Reviews for The Spirit of Redemption
BlackRavenD chapter 162 . 3/25
Oh. My. God. What a story! So very very good! Spent over a year reading it and now I finally finished, but I wish I hadn't. Gonna miss tbis story SO much. It was a really huge part of my life for that year. While I read it I would forget to eat, because I was so focused in it that I just couldn't stop reading. One thing that I really liked about this story is how it gave way to new original characters to grow and own their place. How it wasn't just about Shepard and Shepard's life, it was about all of it. The galaxy evolving and shifting and new people arriving and new species flourishing. A deeper look into the cultural background of the diferent species, which is a thing I really missed in the games. Wow, I just want to congratulate and THANK you with all my heart, for giving me such awesome times, such good characters for me to fall in love and hate and fall in love all over again. In these final chapters I cried so much every time someone would go into the cryopods, because I felt like a friend was gone, not to comeback. I felt everything with each character throughout the story, how they grew, how they learned, how they became who they were at the end. I never read something like this, and I'm really glad that I had tha t opportunity. Again, thank you very very much!
Greetings from Brazil ;*
RiotDragon chapter 25 . 3/22
So, I have to say that so far this is one of the best Mass Effect FF's that I've read to date. Rarely do I see OC's done so well. So today I decided to check and see how much of this glorious story I have left to go through. And to my surprise, I've barely scratched the surface. And for that, I thank you.

I've been meaning to review this, but normally I end up reading at work where I can't reply, so I'll just put most of me thoughts in here.

Very clever with the Haliat 'plastic surgery' thing. I always thought he looked odd, but didn't realize that he was actually a turian design. I like that you went with Dara and Rellus, as opposed to Dara and Eli, as I thought that they didn't really mesh well together.

And I had a curious question. The whole culture of the turians, from the wedding knife, to the face paint on women, to the rites, biting, and all that. Was that entirely your creative input? Or is that all canon lore for the turians. Because if it is your creative input, would you mind if I were to use the same as canon in my future Mass Effect stories?
omfgtabby chapter 162 . 3/20
While I find the prose well written, I feel it's wasted on the unfortunate attitudes of the author (especially in regards to relationship of gamer and game developer, and character development) unkind commentary.

Furthermore, the choice to shun relationships that stray outside heterosexual pairings because of a fear of not correctly hitting all the right gay community notes is disingenuous and indicative that the author fails to separate persona from person and understand that gay people and couples can fulfill certain tropes and stereotypes without being reduced to those tropes and stereotypes.

There is also the matter of her erasure of asexuals, choosing to have her narrative frame an entire race's canon asexuality as being a by-product of societal conditioning, rather than a legitimate and natural biological function, upon which she could explore the effects of said asexuality in an environment which would encourage romantic (but NOT sexual) feelings.

Finally, there are almost no non-white or non-white-passing human characters that aren't straight from the games. Her lack of representation in this fic, among other things, has made it impossible for me to reconcile my enjoyment of the writing itself with the problematic themes, which is frustrating given that I have for the most part genuinely enjoyed this work. I hope that her future endeavors will improve on these matters.
SuperYuuki chapter 162 . 3/15
Final thoughts: holy shit.
Seriously. I cited three times during this last chapter. Sadly I kept procrastinating and it took me 2-3 months to read on and off. I cried during Gavius's reaction to Agnes's passing. I cried during a lot of the burials/cyro preservations.
This is a masterpiece and I feel like the Mass Effect world and even my our own world is forever changed in my eyes.
Just... Wow.
Geo Nova chapter 134 . 3/11
"Do I Sing?"

;_; God it's the simple things that hit me the most in the this story.
I finally finished this, all 3.5 MILLION words. It was a ride from start to finish. And the best work of fiction I have EVER read. The best universe I've ever been introduced to, and I mean out of all of them, but just mass effect fanfics.
I've never read something that felt so complete and PERFECT in its pacing and ending.
I can't wait to go buy and read the Valkyrie and every other book you publish. I can honestly say you are my favorite author now. Your world building is phenomenal, your characters are beautiful and perfectly flawed, and the amount of care and work that had been so obviously put into this is absolutely awe inspiring. Thank you so much for writing this.
Arwen4 chapter 162 . 2/28
Hi, Myetel! I am a very recent transplant into the Mass Effect universe, but thanks to a dear friend, I am here to stay. That same friend pushed your story to me and said "Read it. It'll be what you want the universe to be...how you want it to end, everything you aren't going to get out of ME3."

And she was right. She really was right. I cried within the pages of your story, just as I sobbed during the game. I laughed more times than I can count, and texted her quotes that will stay with me for a long time.

I guess, I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for writing a story that so many love, that fleshed out an entire universe in such a way that I now have a fully realized head-canon. One that will conflict in some pretty epic ways with the decided reality.

I loved every minute of it, and I can't wait to read more of your stuff. That being said...can haz the bonus chapter? :D

3 me...
SuperYuuki chapter 160 . 2/20
Lantar banged his head on the desk that's priceless I laughed really damned hard
SuperYuuki chapter 156 . 2/8
It has been... Holy shit when did I start reading this? It has been at least three months. Three months of reading this whenever I had the chance. I have not regretted a second of it. I mean, I still haven't read the epilogue a but those only half-count, I think. I have finished reading Spirit of Redemption and it has left a tangible mark on me. I found myself approaching my own novel-writing with this level of complexity in mind and then failed to even comprehend orchestrating this many plots, sub-plots, character arcs, and relationship arcs. I tip my hat to you. And will continue drawing your characters now that my study-halls won't be taken up by reading your fic. ;)
SuperYuuki chapter 131 . 1/23
What the hell even ARE Volus. How do they exist I can't even
The ice furniture, the tiny houses, the LIVING HOUSE FURNISHINGS, they look like seal manatee penguins out of some sort of adorable children's movie but all they ever talk is business business money money money
I love them I want twenty
I think Valak's arc is currently my favorite here. I would've loved to see the press conference.
Such a damn amazing story to have read that started with my favorite character femshep then leading to a new favorite in Dara and Eli

Thank you for an amazing journey in that universe and through literature.
Kellhound chapter 162 . 1/5
First of all I want to thank you, for fixing the story Mass Effect! I was one of many devastated that BioWare stabbed in the back, with ME3.

I started reading SoR on October 24th, of last year, and have just finished today! This epic journey kept me going for a little over 2 months straight. Most of the other stories I read, depending on length (and if they're intriguing enough) barely last a month at most before i finish it. It takes longer for Fanfiction because I am limited by the updates, though even high word count updates are usually done in a day for me. My only regret is that I didn't Know of this story when the debacle of ME3 happened, this would have surely eased some of that pain.

As I was reading, I did have some minor complaints here and there, though that was more on my end than as anything you wrote. Regardless of any complaint I had, your story telling was above and beyond some published works that I have previously read. Everything felt as real as it could be as if I could see the characters unfolding as if it actually happened, and that to me is trademark of a Excellent writer! The situations felt realistic enough that it was immersive, instead of just being words on my computer screen. The characters felt deep and useful throughout the story, like cogs in a well maintained grandfather clock.

The whole Rel/Dara situation, though at first I did hope for reconciliation, was as realistic and accurate as possible. The end result was far better than if you had them "make up", which would have probably ruined the story, turning it from "serious" to "mindless" crap that everything turns out happily ever after. I don't think I can express it better than that.

It has been a true pleasure to read this story, and I thank you for the time, blood, sweat and tears that you poured into this saga!

Though only one question remains, did Dara ever find out if Shepard "actually" hated her or not? From all the interactions after the Rel/Dara split we knew that Shepard herself never held anything against Dara, but Dara always came off as not knowing. She interacted with Shepard professionally, even at the "off duty" times, despite being given the important responsibilities as she was. It never felt as if that was resolved, or maybe I missed it. Its also probably the most nit picking thing ever, but it makes me curious.

If I could attach a standing ovation audio file to this review I would, but you deserve so much more!

Thank you!
SuperYuuki chapter 89 . 1/3
I have found a song that fits the entire set of characters pretty well, but fits Dempsey or Makur the best. "Heavy" by The Glorious Sons. Damn I might draw a PV with it.
SuperYuuki chapter 84 . 1/1
I drew Serana from the scene when she opens the door dressed only in Eli's shirt. You can find it pretty immediately on my art blog, yuuiwamine. tumblr. com
SECONDLY, I named my Latios in Pokemon OR "Amatus." Because I wanted it to be something with meaning that related to this.
ALSO. I have stumbled upon so many goddamned spoilers I know like all the endgame couples and I am sad but also understand that the simulator isn't a perfect matchmaker and all relationships have their flaws. It was funny though I went on Dara's wikidot page to see some fan art and I started going "THATS THE WRONG CLAN PAINT THOUGH THAT SIDONIS CLAN PAINT LOL THEY GOT IT WRONG WOW" then my eyes shifted over a few inches and saw her marriage stuff and I was like "s'kak". I knew about the rel/Dara breakup but didn't know the end game there.
I really look forward to the ardat-yakshi spectre.
SuperYuuki chapter 83 . 12/31/2014
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah had braced myself for this. Was planning to review and ask what Batarian marriage customs were like and how they mated but... *falls over and starts sobbing*. I HAD TO DEAL WITH THIS IN ME3 AND NOW IM DEALING WITH IT HERE
1,994 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »