Reviews for Where Children Are Playing
that inbetween shade of grey chapter 1 . 8/6/2013
This is gorgeous, I think you captured them both amazingly thank you.
abbyli chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
Wow...just...wow...
you have blown me away with this epic piece of work and I just...wow...i don't think there are words for it, honey. no words. just...wow...
i've a few katniss/finnick stories up if you are interested. 'if love is an ocean wide' and 'the waves are dancing, the sea is crashing'.
allisonarrgent chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
Oh my god, I cannot tell you how much I loved this. I don’t read a lot of Hunger Games fanfiction to begin with and it’s definitely hard to find well-written Finnick/Katniss fics but this was just that – your writing from Finnick’s point of view and the way you said so much by leaving certain things unsaid and making the reader look in-between the lines to see hints of how Finnick’s feelings about Katniss gradually developed was absolutely beautiful. I particularly liked the way he was fond of her before he even met her for the first time, because she was that clever and vibrant and yet just as disgusted with having to kill as he was back when he had to partake in the Games.

Everything Finnick thought and said was completely in-character for him, which was very refreshing. Nothing about the way he acted seemed forced or fake, and your portrayal of him as so powerless and vulnerable under the cracks of the show he had to put on for the Capitol could easily pass as canon because it was that well done. Your characterization of Katniss was stunning as well, especially because of how realistically broken you wrote her. You managed to capture the essence of their relationship without missing out on the fact of how terrible the Games were and how much they impacted both Finnick and Katniss and didn’t allow them to lead normal lives. Therefore the theme of victors not being humans was gorgeous – tragic, of course, but really gorgeous because it’s such a deep and heart-breaking concept to think about in addition to all the other PTSD victors have to go through. The last line really brought it all full circle.

In addition, I’m immensely glad you mentioned Annie in this and how Finnick compared her to Katniss because although it’s a Finnick and Katniss-centric fic, Annie plays such a huge role in who Finnick is and the point of his life he’s at when Katniss enters it – which brings me to how poignant the first line of this was. It instantly grabbed my attention and never let it go until the very last line (which also killed me). Every word was perfectly placed and flowed almost like poetry, which is such a difficult thing to accomplish effectively in prose. I truly adored all the sections, but these were my favorite lines:

“The worst part was just before, and looking four's tributes in the eye and grinning and lying, ‘I'm betting on you guys.’”

“And when Haymitch comes to call, Finnick's already signing the check.”

“Finnick has seen people die. Their final moments are tattooed onto the back of his eyelids. And they snuff out bad—sometimes too fast to even realize; sometimes slow and angry, spitting blood; sometimes shaking and covered in tears. Katniss goes out blazing.”

“Almost exactly the same height as Katniss. But all different. All water and no fire and she forever slid between his fingers and he was losing her again, and again, and again. His girl who broke the odds when he could only play them. Nobody had ever bet on her.”

“She doesn't say anything to that, and they both pretend she isn't crying.”

Once again, everything about this piece was simply brilliant and I’m beyond glad you wrote it because there’s a serious lack of decent Finnick/Katniss in the fandom and I know I’ll be reading this over and over again for a while. Don’t ever stop writing, you’ve got a real talent. x
lydiamaartin chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
wow oh my god i absolutely loved this story! your writing is incredible and also the fact that it's finnick/katniss makes me so inordinately happy because i adore that pairing and the way you wrote them was just beyond beautiful!

first of all i love love LOVE how you've written finnick, his perspective in your words was amazing because you captured all his quiet brokenness and his innermost thoughts without losing the layer of charm that he keeps on top and i adored his interactions with haymitch i just really love that dynamic in general and i think you absolutely got them down! and also his relationship with annie, i'm so glad you didn't just gloss over it, because it's so important and i loved how he was comparing annie and katniss and how they were water and fire (that's actually so brilliant honestly i just adskfsd wow) and how he carved her name onto his skin, and the focus on how victors aren't meant to be human which is a theme i always always adore because i love my victors and just yes god this was all amazing.

and then katniss of course, i loved her too, and i think you absolutely captured her beautifully as well, she was so very tired and broken like finnick and the bond between them was just perfectly-written! i loved seeing her through finnick's eyes, how she was so beautiful but so broken and also deadly ("who'd held death against her mouth. Kissed it." GORGEOUS) and how he just unintentionally fell in love with her and their little moments and EVERYTHING just wow.

basically this was fantastic and thank you so much for writing it!
Mischief Not Yet Managed chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
So freaking depressing, but so freaking real
turtleducklings chapter 1 . 7/29/2012
this is gorgeous omg tears i can't

this part:

[Who's Annie.

Nobody had ever bet on her.]

gfhgdfkfghl oh my god why is their love so tortured and angsty and wonderful damn it

finnickannie will be the death of me one day i swear

especially if people like you keep writing gorgeous things like this

also, this line:

[Masquerading humans number 65 and 74 eye one-another.]

why is your writing so flawless this is literally one of the best descriptions of victors i've seen just

please stop

this was so lovely :3
Static Lull chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
This is beautiful, as your stuff inevitably always is, and it's everything I could have hoped for in an FinnickKatniss piece.
Writing4YourLove chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
One word: Amazing.
sephiesport chapter 1 . 12/17/2011
This story was incredibly well-written! I especially loved the line: "There'd been a period, years back, when he used to cut her name into his skin. Again and again, and the people who saw it, (kissed it, licked it, bit and clawed and stretched the scabs open) asked, "Who's Annie?""

The other people who have reviewed this story so far are right- you capture the overall tone of THG really, really well. Thanks for a lovely, heartbreaking story. :)
strawberriez8800 chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
Beautiful. Amazing. Fantastic. Heartbreaking. Perfection. And every other word that means GOOODNESS. I love it.
bloodbuzz chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
. . . oh my god. o.o

How they sexualize it and how Finnick notices. And when you mentioned him cutting Annie's name into his arm. And just. . . everything.

o.o
twimax chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
I am so jealous of how well you write. That was intense and amazing. It could have been written by Collins herself.
Dance Elle Dance chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
This was amazing. I can't get over how wonderfully you wrote this! I think you did a great job and everything seemed very realistic to me. Hope to read more from you!
smile1 chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
Breathtakingly beautiful. I loved the tragedy that lingered and how you put his thoughts into words. It was an amazingly good read and well written, which I always appreciate.
ahmandie chapter 1 . 5/11/2011
I liked it. It gave off the same tone as the book. Idk how to describe it! A feeling of want/desperation. Very nice. :)