Reviews for Cover Me
Witty Eagle Proud Ravenclaw chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
This is so insightful, tense and romantic all at once in different places! Subconsciously I may have modelled a Gene line in my LoM story 'Karaoke Night' on a Gene Genie quip from this story - just shows you how much I admire the writing here.
AmyLouise2 chapter 1 . 5/7/2012
You've captured the characters perfectly, and also the mood. I

always felt a sense of melancholy throughout the series, almost

intangible, but there underneath even the humour. It's all been

beautifully realised.
tervluv1 chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
I recently discovered LoM. Your story is the best I've read here. The characters ring true and you've captured the essence of each relationship. No quick fixes but a gentle reminder to live in the moment. Thank you for writing and sharing an insightful piece that deepens the characters.
EDZEL2 chapter 1 . 8/13/2011
I found this via The Railway Arms ?topic11000.0 and am very glad I did. I really enjoyed it, and agree with another reviewer there who said it reminded them just how much they miss Life on Mars. Thank heavens for fanfic and DVDs!

I'll admit to being a Sam/Gene fan (didn't start out that way!) but I also love to read Sam/Annie - I feel that its closer to the show's 'intended canon', if you like. And this story is lovely.
cccahill18 chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
Really enjoyed this piece :) You've got the characters spot on- makes me want to go back and watch the show again!
Elliewelly1 chapter 1 . 3/14/2011
Perfect.
Jazzola chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
I really like it! Thanks hugely for posting :)

Jazzola :)
Quality Filth chapter 1 . 3/4/2011
Very deep and very, very thoughtful.

Humour in all the right places, and so in character. I loved it!
Solo Lady chapter 1 . 2/20/2011
What a wonderful little snapshot of Sam adjusting to life in '73 and his growing relationship with Annie. I really enjoy how you show the way they are beginning to trust and even love each other. Sam, learning to accept his time in that world. Annie, understanding that Sam and she need to go slowly.

Of course, the story isn't all about the beginnings of new love. It's about friendship and trust, give and take, among the team. It's Gene nudging Sam toward what he believes will make Sam and Annie happy. It's about Phyllis once again reminding the boys that she'll always be a step ahead of them. It's about Nelson looking after everyone.

Really love the song choices. I'd not heard "My Back Pages" in a while and found it online. One of my old favorites. Must find the version you mentioned. I also liked the Rilke quote. I'd not read it before. Thank you for including it.
Siggy chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
Apologies for the lateness of this review - but better late than never hopefully.

You've done a brilliant job of capturing both the atmosphere of a night in the Railway Arms and the characters therein. Sam, angst in place, Annie - sweet and understanding but with a slight edge and of course Gene - swiftly alternating between Neanderthal and protective.

Good job with the music too - god there was some depressing stuff about in the 70's! But, creating the right atmosphere for Sam to get all maudlin and reflective.

Nicely done and perfectly written.
monkey-in-hell chapter 1 . 2/17/2011
Oh, I really enjoyed this. I think you got all the characters spot on and I love this bit especially -

"What? No, no." Sam looked at Gene, still hunched over the bar and his whisky glass. Same as always, yet tonight it seemed all wrong. "In fact, if you wanted to join us - "

"Join you!" For a minute Gene's expression was truly unreadable. "Erm, no. Missus'll have something waiting on the table when I get 'ome."

"Just thought I'd ask."

"Yeah."

In that moment Annie, who'd fetched her jacket, came to join them at the bar. She looked to Sam. "All right?"

Gene wasn't done with them yet. "If he starts in moaning again, petal, and making a bloody nuisance of himself, you know where your knee goes."

Annie cast a look at Sam, and for a moment he thought she was back to putting up her guard, but she just smiled, then said to the guv, "I think I have everything under control, sir."

Best LOM fic I've read.
Miss Laurentia chapter 1 . 2/15/2011
Thanks KDN! A very inspiring piece about not wanting the quick fixes in Life. Not expecting answers but allowing them room to grow properly. I like that Annie and Sam, although they both feel awkward, keep talking because they want something…anything to happen.

And all the dialogue – spot on and true to character. I could imagine all of our favourites there, with several lines raising a laugh from me as I read – especially Gene and Phyllis. I was intrigued by Gene’s reaction to Sam’s invite for a meal. Something more going on there perhaps?

Your inclusion of music - and especially that choice of music- really added to Sam’s story in particular. BUT! Bob Dylan, my musical hero…unintelligible’? TSK! Sacrilege! However, I have chosen to forgive you, KDN, because you reminded me about that great song ‘My Back Pages’ and I dashed off to put on my relevant Bob C.D. to enjoy it again.
H chapter 1 . 2/14/2011
Love it. You write Sam & Annie really well. How's about another chapter?
theHuntgoeson chapter 1 . 2/13/2011
For all that Alex has the more urgent reason to return to the present day, she settles into her 1980s life far more easily than Sam did into the 1970s, and your story illustrates very well how Sam strives to remain on the outside of his 1970s life ("Stockholm Syndrome" is an inspired way of describing it), yet finds hiself drawn in against his will, impelled towards Annie, first by Gene, unreadable and wiser than he lets on, then by the ever-surprising Nelson (the Rilke quotation is so beautiful and so right). The interjections from the hospital in 2006 increase the sense of alienation, and the memories of Charley Witham and Graham Bathurst place the story for us shortly before the end of Series 2 - just as Sam is feeling desperate.

I like the fact that you don't dwell on the original cause of Sam and Annie's quarrel - "I didn't join the force so you could wrap me up in cotton wool." says it all - but let them work it out through turning the converstion to other subjects, with the unspoken tension remaining undispelled beneath the surface. And as always in your stories, the use of 70s music to heighten and underscore the mood is masterly. In the end, the tension is not resolved because it cannot be until Sam decides to choose the 1970s over the present day, but there is a sense of resolution and acceptance.

Oh, and thanks for turning the spotlight upon Phyllis for a few priceless seconds.