Reviews for Drops of Jupiter
anti-viper chapter 72 . 10/24/2012
Never trust your girlfriend who is a queen to NOT trick you into a marriage by using far great knowledge of foreign nations and policy. At least that's what I got out of the chapter :P .

To begin, it's really weird that this is over. Obviously, epilogue (and I can read the later stuff now!), but still.

Secondly, I apologize for the lack of reviews. Busy as all hell. So, before I get onto this specific reviews, minor ones from the past few chapters: I was kind of glad/sad as to who ended up dying. Still sad, but at least it turned out better with Spirit Sense. The tension in that scene was very well done as well. Then, the scene in one of the recent chapters where Matthew cast Meggido and the Empyror didn't know what to do with himself... I cracked up. Brilliant comedy. Finally, everything about Sveta/Matt sharing souls was awesome. The explanation of it was incredibly rewarding; I've never seen it put into words like that before. And the writing brought it out very well, and I thought that might be a little difficult to write well, so great job!

Thirdly: Great chapter, and a more than satisfying conclusion. I had completely forgotten about the Emperor's abilities, considering he hasn't used them in a bit, so when they did pop up it was an (un)pleasant surprise. That moment had me very much at the end of my seat, since while I don't think you would kill Sveta or Matt off, WHAT IF YOU HAD?! My only complaint was that they didn't give him quite the smacking he deserved, though since that leads to a fantastic scene, I don't mind at all. I'm actually glad you stayed away from a "everyone fights the last boss" moment. I don't think it would have worked, given the smaller scope of the combat within this fic so far. Though I kinda was waiting for those Horns to extend, and for him to grow wings, and what not.

The scene with Matt/Sveta was adorable, as it should be. After all that hell, SOME fluff was definitely needed. Have I ever mentioned how much I love your Sveta? Perfect mix of assertion and hesitancy.

But man, the last scene was what got me. I did NOT think that was going to happen, at all, and when I realized who it was and what was about to happen... it was so, so perfect. I entertained the idea of Halo ending up there awhile back, but had completely forgotten about it, and... I'm trying so hard to gush without using spoilers, because it made my day in all the best ways. "You should have planned to succeed." Chills.

I know you have major qualms with the story, and I know some sections, upon repeated viewing, will have very awkward transitions and pacings, but in all honesty? A ton of great character moments, interesting concepts, and wonderful writing. I couldn't ask for more, and I enjoyed the entire thing very much so, and am glad you wrote it. And am even happier you are going to be writing more! Give yourself a large pat on the back, because you earned it. Making it through a huge piece of writing is incredibly difficult, and you rose to the task, and made a lot of readers happy in the process. Once again, great final chapter, and a very enjoyable story. Thank you for all the writing and effort!
Tyrant Ratatosk chapter 72 . 10/20/2012
'WARNING. WARNING. THE REVIEW BELOW CONTAINS SPOILERS."
Matthew wears the Lord Sun's ring
Sveta wears the Lady Moon's ring
...Is it a strange coincidence that I did the same in the game to symbolize the exact same thing?
Maybe it's just me (who knows, maybe others have done the same)
Otherwise, this was an excellent story. 4.5 stars out of 5.
Waypoint chapter 72 . 10/18/2012
I just love how you write Sveta, especially during the flirting moments. She hits that perfect balance of seductive, mischievous, and awkward.

The one thing that bugs me is that Mt. Aleph doesn't really exist anymore to have that cool teaser. It got sinkholed at the end of TLA. You can see what's left with a glitch in Dark Dawn (there are pictures on the wikia), and it's just an open volcano chimney jutting out of the ground. Which...actually might make the dramatic death sequence even cooler if it happened there.
Knight-Dawn chapter 72 . 10/18/2012
Well, congrats Jolly!
I really liked your last few chapters, sad parts and all. And that ending. Priceless. (No matter which part of it I mean, but I think you'll know what I'm talking about...)
I meant to write you a long review about all the stuff I liked - heck, this still might turn out long despite the fact that it's 4 in the morning and I've got things to do tomorrow. XD
I agree with what you say. It had it's ups and downs, better moments and worse moments - you could've written several parts differently, but what the heck... It worked. I really loved the whole story. Yes, even the parts where Sveta was sick for a long time and... certain sad things that you said not to spoil happened. God, that caught me by surprise. Wow.
And the ending is sappy without being overly sweet. Nice job handling that scene. :)
Um... I dunno what else to say. It's gonna be strange reading the epilogue and knowing that this part of the story is done... though, the sequel the ending will tease may help with that.
Good job, man. That's really all I have to say.

Best,
Knight-Dawn
Lumino chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
All right, here we go. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Good:

Characterization of the MAIN cast. By main cast, I mean people the story really focused on. Matthew, Sveta, Tyrell, Isaac, Felix, Karis and maybe Jenna. This was done very well. Some parts of it seemed a little off, but the whole 'Emotion fluxing' that caused the Isaac/Mia/Jenna problems was pretty hard to do. I've already complimented on your writing and story before, so I see no need to reiterate here.

Bad:

There is one thing you did in this chapter that really bothered me. A Trump Card is not a Trump Card if you play it twice. Using their Soul Sharing to bypass the 'Indoctrination' was clever, but the problem was you'd already used it, in the previous chapter in fact. It loses a lot of it's value and just looks like a 'Cure-All'. Just because RPGs boil down to a routine strategy, doesn't mean we want our stories to as well. Ideally, the big climax should contain new and, if possible, unique moves that we haven't seen yet, or at least in a new way. Sveta will the Sol Blade was interesting, but not really enough.

Ugly:

The aborted arcs, god we could make this twice as long with them. You already know this, so I doubt I really have to go into it, but the amount of side stories going on at once reached the point where it stopped adding to the fic, and indeed started to detract from it. The problem coming from Golden Sun is the huge cast of characters. If you let it, you can easily have 10-15 named characters with their own unique personalities, drives and abilities. How then, do you adequately portray them without seeming like you are pushing some of the lesser ones into the background. There are a few ways, but it really depends on what you like. I tend to limit the people in my stories, to prevent just that. If I need a different personality, or a foil for a character, that is what NPCs are for. Quick, disposable, and for the most part the readers won't care much if they vanish into the background once their job is done. (Not to toot my own horn, but look at Alastor from 'Don't Cry'. He's around for the entire story, but he really only takes center stage to be the foil for Matthew and Sveta when Tyrell and Karis aren't around.)

ANYWAY, even with all of the not-so-nice things I had to say, it was still a good read. I'm looking forward to being able to read the first chapter of your sequel now, since I wouldn't let myself read it until I'd finished this one.

Cheers!

-Lumino
Mr. E Box chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
That was me, by the way. forgot to log in...
\/
Guest chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
thank you. For the best fic ever.

ALEX.
godofmadness43 chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
whoa, had a feeling that he would appear, still, i wondered when he'd show his hand, but it was nice seeing Matthew and Sveta as a sort of married couple
Adam kirky chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
Omg I loved this chapter.
Good ending, sad DoJ is over soon though.
Matthew and Sveta's practice marriage was clever, weird and funny!
Can't wait for epilogue! :-D
I 3 DoJ
CreationsGoneAwry chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
Well, I'm not entirely sure what to put here. Congratulations? I bet you're glad that's over with?

In any case, YAY JOLLY! :D I'm glad that you stuck it out unlike many other authors (eh...*raises hand guiltily*). I have to say I enjoyed this story very, VERY much, and I'm looking forward to the epilogue and the new stories you have planned!

And if they aren't too spoilerific, I'll check out your Zelda fics soon! (I haven't finished SS yet, so. But if they're about other games, I'll definitely check them out ASAP!)

Congrats, Jolly :) I hope you get a buncha positive reviews from this chapter.
Guest chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
Sharing your souls: its good for more than proving that you love each other and transferring special abilities.
Beastform Sveta wielding the Sol Blade is probably one of the most frighteningly awesome things ever.
""Wait," said the Empyror, "you can run out of psynergy?!"" Oh god that has got to be one of the most hilarious ways to lose ever.
Halo is amusing, kinda sad we didn't get to see more of him.
Awwwwwwww! Yeah, that kinda sums the final Sveta/Matthew scene up.
Well hello there Alex, how it goin? Still trying to become all powerful? Yes, well alrighty then, wouldn't have it any other way.
And gravity manipulation: a very nifty trick, I assume that would be a Light psynergy since emc2 and gravity is proportional to mass and all that?
Happy to hear theres an epiloug upcoming because I'll be sad to see the end of this.
Hackshin chapter 72 . 10/17/2012
Screaming and excited flailing. That is all.
Random Person chapter 71 . 10/11/2012
You know, I realized something a little while back, but I forgot to mention it. Check it out:
So far, Jenna has lost an SPOILER, as well as her parents.
Garet lost his wife, and then his SPOILER
Karst is alive, but can't use her SPOILER
Tyrell,... well, I think you know what he lost.
Chalis was just flat-out SPOILER and I'm pretty sure the Empyror is about to get screwed over in some way. Seeing the trend, here? If you don't, take note of what all these people have in common.

Now, then, lets's take a look at the other heroes.
Felix... is not permanently damaged, and his parents... well he hasn't even spoken to them in 30 years, so...
Isaac... Jenna's, and Garet situation aside, hasn't really lost anything.
Ivan... has lost absolutely nothing (personally)
Karis... got a bunch of books. She actually gained something.
Matthew... Tyrell's situation aside, he lost nothing, but gained a girlfriend.
Rief... also gets a girlfriend.
Maddie... loses someone she was better off without.
And Sveta, despite her numerous near-death experiences and attempts at suicide, has only gained a closer relationship with Matthew (The whole "wind" thing doesn't count, since it's sure to go away). That's some serious irony right there.
Oh, and then there's Mia.

So, then, JollyGreenDragon.
Explain to me what you have against the planet Mars.
P.S. If I'm missing anything, then I'm sorry, but even then, you can't ignore the evidence!
Random Person chapter 71 . 10/10/2012
Wait... so this was a BAD story?
O_O
I have so much to learn!
Random Person chapter 70 . 10/10/2012
It's almost like Sveta is considering the feelings of everyone except Matthew and herself. The being the one to take down the generator part really was a wise option (It really was) but expecting Matthew to sit by and just watch her get blown up? No, I think she's expecting him to try and rescue her, and that goodbye thing was her putting on a show. They wouldn't be able to share souls if it was even possible that Matthew could even consider leaving her in danger.
P.S. I missed you!
Your stories always make my day :)
556 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »