Reviews for Eyes Need Not See
zrose chapter 1 . 7/16/2011
Argh! Are we cursed to only see plot-bunnies? This is too deliciously amazing to just end here. The interaction between Raoul and Erik is unusual, both seem to be old souls - very similar in this case, but different enough that their personalities could off-set each other. The blindness is an interesting aspect, but I thought the scars were a great idea, especially Erik's comment about the sideshow. (But it is Erik, so he's getting the upper hand in this conversation - no way we're going to know what Raoul thinks, sigh.)
Keyklee chapter 1 . 5/29/2011
This sounds like such a lame comment, but I really enjoy the way the fic is structured, especially at the beginning, where we get those comments from the ballet girls and for every guessing comment a bit of a backstory of what had actually happened.

I think the whole fic has an amazing amount of short little moments which seem so meaningful that it gives the whole story a feeling of impact and epicness while remaining really subtle and smooth.

I love how we get those small hints about Raoul's character, the idea of him joining the navy because he was looking for death etc, they have this really intense feeling but are also so undefined that one can use one's own imagination to make a bigger picture of Raoul for oneself. I think you really did amazing in that regard. I feel like the fic is super descriptive and detailed in one way, but also really ...interpretable in another. And that kind of makes it amazing and really a lot of fun. Though fun's maybe not the right word, because this being probably the epitome of a poor Raoul story makes me really sad too.

I really loved that we got introduced to Raoul rather late somehow. It made his appearance all the more effective and just really craved for.

I think you did wonderful at thinking of what might have happened and explaining it, or also at describing his outer appearance. You really kind of gave it an intimate feeling to learn and visualize Raoul's scars and looks. (does that sound creepy? or just dumb?)

I really really love how dignified he comes across, although really miserable inwardly.

That's a really wonderful fic, your writing is totally awesome.

00000909000000 chapter 1 . 5/8/2011
This was also very good. I loved Erik's pov, the fact that he listens to the gossip of the ballet dancers, is kind of funny. I just wish the interaction between Erik and Raoul had been longer. But this was very well done, so Thanks!
Talenyn01 chapter 1 . 3/1/2011
You should write more of this story. It would be interesting.
ryuze chapter 1 . 2/27/2011
I love your rewrite history minis... are they ever going to spread to being a chaptered story? or only be one-shots each?
tophis1 chapter 1 . 2/21/2011
PLEASE make their second interaction! I wanna see how Raoul reacts to Erik when he's blind!
Mallie chapter 1 . 2/20/2011
Aaaahh! Oh please, please, please continue this!

I came home from vacation just an hour ago and find this lovely ficlet waiting for me.

Irealize that you have other things you're working on, but if you ever do decide to do more with this I would very much like to read it!
Haru Kinome chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
Good: *deep breath* Yeeeks! Omigod you finally wrote blind!Raoul! Squee! \(o)/ *embarrassed* Ah, gomen ne, I had to get that out of my system. Moving on...

I'm completely enchanted by the way this fic is written, and I'm especially impressed by the way the back story regarding Raoul's condition is presented. I love the way you interwove it with the ballet girls' conversation; it reminds the reader that the main story is in the present while steadily revealing the circumstances preceding Raoul's patronage of the opera house. Not only that, but the girls' comments are all relevant to the next part of the plot that's revealed, so the fic's progression is logical and fluent, and the shift back to present, when Erik moves again, is smooth and natural, without any trace of awkward clunkiness. Oh, and you did such an amazing job at building up the tension and excitement about Raoul's injuries. The detail layering is simply brilliant; there's just enough to tease and hint around, but not too much that it's overwhelming and too blunt, and the impact of the final disclosure is so much stronger because of it. And, of course, that strength carries through; the revelation of Raoul's blindness certainly doesn't disappoint after all of the hype. I love how you described it in terms of actions rather than just images: how he hasn't yet lost the habit of moving his eyes despite their sightlessness, the reminder that the scarring came from the doctors 'digging' the shrapnel debris from his face, the brief, yet powerful, comparison to Erik's own situation regarding deformity. Additionally, I like how Raoul isn't completely beaten down by his newfound blindness; he's a little bitter, but not whiny, and I'm glad you gave his character that kind of strength.

Oh, there are little things in this fic that delighted me, too :) I adore the imagery in the line "Time had dulled the feel of freshly torn skin, the smell of burnt flesh, and the sight of blood tinted skies", and I like the passing references to book!canon, like Raoul's enlistment in the navy and the mention of his aunt (I assume you're referring to the one whose dead husband was also a naval officer).

So thank you so so so much for writing this fic _ Finally getting to 'meet' blind!Raoul made my entire week wonderful, even if his appearance was brief.

Misc: I feel really dumb for asking this, but who's LeFavre? I don't remember that name from the book. Is that the name they give the previous manager in the musical, or is it from something else? Also, unimportant, but I swear I read somewhere in the book that even boxes are on one side and odds are on the other. I can't find the quote (and I'll look for it later), but I /know/ that I read something about that because I remember thinking that it was a cool detail and maybe I should highlight it, but I never did D: But anyway, congratulations, in that respect, your fic is book!canon _
CourtneyRBowman chapter 1 . 2/17/2011
Wow you've made me actually feel bad for raoul...
EnderGrievesForMe14 chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
Wonderful story. I haven't seen blind!Raoul before now. I like what you did with it, though. Thanks for the new story!
Silverwind Fara chapter 1 . 2/15/2011
Wow.. that was a great ficlet and I really like the idea of a blind and disfigured Raoul.

Thanks for posting and I hope to read more from you soon (I really hope you continue on this too but I know it's a ficlet)

Take care
so2460done chapter 1 . 2/15/2011
Lovely :) Raoul isn't feeble, which makes me really happy XD

yes, you're torturing all of us! XD. These plot bunnies are way too good to be left alone!

I love the rewrite conception, there really are great assumptions to be made :)

I think this one's concept has the most promise. GAH, I can just see the bonding interactions and the snarky admonishments!
re-harakhti chapter 1 . 2/15/2011
Hurray for blind!Raoul story, it's interesting to see Erik's compassion and fascination towards someone else. Especially as he was very dismissive and fed up by everyone focusing on the vicomte (and not on him!). Although this works quite neatly as a oneshot, it does make one wonder how their friendship would progress (if at all) as Erik would never view Raoul as a rival for Christine.

I keep thinking of a scene where Erik could be playing music for Raoul, as Raoul's ears would be more sensitive (after time) and likely to pick up on any flaws in the music, or even better Erik playing music anywway and Raoul pointing out all the flaws in it just because he can.

If you are taking requests/caring for plotbunnies, might I suggest prisoner!Raoul (after skipping the army or driving a carriage when under the influence? [lol]) and prison gang leader!Erik. Oh I feel the angsty tension already.
The Crazed Artist chapter 1 . 2/14/2011
I...I have no words.

Wow, just uber super duper WOW.

I was barely breathing during the first half, and when it hit the description of Raoul's injury...I think I actually /stopped/ breathing until the end.

Ugh, the fact you are not going to continue this makes me cry a little inside (and dare I say, slightly tempted to write a continuing version, even though it would probably never do the plotbunny justice); and I, sadly, want to hate you for the fact you're teasing us so! (But I promise, it's only a want, no actual hate ;P)

I like this Raoul a lot, mostly on the basis it's different then how most people portray him in regular fics. This slightly AU plot seems to deepen him more and make him a more like-able character than how the movie shows him. BRAVO!

And again, that description of the scars and injury...I know I am a horrible person for doing so, but I couldn't help but to release a "unf" at the image it created. (Why must you tap into my scar "fetish"! Curse you! DX)

Fantastic writing as always, and such a beautiful idea. It's a shame it's not going to blossom more under your artistic touch. D:

May the plotbunnies always attack you! XD

-The Crazed Artist

PS. OH MY! The fact you noted my birthday at the end of such a lovely fic made my eyes water! Thank you so much!
Emilx311 chapter 1 . 2/14/2011
Loved it, I hope that someday you will expand this story into something more. I love the idea of a blind Raoul, it has so many possibilities. I always say this, but amazing work as always.