Reviews for The Crimson Badger, Book I The Warlord
AvengeThem chapter 1 . 3/21/2020
Nice intro. I can see this becoming very good...
CasterWay chapter 1 . 2/26/2020
Now this. This is the ultimate opening chapter.

The way you introduced your opening character is flawless. No beating around the bush here - just boom! This badger's Urthblood, and he is gunning for something! Nothing like incredibly complicated politics that require twenty whole chapters to have an incomplete understanding - oh no. Two hundred words shall suffice.

Your description of Redwall puts many fanfic writers to shame, with its sights and smells and beasts of all sorts residing within. It is amazing how a single line from a character could indicate personalities and deliver exposition at the same time. Maybe neglecting the former for the latter wasn't *that* good of an idea.

And finally, the plot. The plot with so many trying to follow (in more ways than one), and with most still struggling with following. I know that feeling all too well. But here, it is simple enough. Morally ambiguous badger wants to protect Redwall from mysterious danger. I mean, the later stories, Latura of Redwall especially, really suffer from this Nomura-like overcomplexity, though I could say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Still, The Crimson Badger is simple enough to not deter any potential readers from getting into the series (like the first Kingdom Hearts game), and it is surely appreciated for it.

In short, I would like to applaud you for being an inspiration to Redwall fanfic writers everywhere. By reading your fic, 'we've come up with some good ideas on where to start', as Abbess Vanessa finely put it. Thank you for everything!
The Grey Coincidence chapter 2 . 1/29/2019
Per your recommendation I have decided to take your saga from where it all started... Your massive one million word saga... A daunting task- yet ironic as I can now easily relate to Winokur (spelling?) And Cyril and Cyrus. The works of Highwing-er I mean the Abbey History is a very large thing to tackle but filled with feasts and wars and battles and heroes and so forth. I especially like Cyril and Cyrus so far. Urthblood is an interesting character I guess, I've never been *too* keen on badgers, since it's hard to write 'honorable warrior in a new, fresh way. But I like him, I think. He's unique. I have of course, heard a lot about him, but his stoic attitude (taken up to eleven here) is very nicely done.
And a chain of disasters is Urthblood's prediction... The Shrew Wars I assume are one of these.
But I'll not get ahead of myself and for now I shall continue to enjoy this wonderful story.
Update soon (not redundant now that it's completed but still, the thought counts)
FoxsoulRedux chapter 12 . 8/23/2018
Fascinating.
Combat Engineer chapter 12 . 3/23/2018
As the first Redwall story I've ever read, it's certainly a great starting point I'd say.
armorhide406 chapter 1 . 1/26/2016
Great stuff. I think it felt like Redwall most of the time, except in the names and molespeech. I did notice you used the English version of "prophesied" and it was a nice touch.
TortoisetheStoryteller chapter 12 . 11/19/2015
This is an interesting idea here. I have to agree with Abbess Vanessa's assessment of Urthblood. I'm not sure what the end result of all this will be.
JYT256 chapter 12 . 9/24/2015
Excellent story. I recently found this book, and I really like this one. I know the following books in this series have been completed, and I have high expectations
Auua Ytjoml chapter 9 . 3/31/2015
Of course standards are easy to waylay or produce... and use against their original users...
TimeForced chapter 12 . 11/8/2013
I'm most of the way through this series, and all that I can really say is awesome job recreating, and then expanding upon, the feel and narrative of the series. I have a few minor quibbles, but frankly they are pointless little personal things.
I love your storytelling. Thank You. And keep up the good work.
The OMG Cat chapter 12 . 11/15/2012
wow. The redwallers are so raceist _
Jade TeaLeaf chapter 12 . 12/18/2011
Did I ever mention to you how much I love this story? You have a nice little turning-of-the-cultures thing going here and everything that Urthblood has been doing is pretty realistic. There are no good vermin turning up out of nowhere, the Redwallers are human enough to treat them with mixed feelings and concerns, and the reformed vermin have had a dark past as well. I for one do not really believe that a warlord would turn good, but I do believe that given the right circumstances, the common everyday vermin would be more than likely to turn on the good side. At first it would be for a warm meal and a place to stay, but in the end it would be for the vision of equality. The only thing that does not seem quite right is Machus and Mina's speech, as they lack no accent whatsoever. Then again, the Gawtrybe aren't the same savage rabbles and the smartest foxes seem to speak the smoothest in Redwall books.

Reading the next installment soon. :)

Jade TeaLeaf chapter 11 . 12/18/2011
I really do love Urthblood and Machus. There just seemed something touching and honest about their bond. Though the badger lord did kind of botch the first impression with his candor, I think it showed a lot about his character. Speaking of which, you do a great job referring back to the good old series and making us feel at home with the characters. It seems that I have a lot of ground to cover before I catch up. Better read fast. :)

Jade TeaLeaf chapter 3 . 12/18/2011
Your writing style is top-notch, wot! :)

I actually like Urthblood's taciturn and blunt matter of speech. He's not impolite, but I just couldn't help but smile at his analysis of Redwall's architecture. I never thought of those possible battle strategies myself and I think it's impressive that you came up with that. Honestly, it makes me wonder why none of the villains had even considered taking the abbey out from the inside like that. Maybe Ironbeak was the best strategist, but he pretty much failed anyways.

I love your writing style and the voices that you give the characters sound very authentic to Redwall so great job! :) The only thing that I found dubious was the fact that a sparrow was sparring adeptly with a stick. From what I know, sparrows don't really have the right flexibility in their legs to do such a thing; but then again this entire story is based on talking, sword-fighting animals so it's not so far-fetched after all. :P

I have heard a lot about your stories and your name keeps popping up everywhere. I shall continue to read so please keep writing. :)

Lan Gu chapter 12 . 12/13/2011
Once again, I shall express much disdain at how the Redwaller are acting! It is exactly how they would react to! Thats what makes me angry. They should not just assume that every non-woodlander is evil! Ugh!

And now I will continue onto the next book. This is already a classic, and i can't wait for more.