Reviews for The Lie
raven8989 chapter 12 . 1/15
This is incredible! honestly this is the closest thing I've read to an actual episode of The Office, you've captured all of the characters phrasing and language perfectly well done!
earthycashew chapter 2 . 6/11/2012
So you DID like up information for Battle Star Galatica! XD niiiice. But besides that, it's really admirable that you went that far to make the story accurate. .

I'm LOVING this story so far, can't wait to read more x33
fishe153 chapter 12 . 7/27/2011
You wrapped this up very nicely. I liked how it came full circle with the art show being one of the last things discussed after it was one of the first (if not the first) thing brought up in this story.

I really liked Oscar calling Angela a pain in the ass, but also saying he cared about her. That about sums up the audience's view of Angela as well!

I also laughed when Kevin demonstrated his staring abilities to the cowokers. It was totally something he would do.

For the whole story, I'd say I am very impressed. You really did a great job describing the character's feelings, and you played each character perfectly to weave together a satisfying climax. The clever references to precise things in the office throughout always made me smile, along with your own original jokes and quirks. Great work :D
fishe153 chapter 11 . 7/27/2011
I definitely liked the "will they/won't they" tension, especially at the end of the previous chapter. The hopelessness Jim felt was really well related and very enjoyable.

I really like how you compared the solid foundation with quicksand, and said Pam and Roy's romance was on autopilot. I also could sympathize with Jim wondering if he would be a middle-aged bachelor.

I felt nervous with Pam as she left Roy and went to get Jim, even though I knew inevitably this story would end with them together. I think that says a lot about your writing skill!

Thanks a lot for the story, and I look forward to seeing how it wraps up :)
fishe153 chapter 10 . 7/27/2011
As always, very nice work. I really liked how you wrote Michael as the self-proclaimed life of the party. He's sort've like the self-proclaimed life of everything XD You really summed up half his character in just a few words there.

I really liked the line "Courage, Pam," that Oscar said. It was simple, but moving.

It was funny when you compared Michael facing Jan to facing a firing squad, and I was very impressed how you describe Jan talking to Jim as an "awkward shift to calm civility". Good use of words :)

Creed's advice on homelessness was pretty funny. I wonder how much time he's spent homeless?

It was really interested that Ryan wasn't told about the job. If he doesn't get it, it would be really cool, adding to the alternate-reality feel of the story.

fishe153 chapter 9 . 7/27/2011
I liked the hinting at 'The Finer Things Club' that was pretty clever.

It's rare to see Darryl talking a lot in fanfictions, and I liked his conversation with Jim. You definitely wrote Roy's dialogue really well, too. The whole scene felt very real.

I was surprised at Karen involving herself in Jim and Pam's romance, as it was what tore them apart. Especially taking a positive role in it. I always really liked Karen, and wish she hadn't left the show. It would have been interesting to keep her around. I like this fanfiction for many reasons, one of them being the unique ways you portray her.

I don't know why, but for some reason Kevin saying: "Dude, you know it" made me smile. I really liked that line XD
fishe153 chapter 8 . 7/27/2011
I really like how you take major events from season three like Jim's breakup with Karen and the corporate interviews, but put your own twist on them to make them fit into your fanfiction. It's really cool.

I liked how Dwight got all emotional when he had to apologize to Jim (and Michael's rash "Apologize or Jim will quit" was spot on!).

I really look forward to reading Jim's conversation with Pam when they go to lunch! Great work.
fishe153 chapter 7 . 7/27/2011
I like how Jim completely ignores Dwight now, and that Dwight actually is bothered by it. I think it's an accurate portrayal of how these characters would react in this situation.

I really liked how Dwight thought Michael was a good confidant, it really emphasized how distorted Dwight's view of Michael is. I liked how he admitted that he was feeling guilty, and the bizarre metaphors he thought of to describe it.

I was really glad we got to see Michael's interaction with Schneider. He really is a great salesman, and it's nice seeing him do something he's competent at.

I look forward to seeing how he tells David about how it wasn't Jim's fault, and how Jim reacts to that. Great work!
fishe153 chapter 6 . 7/27/2011
Great work, again! I like seeing all these different character perspectives, as I think they'll make it really interesting when the climax comes together. I like knowing what's in everyone's heads.

Having Karen break up with Jim was a bold move. I definitely respect that. I look forward to seeing if she'll move away, like she did when Jim broke up with her in the real show, or if she'll stay, and how it will affect their interactions. I also really want to see how this information will affect Pam.

I'd like to comment on the very nice subtle references to precise things in the office, like Pam not immediately transferring Michael to Jan so that he doesn't say something embarrassing, or Jan off-handedly saying she's interested in selling candles, or Jim wanting to be a sports writer.

Now, believe me, I wouldn't point this out if it weren't for how incredible your fanfiction is. These are the first two errors I have found in your entire story, and having just 2 problems for as many sentences as you wrote is still totally fantastic. Here they are:

"What, and got the full Dwight experience?" asked Mark.

'Got' should be 'get'

Karen felt train of thought going off the rails for a moment.

The word 'her' should be between the words 'felt' and 'train'
fishe153 chapter 5 . 7/26/2011
The same general praise I gave you for spelling/grammar has reached a five-chapter streak. Seriously, considering your probably self-edited this, it is extremely impressive. I often read my stuff four times over before posting it, and still find errors when I re-read it later. It's so nice and smooth to read something with no flaws.

I really liked Helen's brief POV, as she's a minor character who has more insight into Pam than anyone else on the show except Pam, but at this point Pam isn't being honest with herself, giving Helene the best medium to see her through. I didn't realize this until I read your fanfiction, and I'm grateful I picked up on it.

I liked how you showed Dwight expressing guilt, which he never showed before. It's powerful that he only showed that sensitive side to Angela, when he didn't even act unsure to Michael. It really brings out how much trust Dwight has with Angela.

My favorite line was when Pam describe how oil painting was different from water color (did you research that, or did you just know?) and then Roy didn't respond and brought something else up to the rest of the table. It was really human-like and believable.

fishe153 chapter 4 . 7/26/2011
Once again, great work. I should point out the perfect spelling/grammar, as well as the impressive vocabulary again, as they have stayed consistent for four chapters.

Beyond the technical stuff, this fic seems just like something that could be on the office. I especially appreciate the POV of Oscar sections, as he is the best medium to view the accounting department in, and his perspective on Jim/Pam and his own social life is very interesting.

Michael cutting line about Toby leaving his family was right on! My favorite scene was when Michael came out and announced to the office that Jim was being immature, only to nearly break down and retreat back into his room. It was dramatic, and very much like Michael. Great work!
fishe153 chapter 3 . 7/26/2011
Really great chapter, again! I really liked Jim's conversation with Michael, it was really dramatic, and both of them were really in character. I laughed when Kevin said Oscar wouldn't understand "guy talk". I've always liked the three accountant associating with each other, as they're all so different and yet have a great conversational chemistry. You did a really good job showing the duality of Kevin as being the fat stupid guy, but also the dedicated friend. A lot of times the show focuses on his stupid side, but you actually gave more weight to his dedicated friend side, which makes him seem more real and likeable. Kudos.

I really like how Pam's seeing Jim and Karen kiss helped influence her decision to go home with Roy. That's a good observation on human emotions on your part.

I really look forward to how Michael and Pam will react to Jim's deciding to quit. I look forward to the next chapter :)
fishe153 chapter 2 . 7/26/2011
I am very impressed at how you go from one POV to the other and pull each one off very well. Overall, I really like this plot. the conflict is really good and believable, and Jim's conversation with David was just as cringe-worthy as a lot of the uncomfortable material on the office XD I can't wait to see how Jim talks to Michael and Dwight now.

Also, I liked the little things too, like Creed laughing when Jim and Pam laughed, or thinking Michael killed someone. I thought the apple situation was pretty clever, and definitely showed maturity as a writer.

fishe153 chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
First of all, I'd like to say that the concept for this story is very smart, and very true to the Office. Your use of vocabulary gave this story a level of professionalism that I have yet to see in another fanfiction on this site. You didn't overdo it, it just came naturally (I looked up a few words that I will definitely use many times, thanks to you!).

I really liked when Pam was thinking about Jim not going to her art show. Pam was most interesting in the first three seasons, and you take advantage of her complicated inner turmoil very well, which isn't an easy thing.

Michael's situation with Jan, and Jan's inner-thoughts were both very well written.

My sole criticism (and I really mean 'sole' when I say it, because this chapter was perfect right down to the spelling and grammar) was that the first chapter was too long. When writing stories, especially internet stories, it's best to ease your readers into, and have the length of the chapter mirror how invested in the story you expect them to be at that point. Towards the middle, long chapters are acceptable and sometimes great, because the readers really want a lot at once. They don't at the beginning, though. They haven't had enough time to get invested enough to want to read that much. It could even repel readers who might have otherwise read your story.

Your opener wasn't excessively long, by any means, but, in my opinion, it was a a bit too long. But that's more of a judgement call than anything else!

Really, great work!
tlc27 chapter 12 . 5/16/2011
Well, I just read through this story and I decided I should leave a review of what I thought of it. It was definitely an intriguing story idea. I got to say that I love each and every chapter. I think you got each character (particularly Michael [I could literally picture the scene with David Wallace in chapter 8 in my head as a real scene!]) in character. That's all I really want in the story, just the characters IN character. It's really hard to find such amazing stories like this on .

Oh and on another note, I really love that you included Dwangela in this story :).

I hope to see more "The Office" fanfiction from you!
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »