Reviews for The Wilderness
MrsMargaret chapter 19 . 1/11
This is an amazing story ! Having discovered it after I have read "Flames" it got me hooked immediately while reading the first chapter. A worthy continuation of the movie if Alice and Uncas had survived the cliffs.
You handled every character very thoughful and with great empathy, especially the characters of Alice and Uncas. Just like in "Flames" your writing style is very varied and fluent and you are able to fill your plot with vivid and beautiful pictures.

A story to be proud of and a story which gives a wonderful tribute to the pairing of Alice and Uncas.
Thanks for sharing!
sweetrupturedlight chapter 19 . 12/10/2014
Lady of Glencairn recommended your story with a: GO AND READ THIS, ITS WONDERFUL. I agree completely. How fantastically well written, a realistic, completely in character portrayal of the wonderful love story the movie ended so abruptly. I realise this was written many years ago. I do hope that someday you return to it. Wonderful work
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 19 . 12/10/2014
This story is one of the best I've ever read. Honestly, it was so well written, thought out, executed. I wish I had an unlimited amount of praise to shower upon you, because it is so richly deserved, but all I have is perfection. It well and truly is pure, unadulterated perfection.

Thank you for writing it. It was so nuanced, light in places, heavy and dark in others; such a wonderful balance. I'd love to know if you ever plan to revisit these characters? I'm so greedy for more!

Again, excellent work.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 18 . 12/10/2014
Have I mentioned that I just love how you tell your story in such a way that I don't feel the need to read endless lines of words? There is just enough to satisfy my need for speech and the rest is thought, gestures, body language. Marvelous.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 17 . 12/10/2014
Seamless. Your narrative is so seamless. It all fits together, perfectly. Urgh. This is so good.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 16 . 12/10/2014
How nice of the men to think of the ladies' comfort. Well, probably their own too, but it's a wonderful gesture.

Ahh, Alice...
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 15 . 12/10/2014
This is just heartbreaking. I could feel myself tearing midway through.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 14 . 12/10/2014
Interesting how for the first time the roles between the sisters are reversed. At the end of the previous chapter and the beginning of this one: Alice is the one taking care of Cora. That inner strength that one would assume she doesn't possess is coming to the fore. She's changing.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 13 . 12/10/2014
Ha! She wants him to leave her alone and yet is disappointed when he does that exact thing. Methinks the lady doth protest too much!
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 12 . 12/10/2014
Gosh, you *get* it. So many writers are eager to race to a happily ever after for their characters that they don't take the time to lay down a solid basis that justifies the end. The best stories emerge when a writer is true to the characters and writes them as they are.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 11 . 12/10/2014
There truly is a time and a place for dialogue and I love how you use it when needed and at other times use Alice's thoughts as a means of explaining the passage of time.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 10 . 12/10/2014
I love how you contrast the reality of where Alice is with the fantasy of where she comes from. Very stark. Very beautiful.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 9 . 12/10/2014
This is pure perfection. Seriously.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 8 . 12/10/2014
I can't say this enough, but you manage to keep them all in character. It would have been completely silly to imagine Alice suddenly a confident woman, no longer missing the comfort and safety of the home she remembers. Laying this foundation - her confusion, anger, determination to go back to England - is completely realistic. Very well done.
LadyOfGlencairn chapter 7 . 12/10/2014
I want desperately to say something clever and interesting, but the truth of the matter is, this story, thus far, is the best I've read in this fandom (and in many others).