Reviews for Finding Voice
Gnarled Bone chapter 1 . 1/9/2013
Sorry for putting follow when it's a one-shot, it's a habit that's hard to break. :P

This is wonderful. Lillet's reluctance to call Gaff a servant seems just like her and I love the use of the pun at the end. They all seem perfectly in character and I could almost hear them speaking the lines.

Great work! ;)
GrandMoff chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
i keep coming back to this one; it's solidly based on the canon characters, yet it takes them much farther, with a delicate and skilled touch. i really like the interaction between groups of three or more; they seem natural without being predictable. i like how lillet's thoughts sometimes lead into exposition of the upcoming action as well-

in short, you've done a terrific job with this fic.
Wolf-of-Five-Elements chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
Wow, I haven't visited this fandom for a while.. and then I discovered this story. I thought this story was very well done and I can definitely see it actually taking place in canon. You answered the question that I didn't even think to ask and raised some good points about Amoretta and music. Anyways, great job!
mhaza chapter 1 . 3/24/2011
I thought this was a nice little read. The best part (writing-wise) to me was how 'real' the dialogue felt, meaning that they seemed appropriate for the characters. Not just in how well they related to their actual game-personalities, but also how 'distinct' they appeared :)
Dracis Tran chapter 1 . 3/17/2011
"'You sing like an angel.'"

Highly amusing. Also very cute short on how Amoretta discovered the joy that is music and singing (and made me slightly giddy, being a vocal performance major myself as a side thing in college). Also seeing Lillet during her rise is always fun, particularly events that are not challenging her so much as showing her strong character and love.

:-D
Spikesagitta chapter 1 . 2/22/2011
Aww :) Set before Lillet became a Royal Magician? SO that's how Amoretta got into singing
Fuyu no Sora chapter 1 . 2/21/2011
Hi, hi! It's rather late, but I hope I'll still be able to snag the honor of the First Reviewer! _-

"A thrill of excitement ran through her as she filled in Royal Magician Lillet Blan for the very first time, then the name of her home village."

This, I found rather cute; it does a fantastic job of reminding us that Lillet is still a sixteen-year-old girl, and therefore prone to being excited over things that are a bit silly. Short and perfectly in-character!

"I understand, I think. When life gives you everything you ever hoped for, it can be hard to really accept that it's true, even when you know that it really is."

Hm. This reminds me a lot of what Shizuru said in your omake, Sounds Like Another Stamp Price Increase. It makes me wonder just how horrible it must have been for Amoretta to live the way she did, unloved, without a purpose in the world, before Lillet came along and offered her heart. I'm guessing that's why you have her lampshade it so often. Just how lonely and incomplete did she feel then? When one stops to think about it it's... extremely sad.

"Actually, he's an elf, sir," Lillet explained as she replaced the book. "He's my..." She fished for a word, so Gaff ended up filling in.

"Y'know, Lillet, 'servant' isn't an insult."

"I just don't like to give people the wrong impression."

"What's to impress? You're the magician, I'm the elf. We've got a legitimate contract. It's not like I'm some ghost you raised up and now it has to do whatever you order it to."

"I guess you're right. I just don't want people to think that." Not to mention it feels really weird, me having a servant!

I think this exchange is my personal favorite. Lillet trying to find a word other than 'servant' to call Gaff is hilariously Lillet-like; it's partly because she also considers him a friend, isn't it? I'm particularly amused at Gaff himself having to tell her that calling him a servant is not insulting him, and that it's not like he's some ghost she raised up! It makes one appreciate his sarcasm all the more, and the fact that Lillet can barely wrap her head around the fact that she has a servant was also a nice touch.

"At least the rest of us got a good nap out of it. It was like having a sermon and a class lecture all at the same time."

"I thought it was very interesting," Amoretta said mildly.

"Well, you would; you do magic so you learn from the lecture, and you've got that angel in you so you'd appreciate the sermon."

"I watched you two make goo-goo eyes at each other through a meal last night and again this morning, and that was quite enough. I'll stay here with Grimalkin, thank you."

Have I mentioned that I love Gaff's snarkiness? Like Lillet always says, he's such a typical boy! It's rather funny to see him always groaning whenever Lillet and Amoretta are lovey-dovey...which is about 99% of the time they're together. *snickers* It really must be hard on him.

She hadn't even gotten to the Royal House of Magic to formally take up her duties and she was already dreaming about changing the world. But then, it was good to have a dream, something to think of while living her life that could keep her on the right track in the face of distractions.

I agree completely; I really find it cute how idealistic Lillet is. If only she knew she's going to be Mage Consul and be able to, at least partially, realize her dream. It's especially nice for us readers who know that Lillet *will* be Mage Consul and make changes that will help inch closer to that goal of having magic become just another area of human knowledge.

"Do you not drink alcohol, little love?" Lillet asked her curiously.

"I've never had it before," Amoretta explained, "and I'm not sure how or if it might affect me since my body is different than a human's. I think that if I do experiment that it should be in private rather than a public place." She frowned slightly. "I'm not sure that I understand the appeal of liquor, though."

I completely approve of Amoretta's last comment; I seriously don't understand what people see in alcohol. Even less how they can have so much as to get drunk on the stuff. It *is* an interesting line of speculation as to what effect alcohol would have on Amoretta's non-human physiology. Hm...

Amoretta had been created by a man whose pleasures and passions were entirely of the intellect, analysis and logic, experiment and discovery. She had never heard music—even of music—before. And yet her voice was flawless. No, more than flawless; that word implied a mere lack of mistakes, a perfectly tuned instrument, and this was better than that. She managed to perfectly capture the mood of the song, the playful humor at the title character's misadventures that was its story.

I am immediately terribly jealous of everyone who got to hear Amoretta's voice! We're so luckless in that we'll never be able to hear her sing. Such a shame...

Lillet leaned forward and brushed her lips lightly over the other girl's.

"'You sing like an angel.'"

Sneaky Lillet! Nice pun right there, too, considering that Amoretta's soul is that of an angel...or did she mean it literally? I'm not sure anymore, but it was very sweet of her. D'aww, these two truly make my heart melt. _

By the way, this is something I've noticed: After a couple of periods the words aren't in caps, like in this sentence " I guess even a homunculus can get hungry from traveling all day, Lillet thought, smiling. she supposed that in any new relationship, people learned new things about the other person all the time, but with Amoretta it seemed even more common, since so often those new things had to do with what she was in addition to whom." The "she" after the period is the word you're looking for. _-

Anyway, I have to run off (need sleep), but lovely fic! I hope to see more of these in the future! _