Reviews for Life as we know it
Sally chapter 27 . 12/13/2015
Please please PLEASE keep going!
Amaki Owlaf chapter 27 . 10/17/2015
Hoping to see more. I do see a few mistakes I think, or maybe things you're forgetting. I'm wondering about this seer making the elves free and whether this has anything to do with Fred becoming an imaginary friend. My guess, or idea if you'd like to borrow it, would be that when Fred was free and could do whatever he wished, he decided to never again kidnap children for the gods he served, after all he was free, so he lived on Earth. He played with other children while remaining invisible to others, eventually getting the idea to be invisible to only one child at a time. This would fit with his not liking to share and jealousy feelings like how he always hated Mickey when he was being friends with Lizzy. Of course he learns to read and maybe write, so as to help children more as he played with them - reading them bedtime stories perhaps is one example.

Of course he doesn't become a real "imaginary friend" but rather as the centuries went by, people believed in elves less, so one day a boy or girl that Fred becomes friends with asks, "Are you my imaginary friend?" And Fred says, "I... why yes! Of course I am! However did you guess that! You're smart!" before bonking the kid on the head and prompting a game of tag or some other. Or perhaps you can borrow that line of Richie from Bottom, "How do you know these things!?" as a tribute to Rik Mayall. ;)

The only thing is though that you might have forgotten the movie a bit, because there was the scene in the doctor's office (psychiatrist) where Fred suddenly notices other imaginary friends and starts playing with them. Go to Hell Herman, Velcrohead, Graggy(I think that was his name, you know, the twat with the red balloon), and Namby Pamby. These other imaginary friends did not wear green, or any other closes like Fred's. A theory for this scene's interaction would be that maybe Fred, being a creature of magic now, could see other magical beings such as Imaginary Friends, and he's interacted with them before several times and it would explain their behavior in that scene in the movie.

Which brings us to right after that happy meeting of friends when they warn Fred about Lizzy taking the green pills. "You remember Go-go Mouth? KrrrrrrrrrrrrrrKKK!" Realistically, there's nothing wrong with Lizzy, according to the Dr. The pills neutralized that part of the brain which was, according to him, malfunctioning. Clearly this is aimed at imaginary friends, and sure enough, when Lizzy took the first pill, he winces in pain, drops to his knees and clutches at his stomach. For the next few scenes as Lizzy continues with the pill taking, he continues to become more lethargic, indicating that the pills are somehow working. But if he really wasn't imaginary, but rather an elf from your fanfic, how could the pills be affecting him like that?

I wanted to point out a few things I've seen in the media regarding the faire folk. In Peter Pan if you said, "I do not believe in fairies," then the closest fairy would drop dead - but clapping your hands (or saying, "I DO believe in fairies!") saves them. There was an episode of the TV cartoon series called Gargoyles where the leaders of the Third race (elves mostly) returned to their island and the Gargoyles fought to remain there. Near the end of the episode, when the Gargoyles apparently lost, their human friends came up with their own weapon, a bell made of iron that when struck, it caused pain to the elf leader. The elf leader then compromises, allowing the gargoyles to stay so long as they never used the bell again.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts for ya. I hope you're still writing this, and if you reached writer's block, I hope my ideas will shift it aside, and if it hasn't I'll get Drop Dead Fred a huge hammer and tell him to make some breaky noises and smash up your writer's block for ya. :)

Last thought for ya. In an episode of Star Trek Voyager, a hologram program of a village is left on all the time, and the holographic villagers beginning to notice weird things, like Paris telling the computer to fix the wheel and the wheel is magically fixed - a villager sees this and crosses himself saying, "Saints preserve us!" Eventually the controls get locked and the safety protocol is offline, and the villagers hold three crewmen hostage, believing them to be fairies or demons. They hypnotize one of them, the Doctor no less (who of course is a hologram as well, and with the safeties off he was vulnerable!) They get the idea that if you can get the fairy to tell you it's true name,t hen they cannot harm you or use their magic on you. They hypnotize the Doctor and ask him for his name... the response, "I haven't decided on one yet." Which was very true since throughout the series, the holographic doctor never has a name and everyone just calls him "Doctor." Priceless! :) Mind you, I don't think it would work in your story since Fred's name is a shorter version of his old name from before he became an elf, but maybe by saying it he could remember everything about himself or something.

Also, I have yet to see Lizzy sneeze and send Fred crashing backwards through things. It was one of my favorite moments in the movies, and maybe if this were to happen to him again in your story, he might remember Lizzy once again.

Good story so far. I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Good luck. :)
Sun-chan1 chapter 27 . 5/25/2015
I'm sorry I didn't get to read these chapters sooner, especially after you wrote the last chapter so quickly for my birthday! I get really sick shortly after and couldn't do much.
I like that we got to see more of what makes Annabella tick in this part. She's really becoming a stronger person now. I like that she's so determined to help the children. I can't wait to see what happens with this.
imyourfag chapter 27 . 5/2/2015
I have been on the fence regarding Janey in this fic.

What I found so endearing about her in the film was her willingness to embrace Lizzie's belief in Fred. She went as far as to talk to him. To attempt to strangle and stomp him to death. I rationalized this behavior as Janey taking out her frustrations with Lizzie out on "Fred" instead of Lizzie herself because she understood that Lizzie really believed in his existence. It's never confirmed in the film if Janey thought he was real or not- It didn't matter to her because Lizzie's belief was good enough for Janey. In addition to this, Janey had a sort of motherly love for Lizzie. While she may have no qualms sleeping with a married man, I don't think she'd do anything to hurt Lizzie. So I have a hard time digesting her budding relationship with Mickey. At least at this point in time with such little regard to Lizzie's feelings. But I do buy her warmth toward Annabella, and I thoroughly enjoy your characterization of her as well. Good people make poor decisions, too.

Anyway, that's really the only thing that doesn't sit well with me in this fic. I wouldn't have even addressed it if you hadn't prompted us for feedback. Oh- and I'm totally ready for some Fred & Lizzie snogging! Aaarg!

XD

Again, thanks for picking this story back up! It makes my heart happy.
ZombieWithANoose chapter 26 . 4/24/2015
Just wanted to say, keep going! :) I'm really enjoying this. Can't wait to see what their conversation will be like in the next chapter.
imyourfag chapter 26 . 4/20/2015
You are spoiling us (not that I'm complaining)!
Thanks for the updates, there really aren't enough DDF fics out there.
hyonamkang chapter 26 . 4/20/2015
Yay, two updates! I am really happy to see this continued, it's such a rich, rounded story
Sun-chan1 chapter 25 . 4/19/2015
I, for one am ,*so* glad you're you're continuing this fic. I really enjoyed this chapter. I really like how the riddles are designed to show different characters' different fields of intelligence. I haven't worked out why the maid was there murder yet. but I'll keep thinking on it. Also, thanks for the timing of this update, tomorrow's my birthday!
Shay-Monyou chapter 25 . 4/17/2015
No post on Sunday!
peaceluvharmony chapter 25 . 4/17/2015
I'm so glad you decided to continue, it's very good :D (and there's no post on Sundays...?)
hlytxaccountant chapter 25 . 4/17/2015
Yay, a chapter! Lol, you haven't lost me yet, though I do periodically check to see if somehow the fic was removed from my alert list, lol. Writing is hard, RL happens, take your time;-)

I read the first riddle in a random Ravenclaw thing on buzz feed earlier today, so that made me giggle. I know why the maid did it, it's why Uncle Vernon was so happy in the first Potter (bit of an HP fan here, lol). She shouldn't have said she was getting the post;-)
imyourfag chapter 25 . 4/17/2015
I'm so thrilled you updated! Even if this chapter isn't quite how you wanted, it is still very enjoyable! I love that you have Fred stepping back into the role of Lizzie's advocate, especially with how it seemed to perplex him. Like second nature. )
Speaking of perplexed, I think you are doing a marvelous job portraying the sort of confusion Fred would have toward his developing desire for, and progression into, adulthood. I do believe there would be a sort of "puberty" period for him.

I hope you find your inspiration to continue this story. You've put so much care into the development of the plot while maintaining the integrity of the characters. That's incredibly difficult to find in fanfic, so thank you for dedicating your time and effort to my fandom. )
imyourfag chapter 23 . 4/8/2015
I... I... I can't believe you stopped updating a story that you've put 70k words into! This is fantastic and I need more! I love that you didn't fluff the characters - You've kept them true to their faults, and honestly, their faults are the best thing about them.

Please tell me you're going to update this. Please. ;_;
peaceluvharmony chapter 23 . 1/6/2015
Amazing story you're a great writer! Can't wait for the next chapter! :D
Lucia chapter 24 . 9/20/2014
Hi I really love you're story! It's amazing and I really want to finish it... So please please please updat, I'm begging you, you're an amazing writer and I just want to read more