Reviews for Empire's Son
Axcel chapter 1 . 6/30
You know, if Palpatine was half as competent a ruler as he was a plotter and orator, he probably wouldn't have had a rebellion to fight. At the very least, support for the rebellion would have been severely reduced. After all, the only reason empires have a bad reputation is because of the bad rulers that pop up. The rulers of most empires are either good or neither good nor bad. It seems to sort of slide with generations, much like it does in wealthy families. You have the founder of the family's wealth/power, then his children are raised being taught to value what they have and to be good rulers. Next comes the grandchildren who are coddled by their parents and grandparents and raised in wealth. They tend to not be bad rulers but not particularly good either. They generally aren't really notable in history because they were just sort of...there. Next comes the great-grandchildren who are raised spoilt and arrogant. They tend to be bad rulers with bad decisions and mostly focused on their own wants and pleasure than what is best for their people. After them comes the great-great-grandchildren who tend to be crappy rulers that everyone hates. If the generation after them sucks, too, then there will probably be a rebellion. Finally, if the great-great-great-grandchildren are not terrible rulers then they will be good rulers. I think it is because they grew up watching how badly other people were treated by their parents and others in power. People have a conscience. They feel bad when they see others feel bad. More impactfully, those kids nannies who raised them likely would be seen being treated badly or overheard talking about how badly others are being treated by the people in power. Kids are protective of their loved ones, such as those who raised them. Like nannies.
This is amazing. Why have I not given this a chance until now?
omnipotent Porunga chapter 34 . 5/13
What a BEAUTIFUL story! Built with so much drama, and Vader just right brought tears in my eyes in the end.
Dragonjek chapter 1 . 4/2
"I should also say that this is, purposely, a much smaller tale—after writing a whacking great big trilogy, I felt like something a little less elaborate was the order of the day, so this is an attempt to hit the standard novel length with a simpler and more intimate plot. Hope you enjoy it."

"a much smaller tale"
"I felt like something a little less elaborate"
"a simpler... plot"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
ROFLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
hurricaneclaw chapter 34 . 3/12
Few fics ever incite any sort of emotional reaction from me more than mild amusement, I can probably count them all on one or two hands.
This one is definitely up there - I've finished reading it less than a minute before typing this message and, you know that empty feeling you get in your chest when you finish a really really good book? I've got that going right about now.
You've torn my heart out and patched it together expertly so many times during this story, you better be darn proud of what you've written here.
pyc97 chapter 33 . 3/9
A nice, detailed story. Nice emotional ending as well.
NorthernStar chapter 33 . 3/6
I love the 'Son of Suns' trilogy so much that I tried to approach this with realistic expectations because, of course I couldn't I love this one as much, could I?
How stupid of me to doubt you! I love this every bit as much but for vastly different reasons.

Young Luke is terribly fascinating, deeply troubled and emotionally scarred, purposely surrounded by people who reinforce the belief that he deserves the treatment he receives yet still strong and beholding of the Light despite the Darkness that fills his life. His use of drugs is both saddening and understandable, as is his justifaction that it began as a way to protect himself even as it becomes clear that is no longer what it is. Its genuinely touching as he begins to respond to the consideration and care that Han gives him and their scenes together are just wonderfully written.

Han is great throughout. It took me a while to adjust to his POV (after so much of Luke's in the previous trilogy) - your writing is all the fiction I've read these last few weeks - but it brought so much that it was easy to settle into. His gradual understanding of Luke and why he acts as he does is just wonderful and you write his belief in Luke and his innate goodness so well.

Palpatine is even more twisted and vile in this. His careful, methodical manipulation of Luke's emotions and thoughts, the cruel insiduous way he isolates Luke from any attachment or support is unsettlingly close to a paedophile grooming a child. This is so subtle and skillfully written that it feels uncomfortable to read of him laying hands on Luke and kissing his head and repulsively invading his mind to see his vision and it's never less that completely earned.
The lies he spins to Luke and Vader about Kenobi are ugly but horribly compelling and had me gripped as did the slow reveals of the truth.

It took a while to adjust to Leia being the Skywalker but I loved the use of her here. The Death Star sequence was enthralling, seeing what changed, what didn't and of course culminating in Luke saving Leia in the trench.

I did love Indo towards the end despite being, to all intents and purposes, Palpatine's enabler. There are parents like him in the world, so utterly focused on their children's futures that they forget to consider the present, and you wrote him so vividly that when it's revealed that he's Luke's supplier, it makes perfect sense and I couldn't hate him for it.

The finale was gripping, with Han's actions so very understandable and yet, still somewhat unsettling. I like the open ending, with the Empire in dissarray and Luke finally free, in body if not in mind, and I'm so pleased that you're writing a sequel. I can't wait to read it.

Thank you so much for another cracking read.
Abhi chapter 2 . 2/9
Hey I just finished reading this story and wanted to tell you that it was one of the best I read.
Also I tried visiting your website, alongtimeago dot org, and it redirected me to some chinese site?
So you might want to look into that.
SiriuslyPink chapter 3 . 1/21
I hope there's a time skip? I came here hoping for a fic somewhat similar to your Sith Luke trilogy and I just think 15 is too young. Idk how I feel about this yet.
BodhiJones chapter 34 . 1/18
Wow... well I honestly wasn't too sure about taking up this story. Did I want to read about Luke & co. in a younger AU scenario? I hesitated, but I'm so glad I took the plunge!

Your story-telling is amazing, the pace leaves you wondering 'what'll happen next...argh!... MUST FIND OUT!' and the plot is dizzying (plots within plots.. Palpatine would be so proud of you) ;)

Expertly written, heartbreaking and exciting. The characterisation really is exceptionally spot on. LOVED the blossoming friendship between Luke and Han especially. My word.. the feels when they finally hug it out! I was utterly consumed by this story and all too sad by the time I had raced to the end. Dammit.. that was completely un-put-downable! Coming to your writing (and this site) only recently, I've had the luxury of having a glut of your work to catch up on, just wished there was more of it! I can only hope that the next instalment gets completed soon!

I've looked around the site here for alternatives, but there simply is -nothing- that's coming close to your style and skill and spinning out these fantastic stories. I'm going to have to go back to the beginning and take a slower read through your work (because I absolutely raced through this!)

I've held off posting a review for a while as I wasn't sure how best to express how absolutely I've been enjoying your writing. It really is stunning. So a sincere thank you for sharing your work on here.
treacherously chapter 34 . 1/18
oh god, i survived. somehow.. but poor luke ugh
so excited you already have a couple chapters of the sequel up.
treacherously chapter 28 . 1/17
all the mara mentions! but luke is so messed up and god knows mara is too that i don't think this will be like Sun of Sons, which was still hella angst but at least they got to be happy in the end. i have a bad feeling that somehow luke will never be happy/doesn't know how to? plus the whole spice thing don't get me started..

but also all the darth/luke daddy/son feels. eeeeeepppp
treacherously chapter 26 . 1/17
nOOOOOO my small sweet infant child whyyyyyyyyyy
treacherously chapter 22 . 1/17
hOLY SHIT BRO
a lot just happened.
and i've decided all i really want is for luke to be happy? is that too much to ask lol
treacherously chapter 21 . 1/16
awww see Indo is emotionally invested in Luke, just. like. me.
nearly gave me a heart attack with that han/luke fight. brotp forever man.
also i forgot that luke was hidden for a months or a year before he was "born" so is he tech 17? like leia and how old IS han? 20?
ugh, i have to go to my birthday party now and all i'm going to be thinking about is this drama.
and as always needs more mara haha
1,179 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »