Reviews for Do You Now or Did You Ever?
RGDS chapter 1 . 3/27/2013
You better write a zack and maddie story after this.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
I loved the ZackxMaya here because they are one of my favorite TSOD ships, but you wrote ZackxMaddie in here too, which I totally was not expecting, and I love how nobody came off as too much of an extreme douchebag. You write very well.
fakedeviantID chapter 1 . 7/7/2011
When I saw this story, I was awestruck. I've haven't seen this kind of quality in a while. Just a god damn good job.
Les Miserabby chapter 1 . 6/12/2011
Umm, can I just say that while this story had potential, you controlled it too much. Instead of letting it go it's own way, you took it where you wanted it to go. Some of the sentences were odd out of place, the sex scene seemed weird because it barely involved sex, Maddie should have been there more becasue the conflict was because of her, yet she was only mentioned. And what the hell was going on with Cody and Bailey? Woody was the most natural to the story, and was therefor the higlight.
Wyntirsno chapter 1 . 5/20/2011
Wow I didn't get some story updates or something.

I liked this story, Zack with a conscience. Except for the being drunk part, he actually handled the breakup very well with Maya.

I have to agree with Maya and the way she feels about Maddie. lol Poor Zack, hopefully someday he will be able to forget her.
thebadwitch13 chapter 1 . 3/27/2011
Oh- I love this!

How honest Zack forces himself to be, how Maya is so full of "pride" to let herself beg for him back.

And I love how you write for him to be contemplating that one thought- that "She isn't coming"

How deeply Maddie has gotten into into his veins- how sad he is that he loves Maya- but not they way she wants him too.

And how Zack is completely aware of hopless his love for Maddie is.

But he was to do the Right Thing- and break up with Maya.

Your writing is wonderful.

Also, love the episode reference with how Zack didn't want to " step out of one canoe until he was safely in another"- I remember that line!

Hugs!
KayDee-DesignerExtraordinare chapter 1 . 3/12/2011
Eh, Maya bothers me occasionally. I'd much rather have Zack be with London or Maddie. This was a pretty good story. Holla!

xXKodyXx
MAVG chapter 1 . 2/27/2011
I honestly loved it.

I loved the characters without their strict Disney script and was just very impressed by it.
S.K. Millz chapter 1 . 2/21/2011
I’m going to be brutal, because I know you want me to be. :P

Didn't like it.

You've got a great concept - this idea that Zack somehow can't ever experience true love because his one true love is beyond his reach - but it's so heavily buried.

The sex scene was well written in parts, although it often felt like you were averting your eyes. The second Zack's inside of her we're being shot off into space to ogle other, less important, less interesting things. I mean - a line about laws being broken in New York... in the middle of a sex scene? Another about the various perks of attending high school on a cruise ship? All the while I'm wondering what happened to Zack and Maya. What happened to the cabin and the bedsheets and the strewnabout clothes?

Another issue: the language you used to describe the sex. Take the first paragraph for example. First sentence is ugh. (What the hell's “feverish energy”?) Second sentence, however, is perfect: “She tasted like peppermint, and he was pretty sure he tasted like alcohol.” It’s got sensory details, that’s why it pops. I can taste that peppermint and I can taste that alcohol, but I definitely can’t figure out what “feverish energy” is, other than an abstraction. Some intellectual idea that has no place in a sex scene – or in any scene, really. You walked this fine line continually throughout the first half, coming down here and there on either side. On the one hand you’ve got some great details like the “glass wall” between them; on the other you’ve got awkward, almost comedic-sounding phrases like “his erected sex” and “gripping his hard-on and inserting it into her.” I can’t figure out the tone there. Is that supposed to be romantic or is it supposed to be smutty?

Things picked up once the argument broke out, but honestly the banter between Zack and Maya felt unfocused and somewhat forced. I wasn’t particularly interested in hearing her perspective at all. In fact, as soon as you brought Maddie back into the fold I wanted the scene to break and for Zack to go call her or something. Maya’s not the least bit sympathetic here, so I didn’t feel sorry for her, though I sensed that I was supposed to.

What’s going on with Cody and Bailey? Why can’t he find her? There seems to be a developing subplot there, but it just sort of dribbles away unresolved.

The scene with Woody was great. Definitely the high-point. Funny and full of character. Natural, easy, elegant writing.

Zack’s reconciliation with Maya was well done, too. Up to a point. For one it really fleshed out that weird concept I mentioned earlier. But then you bludgeon us over the head with it, and in the last few paragraphs suddenly shift perspectives when everything up to that point had been exclusively from Zack’s. But by then the scene had dragged on too long anyway. Even Maya noticed: “You can stop rambling now. I get it.”

You had a great idea, but I think you wrote the wrong story. The tension’s not between Zack and Maya, it’s between Zack and Maddie. But Maddie, unfortunately, never appears.

Of course it’s still a quality piece of writing, and you on a bad day’s still better than virtually everything else on the site, so...

Chocodiles.
Hailfax-McGee chapter 1 . 2/21/2011
Holy fuck, this just about sums up the teenage boy. Nice work.

I liked this, the beginning felt like your writing, but a little different. Throughout the rest of it I was getting hints of S.K. Millz (which is never a bad thing). I like the banter between Zack and Woody and Zack and Cody and I liked the meaningful conversation between Zack and Maya.

"She tasted like peppermint, and he was pretty sure he tasted like alcohol, but he didn't think she minded." I love this line.

I don't have much to say about this, which is actually a lot if you think about it. You executed everything perfectly. I like that it captured a realistic side of romance, not "fluff" as you say.

I wouldn't expect anything less.
tiger002 chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
An interesting look at Maya's reaction leaning about Maddie. I'm curious what happened with Cody and Bailey here though, but I guess that will be a mystery. Nice job showing Zack's thoughts here, and what I see as a completly crazy, yet sensible solution. I really can't see his love for Maddie going anywhere, and yet, it's not fair to Maya to be tied to someone still waiting for someone from the past. As always, something different from you, great story!
deathlyhallows123 chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
I've never been a big Zack/Maddie fan, always preferred Zack/London or Zack/Maya.

Still, I really enjoyed this story, and I like how you're taking an overused theme and turning it around. This is definitely nice, how Zack breaks it off instead of Maya.
owlhero chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
Wow. Zack being so conflicted at one point and being so gentlemenly the next. At least Maya was more understanding than most people are in that situation. Alcohol makes say and do the stupidest things. zack is just us. Unable to get over his heart. At least he got out before the relationship went deeper and caussed more hurt feelings
Waldojeffers chapter 1 . 2/18/2011
Well, that was different indeed. Looks like different is starting to be a word to describe many of your stories these days. ;) But i must say I liked it. Way to ruin a perfect prom night and first time though.

Looks like Zack's feelings for Maddie are deeper than I expected. However I must say Ellie's explanation makes sense too: maybe Zack wasn't ready for this long term relationship with Maya after all. Or just not over Maddie? If he's still pining for Maddie he should try to get over her: pining for someone who can never be yours shouldn't stop your life. If he's not ready, than time will make it alright for him.

Again agreeing with Ellie I have to say Maya took this very maturely even though she didn't really understand why breaking up so he could pine for things that can never be. I guess many girls would've had another reactions. Shows that Maya is a really mature girl and actually a good match for Zack. Alas that can't be...

Good story! You did a great job describing Zack's feelings and although his thoughts seem weird and understandable you brought it over to us readers very well: I completely believed Zack here no matter how stupid he is. Nice and sweet (kind of) story, and (here we go again!) definitely different! :)
Elianna22 chapter 1 . 2/17/2011
Wow, that must be one of the worst first times ever (not including encounters that involve violence) and yet I love how it tears apart the fairytale myth of the perfect prom night.

The drunken theme at the start strongly foreshadowed that things weren't going to go well, and fit with how I could imagine Zack and Woody celebrating the night. Even though Maya gets her heart stomped on, she reacts most admirably, truly showing that she has pride, self-esteem, and a sense of perspective. She and Zack have only been together for four months after all, not long enough to establish a lengthy commitment.

As for Zack's feelings for Maddie, I think they are open to interpretation. On the one hand, he's probably not ready for the kind of relationship Maya would now expect and therefore he subconsciously sabotaged taking the next step. And on the other hand, part of him really was sentimentally clinging to the idea that Maddie would magically show up on his prom night to make his dreams come true.

Overall, great job breaking lovey-dovey stereotypes and showing us a different, equally realistic prom night! :)