Reviews for Motivation
Wonderbee31 chapter 2 . 2/21/2011
Very interesting part there, and really liking how Naruto is coming along, even as Anko, in her own way, cuts through a lot of Kaka's bull, while getting some of her own pointed out, and will be looking forward to what happens as the teams start to really take hold.
Das Leech chapter 2 . 2/21/2011
My favorite moment of this story was actually a very small, simple thing that still proves you put thought into the characters. Hinata looking at a clock - and getting confused if she were to look through it - is actually a neat detail.

Overall the story progresses nicely. I've never seen the team of nine-angle done yet so I'm curious what you really have planned.

DL
billy13579 chapter 2 . 2/21/2011
Quite an interesting, and very original, fic. It seems like you've done the brave thing and stayed away from recycling early cannon, good stuff!
Mizuno Tenshi2 chapter 2 . 2/20/2011
Yay! The interaction at the end was quite good, and I think it would be interesting if even with the interactions between the three now, they weren't SURE to be on the same team after the testing but retained the bonds. Any which way is fine, I think.
Judah chapter 2 . 2/20/2011
I found this chapter boring. Too much talking, and you are covering too many characters. I think the story is supposed to be about the Shino/Shika/Naruto team and friendship, so you should focus on that instead of trying to develop the characters of the entire rookie nine, the ramen shop, and all the Jounin sensei.
firelordeg chapter 2 . 2/20/2011
thank you for sharing this fantastic chapter i love this story please continue a.s.a.l.a
FTFCHRIS chapter 1 . 2/20/2011
Would love to see a sequel to Process of Elimination but i really enjoyed this new story. I miss the good ole Ranma days but Naruto is good too. Hope to see more.
yojorocks chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
I was very pleasantly surprised by how this turned out, as I was initially skeptical about Kakashi beating himself up in the beginning setting the theme to 'agnst'. However, you managed to turn this around compelling, and kept most of the characters in canon characterization.

The way you explained the bloodlines requiring blood was very interesting; I haven't ever seen this idea being put forth before, and I'm really looking forward to what else you can come up with. Keep up the good work.
Fortheupdategods chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
I like where the story is going so far; very complex for a Naruto story but I believe it emphasizes the flaws of Sakura and Sausuke. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like the pair all that much but bashing always inevitably ruins a story by either making the protagonist ridiculously strong to humiliate and destroy the antagonist or make the antagonist have more flaws than originally in cannon. Please update soon! I really enjoy Later as well and hope you update that one in the near future (week or so). Here's hoping that you find the time to update!
firelordeg chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
thank you for sharing this fantastic chapter i love this story so far please continue a.s.a.l.a (as soon as life allows)
iamnuff chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
Sturgeon's Law

90% of fanfiction is shit,

the other 10% is worth dying for

this fic is up to your usual standard. Well done Durandall, you win again
the kwp chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
Interesting start, and promising in many ways. Not only a good take on Shikamaru, who I think is actually difficult to capture right, but also a good take on Kakashi, who is equally difficult to portray - though more, I think, because of the strange contradictions in the source material.

I liked the setup, and I enjoyed the cautious slow approach. I also enjoyed Naruto dealing with the emotional consequences. Good start, and I look forward to seeing more of this when you get the time.
rianifitria chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
This is actually interesting.

Especially the way Naruto, Shikamaru and Shino was brought together.

I'd like to see some jounin be their mentor, preferably someone like Asume, good tactic and still be good fighter. Kurenai probably is going to be much more emotional... and I'm not sure how a chauvinist like Shikamaru can handle working under her, and how her genjutsu talent would be wasted on 3 genins that probably will never utilise genjutsu. Kakashi is probably out because Naruto hated him with passion and stated so, forcing him on the three of them will be adding fuel to fire.

And I don't see why Asuma was berating Ibiki, what he did was nothing much.

And Sasuke and Sakura bashing? Really?

Anyway, looking forward to the next chap.
Quizer chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
This looks like it'll be another excellent story. I've not yet seen one that gave Shikamaru his fair shake. Naruto on a team with him *and* Shino, another character people like to portray as analytical and quiet, should make for an interesting story.

The changes leading to the chaos of the team assignments are interesting and well-plotted and described for the most part, but the initial triggers for the AU confused me. Is Kakashi inadvertently tossing his book at Anko and going home with her directly responsible for Iruka not surviving his encounter with Mizuki, or are those two separate changes that are completely unrelated?

If the former, how did it lead to Iruka's death? If the latter, why is it such a big deal that it's the first thing we see in the story? Kakashi dropping in 'late' was pretty funny, but will there be long-term repercussions? So far, I'm not getting the impression that Kakashi will be shown in a very flattering light in this story or be of all that much importance, seeing as how training Sasuke rules him out as a jonin-sensei for 'Team possible'. Still, you've got a track record of paying plenty of attention to even supporting characters, so maybe this small change will lead to something greater. I really want to know whether Kakashi being sidetracked by Anko led to the encounter with Mizuki going differently somehow.

The initial interaction between the teammates is great, too. They waste no time in pointing out the utility value of Naruto's kage bunshin and finding applications for them. It should be interesting to see how the as-of-yet unofficial team actually gets the go-ahead, and who will be their jonin-sensei.

Hope you'll update soon!

Quizer
GeshronTyler chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
Great, a new story from Durandall! Oh no, a new story from Durandall! Is basically my reaction. _ Because, I don't think there's a story you've written that I've actually disliked, but your juggling quite a few already. My reaction to the first chapter is positive, though Sasuke's reaction seems overly judgemental. After all, all the students know is that Iruka was killed, Mizuki was the traitor, Naruto killed Mizuki. They of course knew that Naruto had failed the final exam, but none of the other background to the incident, so where does Sasuke pull the "Naruto got Iruka killed" from? Sakura is of course simply eager to follow her infatuation object's lead.

The "Team Possible" (If this is continued for any greater length of plot, it _must_ become the Team's tagline. P That, or "Team Can-do". The Abu-Shika-Maki trio is _such_ a scary idea, Madara and Orochimaru should commit suicide right now. P

The Naruto setting in it's canon format suffers from it's "School-Slapstick-Hijinks/Grimdark Ninja World" fusion, because too much "grimdark" pushes it out of the target audience spectrum IMO. You have flashes of sheer genius brilliance from Naruto, followed the next moment by wall-banging "comedic idiocy" sequences, the but of which is usually Naruto. Taking the concept of Naruto-verse at face value, it really can't be anything but Grimdark, with a large side of "Fridge-horror", interspersed perhaps with some "grim humor". It looks like you'll be focusing on the "grimdark/fridgehorror" aspects, with Ibiki's classroom scene. I approve. Nothing against humor, but I really get fed up quickly with the kind of repetitive humor segments from the Naruto canon.

I like how you handled the scene at the restaurant, with Shikamaru's probing of the owner's reluctance to admit Naruto. The subsequent appearance of ANBU and Inoichi to "interview" the man causes me to wonder if you interpret this as a normal case of events, or if last night's incident has prompted a crackdown. In canon, before Gaiden, I don't think we've ever seen a "civilian" from Konoha react to Naruto (aside from the Stadium ), and in Naruto's flashbacks to the past, I at least, have gotten the impression that the "extent" of the village's treatment of Naruto was ostracizing, which is of course, terrible enough, and not overt verbal or physical abuse.

What bothered me about Kakashi and Jiraiyas' characters, is that Kishimoto had them basically ignore Naruto and the whole connection to Minato and Kushina. Granted, I could believe that there are real security concerns, and important duties behind that, the Ninja world being what it is (or supposed to be P). If Kakashi, or especially Jiraiya were to pay special attention to Naruto, it would be noticed, and enemies of Konoha might take action. That said, there are ways around that sort of thing for incredible ninja geniuses, that could have done Naruto a lot of good. I do hope you'll be giving Kakashi a chance to mend fences, even if only from a distance, as it were. I'll also say, I don't have anything against any of the rest of the "usual suspects (genin-12)", and hope that they'll be put into an environment that will allow them to develop their potential. Sasuke is the problem child to be sure, as driven and impatient as he is. Strongly drawn to the Dark Side is he.

Thanks, read you next time.
1,062 | « Prev Page 1 .. 60 67 68 69 70 71 Next »