Reviews for A Host of Friends
Belker chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
Wonderful!
LisaG16 chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
Nice cap to that episode...you have to wonder what happened next for Danny and Steve.

Oh and I just watched "El Dorado" on TV last night! Kismet!
vampyfreak chapter 1 . 4/4/2011
Great fic
ReluctantSlashFan chapter 1 . 2/27/2011
Danny has no idea how accurately he can imitate James Caan :P

Nice one-shot.

Bye
norriski chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
I really like this tag and how you expanded what happened between Danny and Rachel, showing that it was nothing more than him seeking someone that knew Matty too and could understand... but bringing in Steve, to fill that role of someone who he can trust in like a brother to always be there!
crokettsgirl chapter 1 . 2/25/2011
Love how you put Jame Caan in there, that is always good. Going to Rachel because she knew Matt best besides Danny is exactly how I looked at it and he needed to be hugged I think that was great. Then having Steve with the beers waiting at Danny's door was also good. I like how you used the story that Matt told and Danny made comment on when he handcuffed Matt in the zoo as an analogy to Losing Matt now...great job. Sue
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 2/25/2011
WONDERFUL story and tag to Loa Aloha which was a tour de force episode for Scott Caan as Danny. Heartbreaking and yet so wonderful! I LOVED that you mentioned El Dorado. I LOVE that movie, even have it on DVD and had forgotten about father James being in it! Perfect connection.

I LOVE that you show that Danny has two families on the island, Rachel and Grace and the 5-0 team, specifically Steve. I LOVE that show that bond of friendship and how easily it's been formed, that the trust is so intrinsic! Great job!

Fave Parts:

They both take a swig of beer and stare at Danny's sparsely-decorated walls. Finally, he gathers enough strength and enough breath to tell Steve: "Matt's gone."

Steve doesn't say anything right away, but when he does, Danny can tell he's given it a lot of thought. "You did the right thing."

- I LOVE this admission of support by Steve. It speaks so much to how Steve understands how hard the decision was for Danny to let someone who broke the law go because it wasn't just anyone, it was his brother and that for all the protestations of rules and regulations, when it comes to someone you care about, it's not so black and white. Steve supports him because he understands that. They are the right 5 words to say.

Danny stops the protest before it leaves his lips, ceasing himself before he fires back that Steve has no idea what happened with Matt because he wasn't there – and therefore he's in no position to judge right from wrong. He stops himself because he lets the words sink in far enough to realize that McGarrett doesn't feel the need to know what happened exactly; he trusts Danny implicitly.

- This is SO great and so true! It also speaks to the evolution of their friendship over a very short time, that making such assessments about trust and character can be made via simple actions over the short time they have worked together.

There's a line in an old John Wayne western that Danny loves – El Dorado – when James Caan's character is getting teased by Wayne and Robert Mitchum about a girl. Chuckling, Caan shakes his head and says, "A host of friends. I have a host of friends."

- LOVED this! Now I want to watch the movie. Think I will this weekend!
francis2 chapter 1 . 2/25/2011
Danny has a great way to cope with this. He really has friends, and I love that you use a line Scott's father said.

What I truly admire is how you bring depth to the funny story they told over dinner, and to why he went to Rachel. It makes a lot of sense that Steve would wait for him there. Thanks!
star trek nutcase chapter 1 . 2/25/2011
You're ending was how I thought the episode should have ended, with Steve, beer & companionship. This was my leave fav episode for a multitude of reasons, but your ending (which I'll simply add in my head to the actual show) definitely improved upon the original. Good job & glad you shared it.
sherry57 chapter 1 . 2/24/2011
I love the reference to James Caan in El Dorado...very nice touch. Nice story. Good comfort, good relationships,god friendships. Thanks.
mcatB chapter 1 . 2/24/2011
This was good - a very nice ending to the episode. I wanted it to end with Danny and Steve, too... and of course, I chuckle at Danny quoting James Caan... Thanks!
Vanessa Sgroi chapter 1 . 2/24/2011
I too must admit the James Caan reference at the end was very clever. Added a nice touch.
godsdaughter77 chapter 1 . 2/23/2011
Nice story! It was funny, cause as soon as I saw the title I thought of El Dorado and then you actually got the name from that movie! :) Thanks for sharing!
pixiegold chapter 1 . 2/23/2011
Good story. Especially liked you sneaking in Scott's father into the fic. Ohana.
Denese25 chapter 1 . 2/23/2011
The James Caan line is a nice touch - great piece.