Reviews for Holography2: Wedding Present or Starling's Lament
Laura 2468 chapter 22 . 1/14
Hi
I thought that this story was very well written and like the other stories builds a world around some of what we see in star trek of the Vulcans. You haven't made them human, in these books they think differently which I think makes it better sci fi than even a lot of trek. In sci fi there is a temptation to make all characters ' humans in make up' e.g. their actions and motivations seem human like so the audience can follow and empathise with the characters but here they are alien. I especially liked in this story how t'pau was thinking in monologue when Amanda was at her house, that was beautifully written. I also think it was very realistic how Amanda struggled with being chattel and how that affected her and Sarek. x
KendrixTermina chapter 22 . 10/14/2016
Having finished this (as morbid curiosity is not something I can resist) I cannot help but see some contrivance in it and the interpretations its based on, some shooting for a low hanging fruit and deliberate constructing to somehow make it cceptable, but I must recognize and applaud the honest and somewhat sucessful attempt at a though-provoking, alien quality and the stark, ugly, consequential following of the implications, even sucessful attempts at poetic motifs.

It was, at the very least, I worthwhile experience.
Corylea chapter 7 . 5/13/2016
I'm loving the way you're really bringing home to the reader that Vulcan is an ALIEN culture, with customs that are not just different from ours but also difficult for us to understand.

That said, I'm having trouble with some of the assumptions you're making and some of the conclusions you're drawing.

Pon farr is a time that most Vulcans prefer not to think about or talk about. Once it's behind them, they prefer to pretend that it doesn't exist. I have trouble believing that it's normal or common or conventional for Vulcan men to control their women absolutely OUTSIDE of pon farr. Amanda never gets to say no to sex DURING PON FARR. But in ordinary life? It's not life-threatening then.

And what about T'Pau? She's a Vulcan woman, but she rules.

I'm loving how much you're making Vulcans be truly alien, but I'm not sure I can finish this story; it feels as if you're taking things too far just for shock value, and that's not something I want to stick around for.
Pat F chapter 1 . 1/19/2016
guest - honestly, I think you have a selective memory of Star Trek. Was T'Pring setting Spock - her husband - up to kill Kirk not pretty harsh? Isn't the Challenge in itself harsh? If Spock won the Challenge - setting aside his human elements or the shock that brought him out of his testosterone rush and let him speak in Pon Far - he would have "raped" the unwilling T'Pring. In fact, a woman's consent in Pon Far appears to be not an option. T'Pring in turn, did her best to have Spock killed. Sure, that is harsh.

But I didn't invent Vulcan biology or culture. I extrapolated the biology as a reason - the only acceptable reason for a Vulcan to be not in complete control - as to why Sarek would be so intransigent to Spock for 18 years. He wasn't just being abysmally harsh to his son, but had a reason to limit their association.

I respect that you have a more "human" view of Sarek. You don't have to write a story that postulates what might happen if Spock had taken the unwilling T'Pring to bed, or if T'Pring had succeeded in her plan to have Spock kill his best friend. But to pretend that this isn't part of the Vulcan culture is just closing your eyes to canon for a scenario that wasn't supported in the show.

Star Trek is not romance, but science fiction. SF has long been used to explore cultural issues and questions. I tried to find some logical canonical reason why Sarek would keep an eighteen year "silence" with his son, rather than do the logical thing, and reconcile. The only thing that trumps logic, for a Vulcan, is biology. Hence why I gave Sarek a truly daunting biological reason to avoid contention with Spock, because it had resulted in disaster before. And a reason why Amanda would both understand and forgive Sarek for keeping that 18 year broach and not push him to reconcile. You don't have to like the reason, but given the biology of Vulcans, it is consistent with logic, biology and canon. Pretending Vulcans have control over their biology is not canonical.

I also am amazed that you don't see any contradiction in totally ignoring Spock tossing Christine against a bulkhead in Amok Time, or various other actions (taking over the ship) but can call Sarek abusive in Holo 2. If Vulcans are in control then they are thus "abusive" - including Spock. But canon says they are not. When they are in a biologically fueled testosterone rush, and aren't in control, that's not a choice to be abusive. This is why Vulcans are alien. I didn't invent this. You don't have to like it. I didn't like it either much, when I first saw how Sarek treated Amanda in JTB. Hence why I wrote Holo - to give a valid biological reason why Sarek would behave as he did to Spock and to Amanda.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/19/2016
I'm revisiting this "universe", having first read your stories several years ago, and your concept of Vulcan/Vulcans in general and Sarek in particular strikes me the same way now as it did then. Your Sarek is an asshole, and your Vulcans aren't so much alien as revolting.

This story in particular I dislike just as much now as I did then. As a study of how some people can justify spousal abuse and how some people can "accept" (for lack of a better word) it, it's interesting to some extent. As part of the Star Trek universe, it's almost grotesque. And when the spouses are characters I like and enjoy, it's absolutely appalling.

I realise that comes across as pretty offensive, if not outright insulting, which is not my intention. It's merely my opinion, and as it happens it's pretty blunt. Each to their own.
woodfinem chapter 20 . 1/9/2016
s Z'sZ's NM
Guest chapter 20 . 11/16/2015
I think this is my favorite chapter.
tanseynz chapter 22 . 11/11/2015
Wow! All I can say is I'm so glad I'm not married to a Vulcan such as Sarek. Amanda has clearly mastered thinking beyond the obvious, and her love for Sarek is such that she can give up her very self for him, with no guarantee of happiness or even hope. Yet for her it was worth it.
An uncomfortable read, but engrossing all the same.
guest chapter 22 . 8/30/2015
To the prior poster, perhaps you missed the episode Amok Time, where Spock knocked Christine into a bulkhead, and kept changing the Enterprise's course to Vulcan. Where hebegged his Captain to lock him away, because he had no control or memory of himself when caught up in spikes of the fever.

Vulcan are not human. In the grip of a testosterone rush, or the Vulcan equivalent, they aren't in control.

One reason why Star Trek was so popular, was that it wasn't just a shoot em up action story, but dealt with controversial sociological issues, inducing race and gender, and the prejudice and inequalities that result.

Amanda is a human woman, living with a Vulcan subject to a biological mating fever that Sarek can't entirely control. Even Spock apparently had more control than a pure Vulcan, given he spoke in the fever, which Vulcan's can't. That being said, it is ridiculous to assign human value systems to a Vulcan in any form of Pon Far. A Vulcan, who kills another male in combat over a woman is not guilty of murder by Vulcan laws. And if Spock had taken the unwilling T'Pring (unwilling enough to challenge!) after he won the combat, as presumably a full Vulcan would have, he wouldn't have been guilty of the human crime of rape. Consent in Pon Far is not an issue for Vulcans. That's obvious from the series.

But that raises intriguing questions for a writer, wanting to know both how a human woman would deal with that situation.

And in respect to Journey to Babel, what possibly could make a renowned diplomat not speak to his son, as a son, for 18 years. It's not logical not to seek a resolution. The only thing that tops logic in Vulcans is biology. So I gave Sarek a variant of Pon Far, triggered by heredity and stress and his own uncontrolled emotions after Spock left for Fleet, that made him reluctant to confront his son and risk triggering it again. It also gives a reason for Amanda to accept such a rift for that long, given as much as she loves her son, she loves Sarek too much to risk his death, or her life or freedom again to that syndrome.

Giving Sarek a biological reason for the rift in Hilo 2 ties together Vulcan biology, the Vulcan culture and "chattels" as depicted in Journey to Babel and Amok Time (at least as much as the censors then would allow) in a package that respects canon. And gives all the characters an out and a reason they haven't resolved their issues eighteen years later. That's why I wrote the series.

But it's not romance, at least not entirely, but science fiction. I'm sorry you didn't like the story. But Sarek can no more be considered a rapist than any Vulcan caught up in Vulcans' hormonal syndromes and to consider him such is disregarding that he is Vulcan, and applying human ethnocentric values to a completely different biology and culture.
Guest chapter 22 . 8/30/2015
This story, well written as it is,makes me want to vomit. Sareks behavoiur is worse than rape and absolutely unforgivable. I will not read the other parts and really can't understand what makes people come up with such things for fun.
Renewed Fan chapter 8 . 5/23/2015
This and the previous chapter are very powerful, emotionally charged.
pandorablueskies chapter 22 . 2/25/2015
An excellent, unusual, and compelling story. You did an excellent job portraying an abusive relationship's development and consequences. Thanks for a very good read!
Owlkin chapter 22 . 9/27/2014
Ooh that was a hard one to read, but very engaging.
Madeleine chapter 22 . 5/22/2014
Pat, out of all your stories this one is the hardest for me to read. It is riveting and it keeps me emotionally connected, but it is a very difficult firestorm they both have to go through. But it is hard to read because your writing and character development are so perfect. These character developments run throughout the story of things Sarek Amanda and T'Pau learn and it is what makes the story work. They all really go through a trial by fire and it makes them stronger.
Guest chapter 22 . 5/21/2014
You probably have the most creative stories I have ever read. You manage to create a whole new universe with its own setting and characters. Needless to say, I love this story. It's just so well written and the story is captivating and I find myself always craving more. And your constant literary references are much appreciated. It adds a level of sophistication to your writing that most stories lack. I love this story and all of your others. For the good of my sanity, never stop writing.
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »