond? When does Voldemort go all-out terrorist?
Madame Minuit12 chapter 2 . 12/2/2012
holymoly...i did not expect that!
I was actually really looking forward to see what Black would have done :( I cannot wait to see what is going to happen now, though I'm genuinly sad to see hi gone...
Snakefang93 chapter 2 . 11/1/2012
Dumbledore is as responsible for the war as Voldemort. Your story made me think from the POV of Cygnus Black and the elitist in me is purring for revenge. Remus Lupin's is a dangerous beast, no matter how much JKR justified that he is only dangerous only once a month. Readers seem to conveniently forget how close he came to turning Snape in maurader era and Harry Potter, Ron Weasle and Hermione Granger in the Prisoner of Azkaban.

If Sirius wasn't there, Harry would be werewolf food. Of course *sneer* Harry later feels how unfair it is for Lupin to leave.

At first, I went along with Harry's thinking. But start thinking from the POV of a pureblood conservative wizard.

He cherishes his traditions and culture. He accepts muggleborns into his society since they have magic. Then, Dumbledore comes along, threating to destroy everything he holds dear just to coodle the muggleborns. He still watches with patience.

Then, the muggleborns start a militant movement against the ministry with the support of Dumbledore. He doesn't have much of a choice than go towards Voldemort, who promises the preservation of magical culture and heritage.

JKR make it look that wizards who have lived and experienced things in the magical perspective were a bunch of illiterate morons and the magical world needed muggleborns for mordernization.

No side in the war is blamelss really. The supremeist inside me is screaming for retribution. It also explains why Voldemort had so many willing followers. It's Dumbledore's fault really.
sambrooke chapter 1 . 7/6/2012
I suppose being the "Winner of DLPs January Contest" means something? But all I can think, is that being a DLP Contest Winner is meaningless if this is the quality it produces. In addition, this fiction reads as if it's preaching to the choirs. To anyone that simply wants to read something of interest, they won't find it in this story.

For example, where is Lord Cygnus Black? At Hogwarts? In the Grand Chamber of the Wizengamot? It's unclear at first. It only becomes clear later on that you're interwoven two story-lines.

The argument about werewolves is completely ludicrous. Lord Cygnus Black only has this argument: "The law says that werewolves are beasts, therefore they are beasts." Lord Gerald Potter (as a character) comes straight out of a James Potter bashing fiction. His argument is that werewolves are only dangerous when transformed. As an author, you never moved the argument beyond that. What about their ability to cause cursed wounds on every other day of the month? No?

Now, while this fiction written from Lord Cygnus Black POV, that doesn't mean you're free to bash anyone who the guy dislikes. Calling Lord Potter out for not speaking for himself, is rather rich when the Dark Families do nothing else but repeat each other's arguments. Arguments that seem far removed from reality.

And what's with Lord Potter's disproportionate responses? In fact, the whole debate is anything but upper-class (as these wizard effectively are).

And that's simply the first quarter of this chapter.

The wizarding world faces problems, some of which originate from the muggle world. The muggle world is developing differently; changing faster; growing larger; and becoming more dangerous. But that also means that those problems are there regardless of Dumbledore. The wizarding world also faces problems of its own making. The Gaunt family was a brilliant illustration (as was Remus Lupin himself).

You try to explore some of these problems. But you fail. I barely managed to read through to the end.
GenJordan chapter 2 . 3/26/2012
I greatly enjoyed this short story, and found it quite plausible and believable. Thanks for posting and sharing it!
X-elemental chapter 2 . 3/23/2012
Truly, the most excellent piece of want for a nail or time-travel fic is one that doesn't end up doing anything...Or does this do?

Indeed, it seems as if Voldemort and Dumbledore are working together, hand-by-hand, and it is view of how the white and black sides of chessboard defeated their grey opposition.

Do I have correct impression? Or seeing forest from a tree?
Aimee1994 chapter 1 . 2/28/2012