Reviews for Aphrodite Urania
Sleepless Eremite chapter 19 . 4/12/2014
Aww, Marius. I'm glad that he (sort of) reconciled himself to the marriage with his terms and conditions. And the end with Victoire was perfect :)
Sleepless Eremite chapter 18 . 4/12/2014
I am glad that Marius is making good on his earlier promise to listen to Cosette by at least paying attention to her points about Marie's potential marriage (even if he does not fully agree). After all, the mark of an intelligent person is entertaining an idea without necessarily accepting it, etc., but of course we know he will listen in the end...

...or Marie will just make the decision for herself. Yikes! At least Jacques did the honorable thing by "waiting for marriage," even if their marriage would be unconventionally begun.
Sleepless Eremite chapter 17 . 4/12/2014
I think Marius' decision is fair. You might have said more about Jacques' political decisions - after all, Marius' discovery of them was treated only very briefly at the beginning of the last chapter - but the conversation between Marius and Jacques was rich and important.

And, more parallels are revealed, as Jacques hides a letter in the garden xD Ah, l'amour.
Sleepless Eremite chapter 15 . 4/12/2014
Good for Cosette for trying to keep everything calm and together (by cooking no less. Some people might think she's too boring for being "domestic," but can we just remember that this is the 19th century? Okay? Okay.). And very smart of Jacques' father too, changing the will of the house, etc.

Ah, Marie almost let the truth slip out! Good save.

Facepalm when Jacques tried to use "Pride and Prejudice" to convince Marie to get back together with him. Darcy might have broken off an engagement of Lizzie's sister, but he didn't endanger the life of Lizzie's (non-existent, hypothetical for the point of this comparison brother). But good try Jacqies! ;D And good comeback, Marie. Boom.
Sleepless Eremite chapter 12 . 4/12/2014
Your description of Cosette vs. Marie here is brilliant, the walking with grace thing vs. walking with purpose. In fact, much of your writing has charming little nuggets like that which I know will stay with me; it is just that good and thoughtful. Inspires me to be more ladylike ;D

It's a little too convenient for me that Jacques saved Isabelle's life. And poor, poor Jean making another awful mistake. But hey, at least Jacques has some redeeming qualities, which had to be shown for the purpose of putting him and Marie back together. It is fortunate that Marius does not know the truth about who got Jean into trouble. (Though, of course, everyone always has a choice, and Jacques cannot be entirely blamed for Jean's decisions, etc., etc.)
Sleepless Eremite chapter 10 . 4/12/2014
Very clever, Marius and Cosette, having children chaperone :3

Jacques... you dog! I was wondering about this when they were at the same cafe (oh, those cafes are veritable breeding grounds for revolutionaries).
Sleepless Eremite chapter 9 . 4/12/2014
This was my favorite chapter of the story, hands-down. I have a lot of love for Marius, and seeing him get a taste of his own medicine - whether it's having a daughter who sneaks around with a boy (as Valjean once experienced) or having someone from his family engage in dangerous, subversive political activity (as his grandfather once experienced) is a fantastic, fantastic point of character development. It allows us to see his growth since the time of the novel.

Once again, a good balance/complement between Cosette and Marius, as Cosette calmly probed, while the more emotional (understandably so!) Marius got his point across with a powerful and poignant anecdote. I think the idea that Marius and Cosette would not have told their children much about their difficult pasts until now makes sense. It wasn't a happy time for either of them, and seeing their beloved son go through something similar... it's perfectly justifiable that Marius would be this upset. His conversation with Jacques reminds me a lot of Grandfather Gillenormand's speech in the novel when he believes Marius is dead.

I love the nod to the past characters, as well as Marius' realization that what they were fighting for had come to nothing. The love and protectiveness he has for his family is obvious here, and has good reason given his past near-death experiences.

It was interesting to see this through Marie's eyes, though we still heard the whole conversation (huzzah for eavesdropping!). When Marius hugged his son crying... I shed a manly tear or two.
Sleepless Eremite chapter 8 . 4/12/2014
Hysterically funny Cosette... I love it. The truth comes out, both about her dress, and about her being paired up with Marius. The tension between Cosette and Marius over Marie's romantic relationship is good and reasonable.

And now we learn what Jean is up to! A good addition/sub-plot to the story that ends up becoming more important. It's always nice to include a little secrecy and suspense...
Sleepless Eremite chapter 7 . 4/12/2014
Hahaha... uh-oh.

I loved the talk between Marius and Cosette, and between Marius and Marie, and I love that he found the lovebirds kissing (that's what you get for sneaking around... although Marius did the same thing with Cosette)! Some of the spacing and the "to vs. too" uses are off, but otherwise this chapter was excellent.
Sleepless Eremite chapter 5 . 4/12/2014
I love the conversations between the members of the Pontmercy family. I feel like Marie's reactions to Jacques are realistic, though they seem senseless.

My one point of curiosity is why in the rest of the story more mention is not made of Louise and her experiences. Especially given everything *else* that happens with Jacques later in the story, I would have liked to see more of Marie's thought process, recollecting her friend's experience with marriage and whether she can really trust Jacques to love her and take care of her better than Gilles does Louise. (If you did talk about this and I missed it, I apologize!)

That said, I thought the part with Louise was sad, but fit for the time period. I hope Cosette is right that Gilles and Louise will learn to love each other.

Given that bit of unhappiness, Marie and Victoire's bit of humor at the end was welcome :)
Sleepless Eremite chapter 3 . 4/12/2014
Ah, Cosette is so perceptive. And the young man very clever, or manipulative. So far Jacques and Marie's relationship reminds me very much of Marius' and Cosette's early days - good luck arguing against him, M'sieur barrister Marius ;)
Sleepless Eremite chapter 1 . 4/12/2014
I basically devoured this story straight through, but it is so superb that it deserves some lingering for a few thorough reviews chapter-by-chapter! I know it's been a while since this was published, but I thought perhaps you might appreciate knowing that people still enjoy reading your excellent fics.

Normally, I don't read too many stories with canons and their children (but there is a dearth of Marius/Cosette fics here anyway, so thank you for your contribution), but I really enjoy seeing Cosette a little older. She is capable, mature, maternal - everything a maman is, ideally. No one can complain about her being useless or day-dreamy here!

As for Marie, I appreciate her likeness to a young Marius, (I do wonder what, exactly, the views you mentioned that Marius has on the republic are), and her realistic relationship with her siblings. I like the family very much.

The only thing I spotted was the complImentary/complEmentary mix-up; otherwise, this chapter is flawless! Your writing style is so, so wonderful. I can *hear* the dialogue being spoken, I can picture all the characters well. You also address with ease so many points of interest, from romance, to architecture and progress, to family, to politics. I loved it!
ROSE chapter 10 . 1/21/2014
WHAT NO THIS CANT BE HAPPENING I LOVE IT TOO MUCH NOOOOO WHY DID YOU DO THIS HOLY FUDGE NO
Rose chapter 9 . 1/20/2014
At that last part where shes talking about jaques i thought for some reason he was in that group and he'd died or something and im lik NO. SHE WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT. NO NO NO NO NO- oh ok shes bringing him back in the nxt chapter. Good. Whew.
ROSE chapter 8 . 1/20/2014