Reviews for The First Human Spectre
Michaelkoc1 chapter 36 . 12/14/2013
This was really interesting. Loved the new spin on it, i have to admit i agree with most of your alliance bashing tho. I always thought that BAaT thing was effed up.
jaffa3 chapter 10 . 12/6/2013
I always wished there was an option like that after the Turian councliar said Shepard would go to any lengths to save a human colony.

Love your story by the way
DeathmatchDrunkard chapter 36 . 11/4/2013
When I saw this first, I thought "Meh, another Shep/Tali...". Then I actually read the summary and was like "Heavy anti-Alliance slant?! I gotta read this!". And I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

A brilliant piece of fanfiction you've created here.
Guest chapter 30 . 8/15/2013
I'm very excited for your ME3! Tfhs series so far is awesome
Barleyguy chapter 36 . 7/26/2013
Your ending was...I don't know how much times better than ME's original was i mean holy frigg that was epic loved it. Now I'm gonna move onto ME 1/2 keep updating eh
Barleyguy chapter 32 . 7/26/2013
That had to be the most awe inspiring speech I have ever seen, holy shit that was an awesome read. Your Jonathan Shepard is one in a million that's for sure
Barleyguy chapter 26 . 7/22/2013
Curious, you've taken your time while writing before it this chapter seems rushed to me
Guest chapter 2 . 7/21/2013
Awesome story!
Paco the Assassin chapter 36 . 4/15/2013
This was one of the best Shepard/Tali stories I have ever read. And I really liked how you portrayed Shepard personality! This was amazing.
Tomon chapter 36 . 4/13/2013
Well, my opinion on your story is pretty similar to the previous one written by NoNameAvailable Bis :)

I like your story, it's have several very interesting concepts and intend to definitely continue with sequels.
His review have several points I wanted to adress:
The biggest part being the genophage "cure". I think that lot of people out there still thinks that there really was a cure and not just a clonning facility. Kirahe conclusion on that matter was wrong but there it seems not the case. At least if you don't intend to surprise Wrex with "Whoops, sorry, I really thought we got the cure and not just the clonning facility setup". That would be pretty degrading :-D

Alenko was very well written and I too was surprised that he died on Virmire but I like how you included the fact that to save Ashley mean to save the salarian team or what remained of them. That was what decided my decision on the first playthrough but in other ff they're often totally forgotten. Of course with Alenko was two marines but in canon it seems he is alone when he call you and arm the bomb. Also the fact that the bomb is hard but not impossible to defuse supports the decision of leaving it guarded.

And now probably the biggest concern of your story. Aliance and morality of humanity.

Shepard is well written, he is not flawless at all. He is also VERY blunt to a fault and it often comes to bite him in the ass. And he know it. While he can be cunning, it's not his first thought and not really in his nature.
I got the feeling his character is similar to yours or at least you have several similar traits.
You're most concerned about what Alliance did wrong and forgot what they did right. It doesn't excuse them at all, but Shepard seems to want really destroy the alliance. The better way would be to discredit large part of the leadership insted of alliance as a whole. I'm not saying is easy but he may damage the situation too much in the face of coming reaper invasion.
Of course there comes the problem, should he let it slide, let the representatives of alliance get away with it, let them continue with the already 15 years long era of hush up of L2. Let the large corporation rule without as they want without the fear of rettribution. Let the alliance mantain the strong feeling they show to everyone at the expense of peoples in small colonies or even on Earth?

I think the main question is if doing the right thing is the right choice overall.

I agree with his/your decision but disagree with the approach. If it was up to me, I would probably have several assasin after my head, the lot of higher ups would seriously hate me but I would still get backing of the alliance military and even manage to mantain the "hero status" of normal people.
Hard to say if either of this plan could succeed so the thing I will do is to read the sequels and see how will you handle it :)

But as I said earlier, very good story and really interesting scheme :)
Tomon chapter 33 . 4/13/2013
Just on the side note about how Quarians look.
Firt I would like to mention that I don't have problem with your description, I just want to oppose your AN a little :)
Quarians from very early point was desribed as a race most similar to humans and I would immidietly like to stop at that. Since if they are supossed to be most similar, they have to be closer to us than Asari! And Asari is in appearance blue human female with scalp crests instead of hair. Of course there can be found more differences but the fact is, they are the only races able to wear human armor :)
If we want to take the similarity to other level than just in appereance. We can expand the difference between human and Asari. After all they're mono gender race but Quarian are dextro based. For me it's about the same level of difference.
And Quarian on top of that have just three fingers instead of human five, also differently shaped legs and they're still supposed to be most similar.
So my idea of how Quarian looks like was very similar to canon reality. The biggest "mistake" on my part was I thought them dark skinned (purple/violet). But they need to be very similar to human in face structure if they want to maintain their position as most similar :) And them having her is a nice link between these two races.

Of course Bioware should handled Tali releveation better. While I don't have anything against how she look like. She deserved 3D model and not just badly edited photo because while the face is ok and on the mark. The hand is a joke along with the background.

Well, rather large comment so sorry about that :-D And another one is coming where I will summarize the whole FHS story (or the first part since it continues further) :)

So overall while I don't have anything against your outlook on Quarian and that you want them more alien, I personally disagree and don't mind them as the most human like race :)
NoNameAvailable Bis chapter 36 . 3/29/2013
Well, I just finished this story today, and thought I'll leave a comment before moving on to the sequels. As you might have guessed from the fact I read through 36 chapters of this, or that I intend to read more, I... didn't dislike the story. :)

First, I share many of your opinions about the Alliance. Maybe I did not go as far as you in my criticism, but the fact that they are at the very least guilty of hypocrisy many times did annoy me, even as the game tried to placate me by giving me Hackett and Anderson as its faces. Now, I do worry that perhaps shepard has burnt too many bridges (after all, if we ever come toward Mass Effect 3, it's pretty much impossible to replace the Alliance Fleet with good will from biotic communities), but I do agree that a line must be draw somewhere, and that it was croosed a long time ago. Maybe my problem is that, in general, I was annoyed with Humanity as a whole, which were many times presented like the best thing that has ever happened to the Galaxy, and yet i felt as a whole that they spent half their time demanding more power, and the other half whining about not getting it right away. Oh well, always funds the aliens more interresting anyway.

About the romance, congrats. I liked the slow pacing, the fact that it was built progressively, yet without falling into the now classic "they both love each other and yet think the other don't and so won't say anything and just have really akward conversation until they reveal their true feelings". Here, it was gradual, understandable, and, well, quite sweet (well, it has Tali in it, duh).

Not much to say on Tali : she was as awesome as I hoped, and reading her is always a treat. Me, biased ? Naaaah. About Shepard... I liked your version of him. Especially the fact that, sometimes, he wasn't right, and didn't always have the last word on any subject. at the very least, disagreeing with him didn't mark you instantly as an idiot, bigot or villain (for example, I pretty much sided with Alenko's philosophy during their early debates, even if I understand not everyone is as accepting as him)

Concerning the other characters... I was impressed with your take on Alenko, who definitely had a bigger role than in most fictions; To be honest, I really expected him to survive Virmire, if only because I thought his conversation with Shepard about the whole biotic programm and the (in)famous line "it makes me wanting to join terrorists" would found an echo when ME2 comes around. Other than that, you have a solid Liara and a good Ashley (even if she took time to get in the daylight). Perhaps Garrus and Wrex were on the sidelines a little bit. Joker too, for that matter. But then again, it's not easy to give equal viewing time to such a numerous cast -and I expect the problem to grow in the sequels. Anyway, all in all, solid characterizations for most of the cast, and the absence of bashing any was certainly a plus. Hell, even Udina had his good moments !

Now, a few complaints, not much. First, I was a bit confused about this story of Shepard storing away a "genophage cure". That he wanted to do so was understandable. But Saren had not found a cure, he simply cloned Krogan, still that fact did not seem to register at all. Perhaps it will be adressed later in the stories, still, I was left wondering at that. Second, I was a bit disappointed by Shepard letting Alenko getting called "traitor" twice in a row behind his back (being dead the second time, to boot !) without saying anything. Even if he is in disagreement with the way he handled his past, I don't think he deserves that label.

Random remarks : as someone who's currently preparing to sing Les Misérables, I smiled at the inclusion of "Do you hear the people sing". I was a bit confused by the mention of the Dreyfusards. After all, history has pretty much taken their side in the end. The random shout outs (Wrex channelling Jacob, Kaidan channeling Alistair, Garrus and Tali swapping lines during their banter) were funny as hell. and what little patriotism I have left was flattered by your description of Paris.

anyway, I'm done rambling and butchering English language. Expect a comment in your other fictions soon !
AngryHanar chapter 25 . 3/10/2013
This is definitely my favorite chapter in the story, excluding your other more... personal, scenes. I really enjoyed how you ended his career within the Alliance in such a dramatic, then directly to Noveria. I'd never pondered how that mission would play out if he was rogue! Good job, and glad you've continued to the second game.
The Grinning Psychopath chapter 10 . 3/1/2013
hmm your Shepard, seems to have a good deal in Common with Light Yagami from Death Note, kinda...

not sure if thats a compliment or not myself really... i mean i love Light, he's a kickass killer character with an awesome brain, and respectable ideals an stuff... hmm but err his methods of upholding those ideals well heheheheeh.
A2C2G chapter 19 . 1/4/2013
Just one melancholic smile after another here.

Also: is Tisiphone's birth name Alicia?

Also: will you be editing your work(s) after you've finished tfhs 2 and, presumably, tfhs 3?