Reviews for An Unexpected Return
Anje chapter 31 . 4/15
I absolutely loved this story. It had a good ending, but could have gone on longer - Damon & Elena together, marriage & Elena becoming a vampire. A sequel would be great.
Untrust Us chapter 31 . 1/29
"I figured your text was code for: 'Come home Damon. Mystic Falls is overrun by deranged squirrels with bazookas, and Stefan's been indicted for crimes against bunnykind; help.'"
This whole ending was incredibly satisfying. Thanks!
Untrust Us chapter 30 . 1/29
"I used him without even realising and now he's gone and I can't even say I'm sorry." Elena's nails dug into the arm of the couch, dimpling the fabric. "I am worse than Katherine," she insisted. "At least she was upfront about being a manipulative bitch."
Once you've gotten into the habit of something it's hard to get out of. Even if it wasn't meant to be hurtful, the smaller stuff adds up.

"The answer was, in a hundred years from now, nobody would. He'd be like Stefan, and his murderous past would garner sympathy from impressionable teenagers instead of disgust."
Heh. The life of a free vampire.
Untrust Us chapter 26 . 1/29
"That or we push them into the woods, set a fire, and hope the inferno takes the zombies out with the rest of the deadwood."
"Oh," Alaric blinked and looked over at the woman beside him with new insight. "You know, I think I just realised why you and Damon are friends." He said slightly impressed and a lot disturbed.

Heheh!
Untrust Us chapter 24 . 1/28
"Somehow Elena found her voice, even as her mind shied away from the naked horror right in front of her. A traitorous voice in her mind, one fast giving way to panic, kept telling her this was not possible."
The ending here was awesome. And it made so much sense from what you've previously established.
Untrust Us chapter 19 . 1/27
"You still think if you fight hard enough and for long enough, you'll win. Well guess what?" He snarled face twisted and savage in a way that had nothing to do with being a vampire. "I did too. I was a believer. And I fought. I fought for everything I ever wanted. And you know what? I have lost every single battle I ever fought."
All the feels.

"Can you please try not to wreck my apartment with your magical black rite while I'm gone? I have to go..." he hesitated feeling a shiver crawl up his spine, "and pretend to be Damon."
Hah! Poor Alaric.
Untrust Us chapter 18 . 1/27
"Are we going to have to discuss your martyr complex again?"
Heh, I truly do enjoy their banter.

"It means we're screwed." Damon snapped. "You want a plan, Elena? Well here it is. You need to kill me. The only way to beat Amelie is to stop my cold, undead heart."
That does make the whole thing a bit more difficult
Untrust Us chapter 17 . 1/27
"Emily chose to die. She chose to abandon you. You stupid little fool...you weren't enough. She chose to burn rather than live for you."
Ouch.
Untrust Us chapter 16 . 1/27
'Damon might be insane but he was at least consistently unhinged, whereas Stefan was so deceptively normal most of the time that when he did start to look shaky it always had a far greater impact on Alaric than Damon's general mad, bad, and dangerous to know mien.'

'Damon had a hand axe – he had an axe! – and he was chopping holes in the walls.'

The whole axe scene was just absolutly wobderful. Being stuck in a haunted house with that is not reassuring.
Untrust Us chapter 15 . 1/27
"There was some part of her that wanted to deny the reality of what was truly there. Yet Elena couldn't help but piece together the ill-fitting pieces of the puzzle. Something was not right about the outline and contours of the body at the top of the stairs, something not right about the sheer quantity of blood covering the woman. Even the way the light played over that endless rush of blood was wrong, giving the body a translucent quality no human woman would have."
There is something disturbingly beautiful about this. Like the clear terror of seeing someone only just escaping what could have been a devastating accident.

"You are so damn lucky I can still remember what it feels like to love you,"
Oh shiet.
Untrust Us chapter 13 . 1/27
"Dismemberment is the key to perfect abs."
Hahah :)

'She didn't think he even knew he was doing it, but the casual way he threw in little descriptions, or told her about what it felt like to feed on someone's blood - all stuff she had wondered about but had always known Stefan wouldn't talk about – was incredibly fascinating.'
I really enjoyed this bit. It really fits with their relationship.

"Jeez Elena, Emily's dead too but she still managed to screw me over a couple of months back. Fucking Bennetts, my life would be so much easier if I'd let the kids burn with Emily."
Cold but probably true.
Untrust Us chapter 12 . 1/27
"Stefan...he's all I have left. He's the only person who ever believed in me...why would I hurt him?"

"No wait...why wouldn't I hurt Stefan?"
Untrust Us chapter 11 . 1/27
'Bonnie only had eyes for the human heart sitting on her breakfast table; the still beating human heart sitting on her breakfast table.'
That does put a damper on things doesn't it?
Untrust Us chapter 9 . 1/27
"I became Katherine in guy drag."
Oh dear. Poor Damon.
Untrust Us chapter 5 . 1/27
"You know, I know Damon is dangerous and homicidal; he's been that way for as long as I've known him. I also know that he's been mellowing since before I came to town. All the same – wow – I literally had no idea just how flat out nuts he could get, which, considering he did kill me that one time, is actually kind of a surprise."
Alaric makes a good point.

"Unbelievable, Stefan, just unbelievable – it's not like my day wasn't shitty enough, now you try and disembowel me?"
Haha! This was hilarious.