Reviews for Murder, She Wrote: Murder at Sundown
TolkienScholar chapter 2 . 9/14/2016
It was a satisfying solution; I was right about the murderer(s) being more sympathetic when the victim is so despicable. I couldn't blame Stephen, particularly taking into account the evil things Michael was saying that he wanted to do to Angela. I hope they did get a lesser sentence. The solution was a bit simplistic, admittedly, but I do like how you worked in Jessica's distractible commentary on the architecture in the first chapter into the most important clue. And as a side note, I was really amused about Bale's insistence on the stereotypical "the butler did it" solution, considering he thinks Jessica so backward. That added a nice humorous touch.

Overall, this mystery two-shot was pretty well put together and captured the feel of the source material effectively. I enjoyed your writing. Thanks for sharing!
TolkienScholar chapter 1 . 9/14/2016
I love how you've captured many of the elements of a typical "Murder, She Wrote" episode, right down to the police chief getting the name of Cabot Cove wrong. I was surprised by the first person narration, but once I got accustomed to it, I was able to read it in Angela Lansbury's voice and feel like these were things she would say. You've captured the funny balance between nosy and considerate that makes her so endearing.

I enjoyed this tongue-in-cheek reference to the little breach of realism that the premise of the show requires: "It's not exactly protocol when an out-of-town writer becomes the lead detective in a murder case (although it seemed to happen to me disturbingly often)."

I think the murders where everyone hated the victim are often more interesting than the ones where he's loved by all. More suspects, and more possibility of a complex, sympathetic murderer. In this case, for certain, I don't feel at all sad about his death, if he was willing to do something so awful to his niece and then lay the blame on his son if they tried to go to the police. Angela called the killer the monster, but her uncle was really the monster.

I'm not sure, but I think "Captain Obvious," which Bale calls Jessica, may be an anachronism. I looked up and found out that they introduced the character in 2014. It may have been an expression before that, perhaps even in the 1990s, but I don't know. Maybe you know more about it than I do. I just wanted to point out that it seems like an anachronism to me.

I must admit I'm baffled! I love that it's an expression that gives her the final piece of the puzzle; that's just like Jessica. :) And now we get to have a Poirot-esque meeting to sort it all out...

Well done with capturing the feel of the show and with your writing over all. I look forward to reading the solution. :)
Guest chapter 2 . 3/9/2015
Nice writing. I figured it was them and had to do with the time of day.
lauren.bokman.1 chapter 2 . 8/12/2012
Angela and Stephen kill a man that made an attempt to physically abuse one and verbally dented the armor of the other...

and beat his own wife.
MarsStone chapter 2 . 3/3/2011
hmmm...that is kind of a Murder She Wrote story. The solution to the story was a bit weak, but okay nothingless.