Reviews for The Last Casualties
The lowest Euro bill denomination is 5, followed by 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500.
There are one and two euro coins, plus the smaller fractional denominations (0.01, 0.02, [Both of which are not used in some countries, where they round to] 0.05, 0.10, 0.20, 0.50).
3 is a bit steep for a tea, it's the price you would expect from a really fancy place. At your run of the mill bar or cafetería (pub, coffee shop), it would be closer to one euro. At the time of your story, a cortado (think espresso coffee) was 0.80. There was a funny incident in 2007 when our then presidente de gobierno (think prime minister), *of the socialist party,* was put on the spot on live TV when a man in the audience asked him if he knew the cost of a cup of coffee, to show his disconnect from the man on the street (it had by then raised to the actual cost of 1.20 due to the economic recession) and he quoted the older price, "approximately".
Germany was an ally of Franco, German planes would have been more likely to hit a Republican.
The Spanish form of Stephen is Esteban. During Franco's time, only "proper Spanish names" where allowed when registering/baptizing children. My own mother was named Elizabeth by my grandparents in honour of an old family friend from Gibraltar, but she was put down as "Elisa Isabel"
mumphie chapter 16 . 7/6
I've really enjoyed your story so far...well written, good use of language, evident humor...yes, I definitely want to know more of this story!
Revliledpembroke chapter 5 . 7/5
Well, bye! Hermione's parents were never shown as anything but supportive. They took her to Diagonal Alley, walked around with her, and listened to her lecture them about the world she was entering.

Funny, if they are unjust laws on the books about Muggleborns, wouldn't you think Hermione would have found them during second year? She would want to read about Malfoy's blood prejudice and see the history of it, wouldn't she? You have to learn their arguments so you can counter them, after all.

So, she does a bit of "light reading," finds out the history of blood prejudice and the laws that still exist because of it, and then decides to just "Nope" the fuck out of there, because, at that point, why would she stay?

Soooooo... I'm done. Man... I read through all of Harry Crow, hating it the whole way (you can probably tell why). But, anymore, I just cannot make it through a single one of these "Dumbledore is evil" fics. You haven't outright stated it yet, but it's the only conclusion I can draw from "Dumbledore knew about horrible abuse and didn't try to prevent it."
Revliledpembroke chapter 4 . 7/5
"As much as I'd like to Crucify my sister into insanity."

Hello, auto-correct. Crucio got turned into Crucify.

Also, what's the point in punishing someone if they don't know why they're being punished?

Also also, why does everyone feel the need to exaggerate the deprivations Harry suffered at the Dursleys? He was starved for emotional support and love, but his opening narration says that he got enough to eat. Sure, he got some harsh punishments, but those were typically imprisonments, not beatings (Vernon's comment about "nothing wrong with him that a good beating wouldn't cure" notwithstanding).

Also, everyone uses this as fodder to point out how evil Dumbledore is because he kept sending Harry back there when he knew abuse was occurring!

Dumbledore's sister was attacked when her magic was just developing, and she was never in conscious control of it ever again. So why would Dumbledore knowingly leave Harry with abusers equally as bad as the attack on his sister? Who could fight Voldemort then?

Certainly not Harry. He'd be a brain-damaged cripple whose only magic would be occasionally moving a toy from one side of the room to the other. Not much of a useful pawn.

Voldemort's followers could probably even use that against Dumbledore and the forces of law and order. It might gall Tom to do so, but I imagine "Boy-Who-Lived in Permanent Catatonic State" or "Boy-Who-Lived Crippled by His Own Relatives" would make rather catchy headlines and rallying causes against Dumbledore.

But no "Harry was abused and Dumbledore is evil and behind it" is just a crap idea that refuses to die.
Revliledpembroke chapter 3 . 7/5
"at the logic puzzle. She'd almost sprinted past the prone form of Ron Weasley, but had instead paused to Levitate the gormless idiot"

You mean the Ron Weasley who had just made a move that might have meant his death, and he went towards it willingly, purely to make sure Harry could stop Snape from reaching the Stone? That gormless idiot? See if anyone ever sacrifices themselves for you, if that's all the gratitude you'll give them.

What's the point of the family talk? Sirius would be James's blood relative in this instance, and Harry was sent to the Dursleys because they were his mother's bloody family. Unless it's just another "Dumbledore is evil and set Harry up to be an abused martyr" cliche.

No, your comparison to the Jim Crow South is not accurate. There was a Muggleborn Minister For Magic some time ago. It might have even been in the 1800s.
That would mean there would need to be a black American President in a similar time frame. There wasn't.

Also, if anything, Purebloods would get jobs because they are old, connected, and know the system. Like, say, an American government worker named Richard J. Beauregard IV. He'd be a fourth generation government employee, would have been to THE schools, knows everyone there is to know, and the person hiring him owes his father or grandfather a favor.

That doesn't mean John Q. Public couldn't get the same job. It'd be more difficult, sure, but talent has a way of standing out.
Revliledpembroke chapter 2 . 7/5
Mature they be about some things, but that doesn't apply to all aspects of their character all of the time. Maturity about relationships only comes with experience. Experience neither Harry nor Hermione has.

No, it isn't realistic. It also isn't realistic for them to go from friends to "forever" on the same damn day. Give us a week, at least.

They just skipped the stage where they "like like" each other.

Also, Ron, boy who rescued Harry from the Dursleys, faced his greatest fears with Harry (Spiders, the Forest) is written off from this fic entirely because of a split that lasted a month (at this point). Stuff that happens later does not count as it hasn't happened yet, and you can change it.
Revliledpembroke chapter 1 . 7/5
Ron only got mad at Harry in year 4 when Harry didn't let him in on the "secret" of how Harry got into the Tournament. The whole month where they had that "break up" probably could have been avoided had Harry told Ron "I don't know, Ron, why would someone enter ME in a contest known to kill its contestants? Were you not here for Quirrel, Basilisk, and Sirius?" Instead, Ron's question as to why someone else would enter Harry in the Tournament was met with a shrug and "I dunno."

14 year old Ron also would likely remember that 11 year old Ron talked with Harry about a magic mirror that showed whatever the viewer desired and what the mirror actually showed him (his family).

Fourth Year Ron would be overjoyed that his friend got his family back. No one except Snape, Umbridge, or Filch would turn "family magically returns from the dead" into some sort of negative, crying for attention thing.
Good
WiseSunny chapter 32 . 6/15
Wow, this story is easily one of the best Harry Potter AUs that includes a war with Voldemort. Most fics, like the actually book, only show one or two points of view, making everything se simple when considering that it's war, shouldn't be. On that note, I also love how you show what an actual war is like. By including the political side affects and well as the emotional backless of killing and murder, you show us how difficult it is for Harry and the others. Canon Harry in the seventh book pretty much just goes on a camping trip with friends, is temporarily captured but escapes relatively safe (which should be unlikely considering that a war is going on and he is a hostage), willing walks to what he thinks is his death, and then participates in what is easily the stupidest duel ever. Excluding that of Snape and Lockhart's of course. My point to all this is that in canon there isn't really a war at all. It's only a terrorist who is put down pretty quickly by a boy with almost no training. It's completely unrealistic and dull. On the other hand, this story is amazing. The plot is suspenseful, exciting, and not once have I lost interest. I can't wait for the next update but until then I will read the rest of your stories. I'm so sorry I can't make you one of my favorite authors, because although I have a FF account, I've completely forgotten my username and password. :) God bless you and good luck with the rest of the story.
Charley chapter 32 . 6/13
I have enjoyed this story immensely! Please continue as I hate not being able to finish an intriguing tale. I don’t sign in or haven’t so don’t follow authors or stories. But please finish!
Nice good
Good
fncmullin chapter 32 . 6/5
I’ve just binge read this whole thing and it’s fantastic. I’m also really glad that you’ve given a short summary of the timeline at the start of 32. It helps make it clear when we are not just where. Much appreciated.

The interpersonal relationships you’ve built here and the family of choice have truly been excellent. I can’t wait to learn more about Percy AND find out what’s going to happen to all of them, really. Well done, excellent work, and I can’t wait to read more. So very sorry to hear about the loss of your family members. It’s never really easy.
texan-muggle chapter 9 . 6/5
From the last chapter...

"Harry is gonna fuck Voldemort so hard, the dark bastard won't be able to walk straight ever again."

I sooooo want to see this...:(
2,990 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »