Reviews for Drowning
SylverSpyder chapter 5 . 2/19
Very good. Nice concept, great execution. The hat makes a really nice tie-together for the tale.
Valerie chapter 5 . 12/10/2013
Really classy story.

I think you got Peter and Neal just right.
Rehabilitated Sith chapter 5 . 8/25/2013
Brrrrr...made me cold just reading about it. Good job!
Kiryat chapter 5 . 3/26/2013
Simply gorgeous. I'm all choked here and its more because of what you didn't have them say than what they actually did.

This is right on the nail for me. Grew up in a military household surrounded by brothers and testosterone. So much fanfic is full of weeping and wailing guys getting emotional and hugging each other. Newsflash-they just don't act that way! It makes them antsy and uncomfortable. My real bugbear are all the stories which turn Neal into a whiny pathetic wimp who starts to cry at the drop of a hat. This so ain't what he is!

Peter was in real need of a hug until El set him right. Loved him sad about the fact he'd thought him and Neal had become friends, but then worried Neal didn't actually care. The way El threatened and railroaded Neal into taking Peter and Satchmo out was genius. Her protectiveness was awesome and kind of reminded me of the way she behaved in Brass Tacks, all teeth and claws. The way you write their romance never fails to move me.

Neal being so pissed and then finally admitting the reason why (after a gut-wrenching full blown panic attack) was masterly. Peter handled him perfectly- 'Peter Burke's Psych 101' and then the talk they shared about the fedora actually brought tears to my eyes.

I love this story. It's all I want to see between these two guys. A Peter who is a real character and not just a cardboard cut-out or necessary evil in a White Collar story. Who in't just given lip-service as a carer/father for Neal. Your Peter is warm and kind and sexy. He has that lovely intelligent humor we see so often on the show. As for Neal- he's a man whose done bad things. Not a child or a misunderstood hero, but a flesh and blood guy whose caught between two worlds and has a genuine heart underneath the flash, brash exterior. You put them together on a neutral and even basis, not with one guy being daddy and the other naughty child. I do love a grown-up and calculating Neal. He's sexiest when he's using those laser wits.

Brilliant!
Kiryat chapter 4 . 3/26/2013
Gee, so much I could say about this chapter. Where the heck do I start?

Peter and El were just lovely together. The way you wrote him feeling guilty was exactly right and so in character. I loved how worried he was about her even though he'd been the one so badly hurt.

And then Neal - his confusion and anger broke my heart. He really doesn't know who he is or where's he going yet and this was a great early days study of Neal when he was still really torn between the two worlds. He's so angry with Peter! For nearly dying and leaving. This is too delicious for words!

I liked the explanation of why Peter was attacked and Diana coming in to save Neal from facing his demons. And finally we have the fedora again. Loving the symbolism of the hat!
Kiryat chapter 3 . 3/26/2013
This...

'The fedora was kind of symbolic.
It stood for a new set of people and dreams, and represented a new way of life.'

I can't tell you how much I adored this!

And everything else. The struggle to save Peter at the riverside and then Neal's own inner struggle with himself and his old way of life. The whole thing was just aching with symbolism added to the nightmare of the cold and dark and flashing lights. I could literally see it all happening in my head.

Poor Neal- waking to confuse El with Kate and then thinking Peter was dead. Poor guy really is going through the wringer. Not that I mind a bit!

Peter does sound very good. Off to read chapter 4...
Kiryat chapter 2 . 3/26/2013
Still cold!

Great descriptions of the river and the cold and the drowning... Peter's struggle and Neal's desperation. Loved in particular, Peter's thoughts of El and the acceptance he wasn't able to make it back to her this time. Heart-breaking!

Also adored Neal and the frustration that he couldn't get out of this particular mess by using charm or batting his eyelashes. LOL! Had to admit this made me smile it was so very in keeping with the character.

And again a cliffhanger!
Kiryat chapter 1 . 3/26/2013
Absolutely awesome. I'm sort of struck dumb here by the sheer quality of your writing. And can I say just reading this has made me feel very cold!

Things I loved in order- Neal bitching about the cold, Peter's relief Neal stayed in the car, and then the way he still issued orders despite being so battered. The way he thought of El and then couldn't. Your jaw-dropping descriptions of the sky.

Great cliffhanger...
Guest chapter 5 . 3/18/2013
wonderful!
Carrie'sHeart chapter 5 . 12/9/2012
Found this on the Peter Whump list. It's beautiful and exceptional and I really love the way you write.
imafuckingusername.dealwithit chapter 5 . 10/5/2012
I does likes it. Especially a pissed Neal... though it would've been funny had he yelled at him a little more, but this fits better.

thankyou,
BlueDiamondStar chapter 5 . 9/28/2012
very beautiful and awesome story
wotumba1 chapter 5 . 8/14/2012
peter really is neal's constant!

great,wonderful story! loved it!
wotumba1 chapter 4 . 8/14/2012
can the hat help neal decide what he wants to do with his future?
and can he get over his anger?
wotumba1 chapter 3 . 8/14/2012
soooo glad peter's alive! will he be back to being the 'old' peter?