Reviews for Lotus
The fleur-de-lis is also depicted as an iris, the national flower of France. Although I may be wrong, I'm not from France.
Why did Taiwan called Vietnam 'Nam'? Thank you for giving us a closer look at these flowers with their meanings including her history with those fine vocabulary. Here's something I know about the lotus, they don't grow like a normal flower but I suppose almost everyone already knows that. Because it can grow from the wet mud, it still remained beautiful thus said to represent purity (or something like that, I can't remember) in Buddhist symbolism. (Or it could had something to do with reincarnations) ... Her name does mean lotus.

Cảm Ơn
Osiria Rose chapter 1 . 1/11
If I could favorite this story more than once, I would. There's just something about Vietnam that makes me like her, I don't know what. Also I'm writing this at two something in the morning, so I can't say anything for its coherency, unfortunately XD - Siri
booklover1209 chapter 1 . 7/26/2014
I'm Vietnamese and after reading this I just felt bad. Loved this story though.
Churro-Dragon chapter 1 . 7/30/2013
Whoaaaoooaaah this is the most beautiful thing I've read today! I feel like Vietnam is a really hard character to approach in Hetalia but you did it really well. . :D The flowers tie it in beautifully and she comes across as the strong, resilient, and contemplative lady that she is. I just want to say thank you. :D
you.originated.from.me chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
Hello fellow troper :D ! This story is really well done and meaningful on many levels. There's another belief in Vietnam for the lotus flower: it grows among mud and filth yet it can retain purity and bloom beautifully. (Mom is native Vietnamese, so she told me this a lot.) It adds more dimension to your story as how I view it, Vietnam is also trying to push through everything and becoming her own self.
Ukulala chapter 1 . 6/12/2012
O-oh my goodness. Oh my goodness, this was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever read, an absolutely brilliant clash and meld of history and art, and since I'm of the very firm opinion that history is, infact, the greatest drama of all time, and you just brought all that to life, I... Oh, man, I can't... I don't even know what I'm trying to say. Oh, Vietnam... You've made me feel so, freaking, proud to be able to say my blood is of the Mekong delta, so proud even though Vietnam was mislead by Russia and China and America had such good intentions but ultimately failed to establish them in Vietnam and oh good grieg I'm rambling now...

I better shut up.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
silent.riots chapter 1 . 12/17/2011
This was so touching. America's part was heartbreaking. But I can see America sending Vietnam a bouquet of roses as a peace offering :D
Kei chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
Hello! This was a beautiful story, my friend recommended this fic to me because I have been trying to find some good Vietnam fics. The interaction between Thailand and Vietnam was adorable.
A Wanderer chapter 1 . 9/16/2011
Beautiful development! I thought that the symbolism was carried out very well throughout the story.

Just a slight nitpick about the "nice and cool and yet sunny" greenhouse of Vietnam's though - Greenhouses are hot! Incoming light and heat warms the air inside the building, while the glass roof and walls trap that warmed air inside indefinitely. And the high humidity generally makes it feel even warmer!
Prince SuperSharky chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
There are some quotations that are in the wrong place, and it was a bit distracting while I was reading.

Other than that, it was beautiful! I loved the flower symbolism, and how that tied in very well with each of the characters. I especially liked the part with France and the lily, but couldn't help but find America's part a little underdeveloped.

But I hope you did well on the paper anyway x)
rainmcfae chapter 1 . 7/24/2011
Very lovely! I love the format and the way you tell Viet's story by using the flowers. And I love your characterization of Vietnam as well. This is a very, very beautiful work. :)
xxkoffeexx chapter 1 . 6/24/2011
Thanks so much for writing and posting this. I got to learn a little bit more of Vietnam's fascinating history, and even learned something about flowers as well! This was a great read.
ruru-la chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
Absolutely beautiful. I can't believe this is only a one-shot. :( More pls? -is bricked- :P

Anyway, the entire story is great! Okay, more than 'great', this is one of the nicest Vietnam fics that I've ever read. I love the setting being a garden and the symbolism behind the flowers. I also love how you managed to smoothly connect the flowers with the countries that Vietnam had dealt with.

Don't worry, I like the part about America as well as that about France. ;D They are angsty but with a lot of depth and meaning in them. Great job with that!
Eejit the 3rd chapter 1 . 5/16/2011