Reviews for Sentience
Top Hats and Other Items chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
There's no way in hell I'll ever be able to write something like this. This is brilliant :D

ShadowNala chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
God, the intelligence, the introspect, the general breathlessness this leaves you with is outstanding. If I could write to a tenth of the degree you do, I would be a very happy woman.

Please never stop writing.
naioka1992 chapter 1 . 7/2/2011
I loved this. Your description of Gotham's 'organs' was brilliant, and Arkham as the liver, the cleaner of the blood, made me laugh. I think that liver is failing.

Your description of the Joker as a free radical is very good - "unstable, destructive and very, very reactive" just sums him right up, doesn't it? I like how you seemed to struggle to define Batman - maybe it's because he's dependent on the villains to bring him into existence? - but your conclusion that he's a bacteriophage, or even more interestingly, another free radical, is brilliant.

I especially love that this story is intelligent. Not just complicated or convoluted, but making references to biology and chemistry that shows you understand the basics of cells and atoms. It adds weight to your analysis, and your explanations in simple terms are greatly appreciated.

One of my favourite lines is "he'd prefer to bat, rather than crow, but he doesn't know how" - very clever. This is exactly something I can imagine the Joker trying or wanting to do, purely for the fun of doing an impossible thing, and for messing with Batman's head.

I love your little exploration into Batman and the Joker's relationship with each other, how each can destroy the other. It's interesting how you say that's important, and I suppose you could relate that to physics, and how ever force has a counter-force. Inside Gotham, you have Batman and the Joker.
Abandon-Morality chapter 1 . 7/1/2011
I don't know you, and perhaps it is because I don't know you, but I fell proud of you.
E.A.V chapter 1 . 5/9/2011

I particularly like this analogy, "Some think that he's the other half of a covalent bond. If you snap a covalent bond in just the wrong way, you end up with two free radicals, equally destructive."
Cyranothe2nd chapter 1 . 3/3/2011
Really beautiful prose, here. Love the clockwork metaphor!
ASF13957 chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
Fantastic story you've got here. You actually managed to pull off an extremely extended metaphor! Huzzah. It's interesting and well-written. Bravo.