Reviews for No Hurry At All
k.hall-amazon chapter 19 . 5/16
Just reread No Hurry at All. Want to thank you again for the many enjoyable stories you’ve written. Ignore the idiots who complain. I only read stories I like. If I am not having fun reading a story I quit reading it. I’m on my third or fourth reading of your stories. So once again thanks.
Tomas chapter 6 . 5/13
Grrr...what is with fanfiction writers not knowing the difference between past and passed, and when to use the correct one!
falco5 chapter 19 . 5/15
A somewhat strange story that mixes super Harry with explicit "let the adults do it, doesn't anyone in this country understand they're schoolchildren?" plotting. The fact that Harry does all the horcrux hunting offscreen undercuts that explicit note, however – although the destruction of Voldemort "at his hands" but "via Snape's knees" is a brilliantly designed finale. Aside from the obvious (H/Hr) the story hits several of my preferred headcanon deviations: there is a strong N/L relationship (surprisingly unusual) which even includes a great "moving past your crush on a man you wound up in 2nd place with" scene between her and Harry, and Harry's post-war career is in medicine (absurdly rare).

The Granger parents get a nicely ambiguous characterization. They are definitely not perfect pure-hearted "so that's where Hermione came from!" souls. The father is initially combative and skeptical before moving into an almost rogue-ish masculine comradeship with Harry. He's sort of like a combination James/Sirius, an unexpected but useful role in the story. The mother is sort of materialistic and catty. The engagement party they throw to rub the neighbors' faces in Hermione's good fortune – almost entirely for their own benefit, and not at all for the couple – is one of the highlights in the story.

Ron is perhaps the most interesting character here. There is a clear sense in which he is the character that is most let down by JKR, *in terms of JKR's chosen story*, in the entire series. Unlike Dumbledore, who functions more as a plot device than a real character (which is why I think bashing him is rather tedious, even if it's pretty funny as in this story), Ron is a central presence in a huge share of on-screen canon action. There are multiple occasions where Ron's behavior pushes back against the momentum of the Trio's other two, but in canon these are each met with almost perfect "back together as if nothing happened" resolutions. This story's Ron puts forward his casual magical chauvinism, inferiority complex, and general insensitivity as open problems for his character. It does a great job of letting Ron make variable progress (sometimes forward, sometimes back) on each of these flaws, and then goes further by letting that progress affect the status of his various relationships. This is done for the most part with impressive subtlety and minimal bashing. It feels quite realistic.

His final arc is harder to understand. The ending clarifies that the story understands Ron to have been gravely in the wrong with respect to Hermione's assault. But I'm not convinced he's been treated at all fairly here. Would he have gotten the same backlash if the assault had happened (inventing an example) two days later when Hermione was scheduled to patrol with Ernie MacMillan? Was he expected (implicitly, by everyone) to accompany Hermione on each of her prefect patrols? Accompany her every time she went anywhere in the castle? I think this could serve as a great reminder that the judgement of Harry et al is not perfect, even if the story doesn't quite follow through on that interpretation.

More broadly, I think the ending feels somewhat rushed. There was a lot of build up to the "Harry sneaking into Hogwarts as Hermione's owl" plot line, only for them to leave school in the space of a chapter or so. Spending more time at Hogwarts would have allowed the story to arrive at a stronger anti-Ron position more naturally by having him regress to his less appealing instincts in the absence of Harry (who is obviously the decisive figure in this story for his transformation, such as it is). There are other slightly odd bits, like the Granger parents deciding they want to join Harry and Hermione's medical project … but for some reason not as dentists. Uganda needs dentists as well as doctors!

(Incidentally, I observe the repeated defensive A/N's at the start of each chapter. I hope that the author understands that reviews pointing out disagreements with plotting or characterization or theme etc can be meant in constructive fashion. Understanding what your readers see as weaknesses in prior work is an essential tool in writing better future stories. Of course, abuse of the "u suck!" variety is unhelpful.)
falco5 chapter 14 . 5/14
009-3/4 I mean. The little fraction glyph seems to have been eaten
falco5 chapter 13 . 5/14
009 is a pretty great line to be honest
falco5 chapter 8 . 5/13
I'm not sure I've ever seen the Twins' "complete each other's sentences" routine used in a serious setting like this before. Really great passage.
Lady Rosalune chapter 19 . 5/13
Good story. Well written. And the most believable OP Harry scenario I’ve read. This actually fits squarely in cannon and follows all the rules as laid out by Rowling. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’d also like to thank you for your author’s note on flames. I think it was very relevant and an important reminder to those who’ve never made themselves vulnerable by posting their own work.
mcrmyrangerbabe chapter 11 . 5/10
a jambo then aye
GGTTH
bookwerm98 chapter 11 . 5/4
Holding on to Ron knowing the danger he brings makes ZERO sense at this point imo
Ricknn chapter 16 . 4/22
gotta say i really wish everyone would read and accept the authors note on chapter 16 which basically says dont leave nasty reviews just to be nasty and that it just causes serious morale problems especially from newer authors and causes many stories to not be finished and many more authors to say well i guess i wont be writing fanfiction anymore just stop reading if you dont like a story
ProfessorPedant chapter 19 . 4/19
It is always a bit of a toss-up between this and Harry Crow as to which is my favorite of yours. I pretty much like them all.

Thanks for writing adn sharing.
Markjmcmurray chapter 19 . 4/11
I don't care what any "Sad, Unhappy people" with nothing better to do than Criticize your story, when they probably can't or haven't written good ones themselves, have to say.
This was a good, well written story. Bravo!
I hope to see more from you!
bobel1990 chapter 19 . 4/11
Realy good Read 10/10 Ending was Satisfactory and i liked it
a LOT of FF/Novels Botch the Ending so hard its insane becase thats 1 of the Harder part of a Good story a good ending.

Thanks
CarolsSister chapter 16 . 4/3
Guessing that Won-Won and Lav-Lav will not be receiving an invitation?
CarolsSister chapter 14 . 4/3
I notice that Harry didn't mention the fact that Hermione won't be there for the entire year. Guess it is best not to strain Ron's capacity to keep his mouth shut when (not if) he loses his temper and screams whatever passes through his brain at that moment.
4,479 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »