Reviews for The Drunk in the Bar
bountypeaches chapter 1 . 8/28/2014
"What the hell does he know about love?"

That is exactly what I walked away from S6 feeling. For all Booth's talk about what love means, Brennan is the one that showed it!

As Booth said love means standing by someone at the cost of your life- the guy in the couple in the cave stayed by his girlfriend even if it came at the cost of his dreams. But Booth couldn't do that for Brennan. Brennan was the one that risked her happiness for him without keeping score. Real love- agape means charity. It's unconditional. Love isn't about finding your own happiness- its about giving happiness to the person you love.

He was so consumed in his anger against her that he forgot about her happiness. But real love is acceptance. Your love and desire for someone's happiness doesn't change because they don't love you. He felt hurt by her, he ran away. She was hurt by him, yet she stayed.

I think S6 made Booth's character immature- and I will always be a little leery of trusting what love means to him after that.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/29/2014
Beautiful.
Bones2014 chapter 1 . 6/21/2014
I agree with your AN. I felt so bad for Bolth in this epi. It's like he was grabbing for a life line. This whole story line was difficult to watch. I do enjoy your insights into Booth's thoughts. I felt bad for Brennan as well, but Booth had to adjust as well. Just a sad, unnecessary story line:-(
luvthembones chapter 1 . 5/26/2013
You are spot on about Booth and Hannah. I think she gets a bit of a bum deal from the fans. The actress and writers were smart to make her likeable. It was never about her, she just got caught up in the storm. She was his lifeline against his feelings for Brennan. You caught that struggle perfectly. If only the show was able to portray more of that in the Hannah episodes, the season would be remembered as a great one. All this pain, fear and running of Booth's juxtaposed with Brennan showing what real love is. How to love someone, even though they don't appear to love you. Her love is so selfless, so freely given, so unconsciously given. She gives and asks nothing in return. He hurts her, and she is still there. She won't go away. I think that is when he realizes just how really amazing she actually is. How she teaches him what true love, beyond the biology, really is. Is it any wonder this show, this couple inspires so much devotion? I think season 9 is about finally addressing Booth's deep insecurities that still linger. Especially about him not feeling that he deserves or is worthy of her love. He taught her her worth, now let her teach him his. AT least that is my hope for next year.
tantemary chapter 1 . 6/2/2012
This is just exceptional. So very, very well done!
everydaydreams chapter 1 . 9/14/2011
Just what I explanation of Booth's activities in this season.
Limone chapter 1 . 5/6/2011
Making my way through my "To read" bookmarks and found this gem.

You capture Booth beautifully. I love your writing style, the effect you create with repetitions and the sad but insightful conclusion.
philosophos chapter 1 . 5/4/2011
This is just plain beautiful. I love both your writing style, and the way you capture Booth's thought process / inner monologue. This was the second time I read this gem, and it made me all teary-eyed once again. Thank you!
wercomingup chapter 1 . 4/5/2011
Amanda, your style of writing is so beautiful. Balanced, heartbreaking, beautiful. I love your work.
marple chapter 1 . 2/28/2011
This was well written and it feels true as it could be what Booth has felt and thought through this season.

He is shutting everything and everyone out and continues on like a bull toward his goal "marriage". Doesnt matter much who with.

No matter how hurt he has been, that is never never an excuse to hurt others around you. He is supposed to be a grown man not a teenager. I still have a small hope that we will see him wake up from his shut down and realise what his actualy doing.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for sharing your story.
and she knew love chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
I loved this. I loved how it went through Booth's perspective from his return to Afghanistan to his breakup with Hannah. We've had far too little of Booth's thought-process this season, and that's one of the reasons it's so easy to misunderstand/hate him. Hannah's description was spot-on: she was easy, and that was what he needed at the time. Booth's repetition of "Bones can't change. She doesn't know how" was so like him. Put up a buffer to protect himself from what hurt him before. Every time he said it, I felt so bad for them both.

The bar scene was perfect. All those thoughts bouncing around in his head, and then Bones showing up. You captured his bitterness so well, in a way that made sense. When I first watched that scene in the episode and he issued that ultimatum, I thought, "How incredibly callous of him! What a jerk!" But reading your story puts it all into perspective; of course, even when Booth has always been love's greatest advocate, there comes a time when all of it is too much even for him. I just loved how you could take such simple sentences and make them so powerful. Especially, the last line, which was just so good.

Thank you for this. It was perfect.
StarSteller chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
This is completely awesome
firefly729 chapter 1 . 2/17/2011
I first became a fan of your writing with the 40 songs challenge you're currently doing, but I have to say that this fic has now been added to my favorites list. I'm an optimist too and in no way think badly of Booth this season mainly because I've seen exactly what you portrayed in writing - why he hasn't gone to the lab. Why he's hardened himself to Brennan's "awkward observations." Why he threw himself ass over tea kettle into his relationship with Hannah.

I loved how you ended it, with him realizing that Brennan knows more about the truth of love than he assumed she did. But this is my favorite line - "He's torn down the banner, "What's ours is ours", and given that to Hannah and yet, she does not hesitate. She remains true to him, to them." - I think that was an important point to be made from that episode that a lot of people may have missed. You truly get this season, you get Booth and Brennan, and I love you for that (in an 'atta girl sort of way, of course :P).
ElizabethDQMW chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
I absolutely adore this. Spot-on characterization, and I love how you layered all the emotional baggage that was influencing his reactions. He's such a complex secretive character.

My favorite part:

"Love had a grip on my plums, man. It has an effect on your judgment.

Love is an idiot. She's known all along. Wasn't he listening? (You just weren't listening.) Love is an idiot."

So incredibly sad and profound. It really is such an amazing storyline.
daffodil7511 chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
I love your stories, and this is no exception. It made me cry at times, it made me sad. But it rang true. The end...I agree with it. He's been teaching her about love, but I don't know that he truly understands it. Ah, Booth. Here's hoping that the future allows him into love's dizzying and confusing depths, and he can find his way to Brennan.