Reviews for Persona: Defiance of Fate
Guess chapter 17 . 4/19
This Is Great Loved the Ending and Reveal Of His Past But I Feel As If He's Still Not Connecting With
The Other Members Aigis Koromaru and Ken That Still needs Work
paradoxjr chapter 17 . 4/18
Boom plot twist
Love the build up, and the reveal was cool
anieljesu.gonzalez chapter 17 . 4/18
Yup That Explains why he Feels Uneasy Around The Group Considering His Tragic Past. Since the Kirijou Group Was The Party Involving Saya Kidnapping. That's a Lot For Someone to Hear Let Alone Endure That Feeling of Doom Minato Has Is Going to Come to fruition soon. Live Long and Prosper
Vivi239 chapter 17 . 4/18
...I did NOT see that coming, and it certainly does explain a LOT about Minato's personality and attitude. I can understand how one would become like that after such a thing, I would too honestly...
Xamusel - Gamma 11 chapter 17 . 4/18
Solid, just out of curiosity, was Saya supposed to reference BlazBlue? The two even share the same surname!

...dang it. I can't believe that THIS was my first review of your works.

Not sure if I can say what else comes to mind... other than, well, you should probably get a balance discovered by after finishing the next chapter. Personally, I think we deserve more answers than you've given us, but it's the author's prerogative you've been given that says whether or not you'll give those answers at our demand.

Live Long And Prosper.
A Non-Y Mouse chapter 16 . 3/24
Popped by to add that I actually kind of like how you've been teasing out Kyousuke/Minato's backstory bit-by-bit. It might be a tad frustrating for the readers to not know what exactly happened in the "Incident", but I feel that it'll make for a better pay-off once the whole story (both in regards to the Incident and the main story itself) is done.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how canonical you consider the events of Persona Q to be, but I sort of secretly hope that Aigis' C:\ROOT\LANGUAGE\WORDPLAY\PUNS\PUNS_FOR_EVERY_OCCASION\ is a thing that she has buried in her programming somewhere.

Waiting for the perfect chance to ruin an otherwise dramatic or cool one-liner/moment.
pyrojack25 chapter 1 . 3/23
Not bad. A little long but no complaints.
Perpetual Dreaming chapter 16 . 3/22
This is easily one of my favorite on-going stories. Loving how you've written the characters especially Minato and Mitsuru. I'm not so sure about all the crossover elements to be honest but so far it has been great. I imagine that I'll be more concerned for the sequel(?) but we'll see how that goes once/if you get that far. _
A Non-Y Mouse chapter 16 . 2/26
Glad to see that this is updating again. Equally glad to hear that you're (kind of) breaking out of your writer's block.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Shinji's (and to a lesser extent, Ken's) addition to the team and how you'll potentially change things in the later Shadow operations.
anieljesu.gonzalez chapter 16 . 2/22
Too Many Secrets. But I Have a Feeling Sooner or later The Situation Will demand That He Reveal His Identity Willingly Or By Force. Plus Can Anyone Else Sense The feels Between Minato & Mitsuru In The Command Room
The1Herton chapter 16 . 2/22
I hope you don't mind if I am brutally honest here, because I have many good things to say, but also some serious criticisms that I honestly don't know if you will be able to address.
First, the good:

I enjoy your prose style immensely. It was the number one thing that drew me into this story back when you posted that first chapter all those years ago (man, has it really been that long? Time truly does fly...). I enjoy your portrayals of all of the SEES members, and I love Minato's surface-level personality (his charm, his wit, his savvy, etc...). I like the idea of Naoto being his sister (although I wish he was honest with her, cause come on, dude not has te one sister, right?) and I like his history with the Irregulars, however little of it we have been given...which brings me to the bad part of my review:

I am honestly growing tired of this story. I know that sounds contrary after the praise I heaped on it above, so I will elaborate thusly: TOO. MANY. SECRETS. I understand you want to keep an air of mystery in play with regard to Minato's past, hence why I said above that I doubt you will be able to address this particular criticism, given that it would no doubt require you to completely change your plans for the story. But to be quite honest, I feel a bit like Minato in this most recent chapter: bored and a tad frustrated.

Mystery is all well and good, but there comes a time where the reader needs to be let in on the joke, as it were, or else it feels forced. The jig needs to be up, and soon, or else I think I will be cutting my losses and running off to other stories that don't keep me mostly in the dark. (Geez, never thought I would type that sentence about this story; but it's true, nonetheless.) I'm sure you plan to reveal all by the end of the story, which would be fine if the story was 100k or even 200k words, but the fact is that after reading and re-reading over 300k words (probably a solid couple of weeks of my life, cumulatively, at this point), I was hoping for a bit more payoff than what we have do far. Instead, I feel farther away from those answers I crave than ever.

Make no mistake, pacing is not the issue (I quite like the rate you are going with regards to the events of the characters' lives during the game). But Minato is, at this point, still every bit as much of a mystery to me as he was at the beginning, because every answer we get seems like a half-measure-a mere morsel meant to keep the wolves from the door until your big reveal (reveals?). It seems every answer causes bigger and bigger questions to appear. To be quite frank, I'm finding it increasingly hard to care about our protagonist (a massive problem, to be sure) because I simply don't know enough about who he is. There is an argument to be made, of course, that he is defined more by his actions in the present than by his past, and that is of course true as well, but I feel that the limit has just about been reached. If you want me to care about this guy's struggles, then I really need to know exactly what makes him tick. How, exactly, has he been moulded by his prior experiences? How has he changed from who he was, and am I able to observe those differences chapter-by-chapter? I don't know who he was, so I have no answer for that those questions.

Perhaps I simply need yet another refresher (can you believe I've re-read this in it's entirety the last 4 times you've updated? Craziness!), but I don't feel like I'm in the loop enough to count as an active participant in the story. I can't identify with Minato's struggles because I don't know what they are (beyond the obvious mental issues he has, but I ask again: how did he acquire these issues? It seems like he doesn't have just baggage, more like luggage. :P). If something doesn't give, soon, then I think it will be time to cut and run, for my part, before I invest any more boat-loads of time into these characters with seemingly no answers to these burning curiosities in sight.

Bear in mind, that even in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "...And The Final Problem", Holmes had Moriarty's origins figured out just two pages in (though to be fair, all hardback editions are spaced differently from each other, so perhaps your stats on this analogy will vary from mine). This doesn't stop that story from being one of his best, though. The key was in how that information enriched the backstory/investment in what would come later. The law of conservation of detail can only take you so far, after all, before it beings to feel over zealous in it's liberal application. Sometimes it's better to have an infodump early on in the interest of building maximum character investment.

*whew!* In closing, sorry if you feel I have shat on your proverbial parade, I just felt like I needed to say this piece, or else get no peace.

Either way, it's been fun ride.
Jex - The Insane One chapter 15 . 1/3
Well done Minato, I'm a sucker for kickass tactics that take a bit out of the hero. All the more badass for coming out of it. Nice to see the character interaction and will be interested in your portrayal of Strega. I always did have a hard time swallowing the "World end" cult and such but none the less. Thanks for all the great work.
mistgun4 chapter 15 . 1/2
..."son of a bitch" XD best line ever lol
thegreatdar chapter 15 . 1/2
Solid chapter. Happy new years!
Valkyrie Elysia chapter 14 . 1/1
Awesome chapter once again.

Happy New Year!