Reviews for Consequences to the Grave
Muskrat chapter 28 . 8/15/2017
I read this all the way through a couple weeks ago and have since done a lot of thinking about it.

First off, you are an amazing storyteller, and an excellent writer. I loved a lot of things about this. Utilizing flashbacks that gradually reveal information like you did is one of my favorite storytelling mechanics and you nailed it. I looked forward to every single flashback scene, and they were all perfect. The way you handled the crucial Fridge scene with Christophe was utterly perfect. I understood his actions, I felt complete sympathy for him, and my heart broke for him. There are infinite ways that it could have been handled less delicately or with too much fanfare, and I would have come away without any sympathy for Christophe or feeling bored, but you hit the sweet spot. All of the flashbacks were spot on. I found myself almost speed-reading through parts just so I could get to the next flashback scene sooner.

I loved the role God played. To be honest I didn't really understand why he allowed Yardale school to exist, but I loved the conversation in which God specified that he wasn't truly omnipotent, just close enough to fool everyone. And I loved that he wasn't some kind of cliche superpowered bad guy, and that every single thing Christophe thought wasn't just straight true. I always like it when something challenged the viewpoints the narrator character has, even if only a little.

I loved that Kenny, true to the show, still came back to life and went and did something.

I loved Christophe's hallucinations and the way they so clearly conveyed Christophe's inner thoughts and mental state.

I loved Christophe's narration in general. He felt like a real person, and I think that in such a fantastical scenario and overall plot that's a very difficult thing to do.

I loved the way you weaved the canon into your own mythology and storyline.

I usually find first person POV fics to be tiring and reminiscent of self-insertions, but this is one of the relatively few times that I've believed a fic is genuinely better for being in first person.

There are a great many more things I loved, but I want to express my only major complaint: throughout the entire read, I found myself wishing that ultimately Gregory and Christophe would make up and be boyfriends. It made me desperately wish for a fic about Gregory and Christophe as children, facing adversity and becoming close and growing up together. I didn't find myself caring overly about Damien. After giving this some thought, I think it's because I never really had a good handle on Damien's character. In fact, somehow Christophe and Gregory felt like the only real characters in the whole story. I greatly enjoyed many of your OCs, but I think if I had been called upon to truly care about them in their own, it would have been very difficult unless it was presented through sympathy for Christophe and how he felt. It felt like you were relying too much on any existing characterizations of characters like Stan, Kyle, etc. and not developing them on your own enough, and this was true of Damien as well.

The problem is that as the reader I was never given a chance to get to know Damien before he was thrust into an extreme situation. You so carefully crafted Christophe's character, and the. Damien just felt thrown on top. It was mostly just perplexing when he showed affection towards Christophe, especially at the beginning, because I didn't understand why. I understood Christophe seeking affection and positive attention when offered, but I didn't understand why Damien was offering it. He seemed to go from 0 to 60 on Christophe in a snap. I wish there had been a chapter or two of Damien and Christophe interacting before being captured, to establish who he was in a neutral setting before thrusting him into chaos. Similarly, the very beginning of their relationship felt like it moved at lightning speed (at least on Damien's side), and then the middle felt like it was far too drawn out.

Relatively minor complaints include:

Although I liked the imagery of Yardale school collapsing around Christophe and co. I do not understand why Christophe did not wish for something along the lines of Kenny's wish for everything to go back the way it was (perhaps minus Yardale), or at least why he didn't wish for Chase to be alive again. I wish that he had at least tried, and had God tell him that couldn't be done.

I did not really "get" Gregory switching sides back to the "God" side briefly at the very end, especially since Christophe told me over and over how Greyson was Gregory's tormentor and nightmare. It seemed very out of place in light of the previous chapter where he agreed to help Christophe, and it seemed even more out of place after Gregory effectively switched back again quickly.

I wish Cartman (in fact, Stan and Kyle as well) had had a bigger role. It didn't seem right that he was basically only there to be the fourth person in a group and once or twice say something bigoted. I don't even care about Cartman as a character much, but in the show he is much more resourceful and cunning than here, where he was basically nothing at all.

I wish that SOMETHING had been done to explain Kenny's resurrective powers and why they supersede your established canon about people like them not having an afterlife. Any actually attempt at a real explanation would have been too much, but, say, some character presenting a theory or two would have been nice. It just seemed incongruous given the presented mythology.

I wish that Stan and co. hadn't died I guess, though I don't think I would have minded it if it had seemed like it mattered more.

I didn't like the chapter that was basically just the movie written out. I feel like that could have been condensed. In particular I wish you hadnt included him singing as he died, because that really took me out of the story. In the movie it was fine because that was a movie, but after being privy to all of Christophe's thoughts and emotions for so long, him breaking out into song felt absurd and silly. That said, I loved the way you integrated that whole incident into your own story.

Overall this was an amazing read. It's easily one of the best South Park stories I've ever read, and if that weren't the case I wouldn't have spent so much time typing all this out.
kaiTik chapter 28 . 9/21/2016
This isn't my first time reading this nor will this be my last.

I usually switch what fandom I read about a couple times and every time I come back to South Park this is the first story that pops into my head and I obsess over it like it's my first time reading it. Once again I reread this and it only took me 2 days to finish cause I cannot stop reading, hence why I lost a lot of sleep recently.

You did a fantastic job on CTTG even though this story is years old, and this will forever be my favorite story on this site.
ChloeDinkle chapter 28 . 6/17/2016
I know this is years after you've written it but I absolutely adore this fic. I read it about three years ago and I had to come back and read it again. It's amazing and very well written. Thank you so much for creating this piece of art.
XSakuraChu chapter 1 . 4/4/2016
This is probably my 3rd time rereading this story
Kanaeo chapter 28 . 7/15/2015
I love this! My friend recommended this and and im glad she did, well done on making a fantastic story! XD
swiftfurj chapter 1 . 7/8/2015
So, it's been almost 3-4 years since I've finished reading this fanfiction and I just wanted to let the author know that I still think about this story. Out of every fanfiction I have read, which is quite a lot, CTTG still ranks as my #1 favorite. Thank you for crafting this and I hope you're still writing amazing stories.
Fangurl chapter 28 . 7/4/2015
I love your writing style so much! I never even heard of Drestophe before and your writing made them my OTP!
La Grande Pau chapter 1 . 3/22/2015
'Ello, fellow fanfictioner! :D

So, I've read your masterpiece some weeks ago, and I LOVE IT. I am a translater on this site, and ngh... Must... Translate... Awesome... Fic... ARGH

It's incredible, stressful, thrilling, funny, endearing... I'm in love w/ your work, and I think it would be a shame to keep it from non-english-speaking people.

So, can I translate your fiction in French? :) I know you have stopped writing and all, but I ask just in case...

Don't worry, I will put credits and all... No stealer ;)

Goodnight! Or day, depends I guess ;)

Kiss
Guest chapter 28 . 3/15/2015
Holy shit this was good!
You should make this into a book!
Like, change gregory and damien into chicks and you got yourself a frikkin amazing book!
Rainmy chapter 28 . 12/13/2014
You are right,if I reach the end of this giant fic I should at least say I read it,so,I did,and enjoyed it (
JustIcyFlame chapter 28 . 8/30/2014
I just finished this story, and all I can say is... It's just... Awesome. Epic. Beautiful. My everything. I have been reading this for a few days now, and it's the only thing I was focused on. I just love the freaking plot, and just... everything, really! I love, love, love this story. If I were asked to re-read it a thousand times, I definitely would. I would totally re-read this someday. The ending was super epic!

I used to love Christophe x Gregory, but because of this story, I now ship Damien x Christophe.

Damien x Christophe is now my OTP c:

God bless dis story.
Vienna Deliny chapter 28 . 8/17/2014
I just finished reading the entire thing, and I thought since this was an old story I'd only post my review on the last chapter. I literally read this entire beauty in roughly 48 hours. It has become my life for the past few days I literally could not stop reading. I loved it so so so much, I love how Christophe/Damien is such a crack ship but its now my OTP, and I will actually be headcanoning ALL of this, and I will forever think about the scenarios you've created around La Resistance when I watch the South Park movie. This story is seriously my obsession, you're writing skills and originality are incredible, way better than I'll ever be. I feel like you're too good to be on fanfiction. This could be punished, it's an epic better than the Hunger Games. It has every aspect to be better than any saga out there. (Have you actually read the hunger games? I was shocked at how poorly it was written, she had great ideas and everything but you're writing talent far surpasses Suzanne Collin's) Anyway, this has probably gone on long enough, I loved every word from start to finish and I'm glad I found this story, and you, you amazing, amazing person you 3
Ghinjullah chapter 28 . 6/8/2014
This was ultimately EPIC! One of the best ever in the history of South Park's fanfiction. I can not believe this is over, I had so much fun reading it! The creativety was supreme, I shall hail you for eternity! DAMIEN WAS SO RDCGDHFNCIYDVGBBADASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I had to tell every single detail of this fanfic to my friend who does't speak english, and now she tell me I got energic everytime I told her about the story. And guess what ? She LOVED the story as well, even though she does't watch South Park nor she read fanfic at all. She made me describe to her every single chapter I read, and I read one chapter per day, so every morning, before teacher arrive in class she said things like "Hi Eloisa, did you read another chapter of that fanfic?" and I would answer "YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS and it was FABULOUS!" and then "REALLY? TELLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEE WHAT HAPPENEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" and then we would talk about CTTG like our lives depended of that, ignoring all the weird looks other girls gave us.

Yeah because we loved this story like that.

Seriously, I just so love this! I'm sure that, in the future, every time I think about south park I will remember you and this masterpiece of your's and get all nostalgic . Congratulations, this story is now a mark in my life.
Ritome-chan chapter 28 . 11/18/2013
Oh my god. This was so good. It actually kept me up from getting a healthy amount of sleep. When I got to the second to final chapter, I almost cried I swear. Not because it was sad though. Just because I wasn't 'ready' for it to end because it is so wonderful. This fic has actually made me love this pairing very much so. You are an amazing writer. Please, keep up the good work. This was amazing. You're amazing. That is all.
FilosSophie chapter 28 . 7/30/2013
I must say, I am incredibly impressed. I am a book-worm and read approximately a book each day, sometimes more (though I read some books again and again). Even so, I am safe to say that this fic is some of the best novels I have ever read. You have an extraordinary way of laying your plot, portray the characters and all in all building a story which people can enjoy reading. The same can be said for those of the other fics I have read by you. Your standard is high and I hope you keep writing. I will write this to, even so you have already answered this, but you have the ability to write real novels and may you should try. You are actually better than quite a lot of the authors I have read books from. Thank you so much for all of your stories. These have given me a lot!