Reviews for For your own Good
showtunediva chapter 1 . 4/10
You did a fabulous job with capturing Mr Mayor's emotions! Great story! :)
Nightshade9802 chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
that was sooo sad...

Cat:i agree

Me:(jumps slightly when he appeared behind me)I don't even have the angryness to be mad at you for sneaking up on me...again.

Cat:now that is bad!hurry quick!someone we need to get her a none depressing story!

Me:stop being in the text and go back into my head!.

Cat:Good!back to your old self already!

Me:Whatever...Good story!.
TrudiRose chapter 1 . 3/26/2011
I like this a lot, and agree with you on the Mayor. He clearly MEANT well; I think the song "How to Raise a Child" makes that clear. JoJo was constantly getting in trouble at school, and his parents were worried about it and didn't know what to do. The brochure for the academy promised that it would solve all their problems, so it gave them hope, even though they probably had some misgivings.

There's one line in your piece that I disagree with, though: "I made the choice, it's my fault that he might get injured at this school, or worse! It's my fault if he get's killed; it's my fault if he dies and my fault alone"

I don't believe Mr. Mayor or his wife EVER realized that JoJo would be in actual DANGER if he went to this school. They just wanted him to learn discipline and self-control and become a productive citizen. If they'd realized that sending JoJo to the academy might mean they were sending their darling child to his DEATH, I don't believe they would have done it! (Especially Mrs. Mayor)
wouldsomebody chapter 1 . 2/21/2011
I agree completely with the premise of this story. Mr Mayor is /not/ a jerk; sending his beloved son to military school he was simply a desparate attempt to help Jojo, was simply his way of trying to do his best as a father. Plus, he was torn between love for his son and the need to maintain a good image as the mayor. This story portrays those feelings very well. I love the "speck on a speck on a speck" metaphor you used- it fits very well, for obvious reasons.

My only criticisms are that you change tenses incorrectly in the middle of the story. Pick one tense and stick with it. Also, the word "tainted" isn't the best choice to describe the hints of lemon and cinnamon in his tea- "tainted" gives the negative connotation of words like "polluted," "soiled" or "poisoned."