Reviews for Shadows of Memory
Snips95 chapter 3 . 2/24/2011
Holy cow! :) great story. I'm so excited for the next chapter. I absolutely love it-I've got no idea where it's going, but great job! :) keep it up! Happy writing! :)
acacia59601 chapter 3 . 2/24/2011
Excellent chapter, as always! I can't wait for the next installment!
N. Forest chapter 3 . 2/24/2011
Once I saw Steward's heir and Aragorn saw the White Tree, something clicked. This isn't some alternate world or dimension. It's the future and Aragorn has forgotten everything. Faramir looks and sounds enough like his father that Aragorn could mistake them, he'd be the right age too. Although that still doesn't explain why they'd never heard of the healer he requested earlier.

But Faramir/Denethor calling him Ada, sire, the people's reactions and of course the tree all make me think that it must be after he is king. I can just imagine how shocked Aragorn must have been when the woman came up to him and gave him the flowers for something he knows nothing about.
Darkover chapter 3 . 2/24/2011
Dear Linda: This story gets better with each chapter! Poor Aragorn, he is so confused, and feels trapped. Poor Faramir, who is desperately trying to help the king, but doesn't know what the problem is. You have utilized your wonderfully descriptive style of writing to good purpose. The passage in which a fleeing Aragorn encounters the tree in the Court of the Fountain is especially well-written. "The flowers dropped from his hands, their petals scattering in the breeze," is an excellent image. You also did your usual fine job of keeping Aragorn and Faramir in-character. I loved Faramir's concern and kindness toward the injured king, and his insistence that Aragorn's dignity be respected. I love the h/c of this story! It was a nice touch to have Faramir address Aragorn as "Adar," too. It was the sort of thing Faramir, as you have always portrayed him, would do under the circumstances, although unfortunately poor Aragorn is more confused than ever. Now he has awakened to find himself, he believes, in a honey trap. He should remember Arwen, so maybe in the next chapter, he will begin to regain his memory, and things will once more make sense to him. I eagerly await the next chapter. As always, thank you for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
Animekitty47 chapter 3 . 2/24/2011
I loved this chapter! Even the cliffie ending. XP Excellent job and update soon please!
JuliaAurelia chapter 3 . 2/24/2011
It's Arwen! I can't wait to see how Thorongil processes this! Maybe his beloved can bring him back to his senses.
N. Forest chapter 2 . 2/23/2011
I nearly missed this alert in my inbox, but I'm so glad I didn't. What a fascinating tale. I wonder if really this is just some elaborate scheme put on by Denethor, or perhaps the world has changed and Aragorn is the only thing that remains the same. Parallel universes are theories of development mean that really anything could happen.

What a wonderful idea, and told beautifully well. Now I have something to ponder all day.
Animekitty47 chapter 2 . 2/20/2011
Hm, I wonder who's going to be the first to realize their's a problem with Aragorn's memory? If he sneaks out before Arwen comes to check on him, which I'm betting will, I think Faramir might figure it out first...*scratches head* Not sure though.
Silivren Tinu chapter 2 . 2/20/2011
Poor Aragorn! This whole situation must seem like a very strange nightmare to him. You've really got to pity Faramir, too, though - he definitely has his hands full caring for his confused king and friend!
ziggy3 chapter 2 . 2/20/2011
Great idea and good fun seeing Aragorn work things out. Looking forward to the rest.
Darkover chapter 2 . 2/19/2011
Dear Linda: This story continues to be great. I love it! You have done your usual fine jobs on characterization, dialogue, and descriptive style of writing. The plot for this story is also particularly good-I am so glad that this story is no longer languishing on your hard drive! Poor Aragorn/Thorongil's confusion continues, and his desperation increases. I feel for him. From a practical perspective, however, I question the wisdom of giving a sedative to a man with a serious head injury. I am not a doctor or nurse, but isn't that dangerous? Also, shouldn't he be encouraged to drink more fluids? And they are planning to feed the man at some point, aren't they? Of course, given his current state, poor Aragorn/Thorongil might think anything "Denethor" tries to give him is poisoned. I also feel for "Denethor." Faramir loves Aragorn as a son loves his father, and it must be hard seeing his beloved king in pain. He of course has no idea what Aragorn is thinking, and at this point undoubtedly believes that the king is just disoriented and easily confused. I love the way you ended this chapter, as I suspect Aragorn is going to make a break for it soon. Even given the fact that Aragorn believes himself to be in the past, from what I understand, people who are badly concussed sometimes suffer from a bit of unreasoning paranoia, which could complicate things. I can hardly wait for the next chapter. Thanks so much for writing and posting this! Sincerely, Darkover
Wtiger5 chapter 2 . 2/19/2011
You know maybe at some point Thorongil should call Denethor by name. That would be an interesting reaction but then again maybe that's too easy.

Please update soon Linda, the suspense is killing me.
acacia59601 chapter 2 . 2/19/2011
Oh, not good! Update soon!
JuliaAurelia chapter 2 . 2/19/2011
Oh poor Aragorn! He's so confused and wary of everything, as "Thorongil" would be in that situation. We'll see if Fara has drunk enough poppy to fall asleep and for Thorongil to escape. I can imagine how a trip through the city would freak him out if he got recognized and hailed as King. I hope he gets his memory back soon.
Ragnelle chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
Difficult plot to pull off - keeping Aragorn's confused POV and at the same time try to keep us in the dark as to where (and when) the story takes place. I think you manage to keep a good balance, but it is hard to say for certain. I have seen the story before (probably Teitho), so I know too much to say for certain whether you give too much or too little information, but I think you give a good balance.

The disparity between what Aragorn knows, and what the readers know, makes for some nice irony and I like the way you describe Aragorn's confusion.

The only think I found a bit distracting, is your use of epithets - if that is the right word ('the Steward's heir', 'Ecthelion's son', 'the heir of Isildur', 'Elrond's daughter' etc). It is not that I think you should not use them at all, nor that you use them that much, but it feels like it is too much to me. I went back to count, and found that you use them far less than I would have guessed, but the feeling of too much is still there. It drew me out of the story, something I always take as a sign that something is wrong. Or, rather, not as good as it could have been.
51 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »