Reviews for King's Speech: Americanized for Your Protection
cluelessclown chapter 1 . 8/29/2012
That was so fun to read! I've only watched the English version...did they really change it that much? God, it's pathetic. But your fic's still hilarious. :D

Eleanor x
LeighPancakes chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
Haha this was so fun to read (: spit, spit, spit...

Leigh
The Flaming Dragonfly chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
Fudging funny! Seriously, though, I'm one of those who despises vulgarity in movies when it does nothing for the plot. But "cleaning up" this scene would hurt the plot. The language that Bertie uses is not for shock value; it proves a point. Thank you for a humorous take on this misplaced plan.
pmbs1994 chapter 1 . 5/25/2011
Im american and i saw it with all the cussing and it was very amusing when they did those scenes but i dont understand why they would want to cut it i doubt kids would want to watch its really pointless and i really liked ur cussing it was funny
neosimstyler chapter 1 . 4/16/2011
When it first came out here in the states I went to see it, it was the R-rated version and the swearing was in it..

when they announced they were re-releasing it as a pg-13 version that would remove the swearing the produces tried hard to fight the removal of the swearing saying it was part of his therapy..

however i can understand why they would cut out the swearing for families who want to take their kids to see it..
Diligens chapter 1 . 3/25/2011
Ah, but "bloody" isn't a swear word in the US so why should anyone remove that?

By the way I saw the film in the States and it had the swearing still in it, didn't realize that it was controversial considering that it had fewer swear words than the average film and all milder than the stuff one commonly hears in a public high school.

Still giggling over your inventive "cussing".
AL from England chapter 1 . 3/18/2011
Ha ha! Very good parody poking fun at US film censors...I'm British so have only seen our version, but I've heard about the silly "swearing scene" controversy. Was the whole scene cut or was some kind of banal, childish dialogue dubbed over it? Please tell me they didn't do that! Here, the film was certificated 12A meaning it is considered suitable for anyone of 12 and over, but younger children can see it with an adult. The warning simply said "contains strong language within a speech therapy context" - intriguing in itself to the uninitiated! I don't like "gratuitous" swearing but there was NOTHING gratuitous about this. A scene that was very important to the story in my opinion. It was also hilarious, especially the boys outside the room wondering what was going on, and the King's use of the word "willies" as part of his rant! It was all about having an outlet for pent up frustrations and tension - and the film censors couldn't appreciate this? The "beastly b*****ds"! I've never heard that Lionel Logue actually encouraged the King to swear during his therapy sessions in real life. He certainly doesn't refer to it in his diaries, but he said very little about the methods he used with any of his patients. I know someone who is an ex-patient of Logue and he has never mentioned this either. As a stammerer myself who prefers to avoid conflict, when roused to anger I am sometimes surprised how fluent and assertive I can be, so perhaps it works, who knows! I've never been told to swear by my speech therapist, nor roll around on the carpet come to that - perhaps I should suggest it! Anyway, thanks again for the amusing story...
Nikki-TDI chapter 1 . 3/15/2011
WTF? I just watched the English version because I live in London...that's swearing, not this sh*t. Honestly, it's so sad they just change the funniest scene in the movie...The King's Speech won 4 OSCARS with all the SWEARING in it! So yeah, you American filmmakers are just screwing it up. Really, and I thought Hollywood was open-minded...appearantly they can have Robert de Niro swearing every 5 seconds, but not Colin Firth 3 times in the whole movie. Why? I cannot tell.

KING'S SPEECH: BEST ENGLISH MOVIE EVER! :-)
fabfan chapter 1 . 2/27/2011
Beautiful. I seriously love this.

I cannot believe they're going to recut it. Hmmm, let's see. The movie has made more money than ever imagined, is up for a slew of Oscars, has already won tons of awards...but we need to recut it because we might make a smidgeon more money somehow. Um...no. This scene is vital to Bertie's development. Hell, every scene is important for the story. Oops. I said hell. Uh oh.