Reviews for A Summer in York
Writtenaspr chapter 20 . 1/21
True, true and passable writing, favourited. Like my fragrant red Amarone, served to guests.
This was true storytelling, food, poems, history, tears, tenderness , swearing and quiet, happy love.
Thank you. I'm off to read more .
You did very, very, very well.
Guest chapter 20 . 4/7/2014
A complex and unique story I thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you very much!
Roz1013 chapter 20 . 8/30/2013
This was really really good. I loved it!
Aisha04 chapter 20 . 4/29/2013
I enjoyed it
muneca chapter 18 . 2/5/2013
With all the talk of Richard III i just had to reread this fic so love it, despite mt fustration with Hermione not realizing that she loves Severus, LOL. Thank you for a beautiful fic.
javthrowr chapter 20 . 9/2/2012
Very interesting story. The yiddish was a pleasant surprise :-)
susannajulia chapter 15 . 9/28/2011
I love the image this story paints in my mind, the feeling of warmth and security despite all the weight and wounds we carry with us. I like the way it is realistic and still romantic. I first didn't like Snape without magic, but you have written him as so strong a person that losing his magic didn't really diminish his character in any way. Really, this has become one of my favorites. Thank you.
LoneCayt chapter 20 . 9/4/2011
Very cute, in a horribly swotty kind of way. I enjoyed it very much. It was refreshingly unique, especially since you brought so many unusual disciplines and histories - bookbinding in particular - into the weave of the story. I feel as if I've come away having learned something new, which makes all the time I've spent reading seem that much more productive. I thank you for that.

Also, I could tell that English was not your first language, but you vocabulary is very impressive. It puts mine to shame, which, considering I've been speaking English all my life, makes me feel rather lazy and uneducated.
tenoh27 chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
Sorry to say I forgot to leave a review for the beautiful art accompanying the fic (when I left one at TPP). Those were incredible! Thank you very much for sharing.
dorothy chapter 20 . 8/6/2011
I like it that you made the charakters and their relationship complex. It feels genuine, although the obsessive bits are rather on the extreme side. But then, they have been through a war.

Your tale and writing is beautiful. I also like your accompanying drawings :)

Thanks!
Miravisu chapter 20 . 7/30/2011
Absolutely wonderful.
WAYAMY27NARF chapter 20 . 7/26/2011
I'm touched by this story. I loved all the references and quotes and geography that you've spilled into this flowing narrative. It's a Harry Potter novella without the JK feel, but still this rings just as true. If that makes any sense...

I wanted to bring up a line from chapter 19 "the secret in his mouth." That made me smile more than you know, because it reminded me of J.M. Barrie's line from Peter Pan.

This was such a gem from start to finish. Everything was there, and at the right amounts. I know... this review is made up of generic phrases, but don't doubt my sincerity! I loved this piece, and I can't wait to read more from you, and see more art from you!

WAYAMY27NARF
012343210 chapter 19 . 7/22/2011
Okay, so... first off? I think Shakespeare would be quite pleased to see your use of "tail" here. Actually, Petruchio would be proud (II, i)...

Love the encounter with Blaise! It's quick, but the information you include about the Ministry programs for people who have lost their magic is quite revealing.

Hannah using the word "Krapfen" doesn't seem possible to me (neither does Hermione's sudden use of 'schmok' in the narration)... but the debate on the attractiveness of Neville and Severus? Grand.

This line? "His eyes smothered her, gleaming like fresh oil paint, a flicker of – incredulity? joy? – in their depths." Wonderful.
012343210 chapter 18 . 7/22/2011
There's something so easy about how you slip in and out of poetry and plays and your own prose... it's an ambling stream that picks up little bits here and there and continues onward, and the nature of what you're quoting has such a subtle impact on the prose.

I like the return to obsession here so that we can see how far Hermione's come in this short space of time... but I DO wish that she would start distinguishing the 'love' she felt for previous blokes from what she's experiencing now. They're SUCH different relationships, and I want to see some kind of progression from her.

Clogging the pipes! (Love it!)
012343210 chapter 16 . 7/22/2011
Whoa, whoa, whoa... hold up. This is the chapter that really threw me. (Also, its corresponding watercolour? My favorite of the bunch. There's something so simple and gentle about it...)

Snape as vaguely Jewish, sure, I could roll with that. I think I would have preferred a few more hints along the way, because all of a sudden in this chapter it is front and center. Really front and center. I think it's his use of Yiddish that I find the most startling, since we haven't heard it from him before. I can understand his opening up to Hermione about the family past now that they're together, but it seems a bit of a stretch for him to change the way he speaks, if that makes any sense. Snape with a father? That's another one that surprised me! There's something about what people are willing to do when they have nothing and nobody tethering them to the here and now that explains a lot of what he does in canon. (That being said, this is most definitely under your control and I enjoy very much what you're doing with it.)

And your descriptive language? "The landscape was immense, and she imagined herself as its mistress, conveying electricity from heaven to earth, able to make clouds and wind spin around her in a whirling dance." Beautiful. Rolling with Severus on the grass? (Insert me picturing Ron at this moment... what a reaction shot that would be...)